News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Petersen

Oceanside CC (Ormond Beach, FL)
« on: April 04, 2006, 07:24:45 PM »
 :D Just received an invitation to play Oceanside CC, but other than Pine Tree, Seminole, World Woods & Indian Creek, I didn't think there was much in the way of "gems" in the FLA. Any ideas about the course? Heard that the Rockefellers were charter members, but nothing on google or this site. What would it rank on the Doak scale?

Any infor would be much appreciated. See you guys in Palm Desert!!! ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Mitch Hantman

Re:Oceanside CC (Ormond Beach, FL)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 07:51:30 PM »
I can't speak as to the Doak scale, but it isn't in the top anything list, but is quite fun, a nice restoration, and has quite a few well done holes.  I enjoyed it.  

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 07:55:56 PM »
It's a fairly easy, non-descript Florida course with plenty of lateral hazards. The name is a bit of a misnomer since none of it sits on the ocean. I haven't played it since my college days, but I'd guess it would be a 3 or 4 on the Doak scale.

I know Bobby Weed lists the club as a club where he consults, but I don't know what he may have done there.

My college coach once shot 58 there.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 01:39:18 AM »
 :) Thanks for the insight, guys... Sounds like a "when the area" rather than a "let's check expedia.com" kind of course... From the name, I was thinking old, dramatic, under the radar and quirk at its finest. Glad I went to the ultimate resource, GCA.com ;)

Thanks again, guys!
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 08:48:52 AM »
I believe the former incarnation of the course was the Ormond Hotel Golf Links, once a winter playground for the northern elites of the period (1900-1929).  One of Dan Wexler's lost links books mentions it as a pretty good test, although it was rather rugged and penal running through some dense seaside underbrush.  

I'm not sure when the original course went out of use or was redesigned, as the book is at home, but it appears it has been replaced by the course described above.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back