News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

redanman

Re:James B's Big Trip - US and UK
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2006, 08:53:53 PM »
Rescuing this thread from page FOUR (!), our now good friend and mate James is currently in the air on his way to Paris, France, perhaps the world's greatest city.  He's left america on his way to the UK, last seen by Jason Mandel. We treated him to a bit of good old fashioned April showers yesterday, he did not make it off the east coast unscathed although in general the weather he brought to us was glorious.

For me it was  a great week spending time with James and playing a little pasture pool, learning about cricket and the fineries of the wicket as well as discussing wine, politics, driving on the left and right, choices available in different countries and of course the goff.

Come back soon, James, your company is missed already.

Bill
« Last Edit: April 23, 2006, 08:55:02 PM by redanmanŽ aka BillV »

James Bennett

« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2006, 08:40:53 AM »
I have made it to Leeds, relatively unscathed.  However, my golf clubs are still in transit.  Given my golf on Saturday with several inches of rain, I think my clubs feel like they are not wanted.  I hate to think what I shot - possibly 100 or more.  I don't want to count, but I will always remember the day.

Merion East was also a real treat, but those narrow fairways - oh it gave no joy to an errant driver. Seeing Merion West (drove around in a cart) - now that was a pleasant surprise.  I saw that downhill drop shot of just over 100 yards that Mark Rowlinson apparently called a par 4.  What a stretch of holes that is with the two following short par 4's.  I saw the 'installed fans' there - I can imagine how steamy it is down in the valley by the greens during summer.

Friday was at Beechtree with Steve Sayers - a great day discussing club politics, Master Plans and of course golf.  The back nine reminded me of parts of St Andrews beach, with pins on adjacent greens set behind each other on the line of play, and some flags barely visible from the tee, plus the wild greens and the very good tie-ins to the surrounds.  However, one difference was the appearance of the rough - it is a lot greener in east coast US in April than St Andrews Beach is in March.

One comment about golf in Philly vs the west coast.  I had the pleasure of firm and fast in Philly as the weather (till Saturday).  Plainfield was exceptional, as was Rolling Green (albeit with narrower fairways).  But so were parts of Monterey Peninsula CC.  The experience of play on great, undulating greens that slope with, across and away from you is quite different depending on the firmness of the greens.  

We have previously discussed the time element of an enjoyable shot (foirm and fast produces the longest level of enjoyment).  If I may use an example, playing to the redanish green after a couple of inches of rain is like premature ejaculation - the excitement was all there, but the joy just doesn't last as long.

Now I'm in the UK, and it looks like the next game might be Royal Cinque Ports, if my clubs turn up.  Sorry Mayday, you'll have to wait for the analysis of east vs west.  And I'll send you a disk of Rolling Green photos - IM me an address.  

cheers everyone, and thanks for the memories

I nearly forgot.  I spent yesterday with Jason Mandel at White Manor.  Now there is a great modern course.  If you haven't been, I encourage you to go and see it.  Plenty of photos, thanks to the mandel family camera.  Some wonderful greens and some great tree removal creating width and strategy.  I wish I had an opportunity to see Bobby weed.  I look forward to seeing some of the 'before and after' of White Manor that Jason has.  To see a routing where some holes were shortened from before (par 3's, par 4's and par 5's) - now that is a pleasant turn-up!

James B
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 11:42:05 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

TEPaul

« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2006, 01:58:32 PM »
".....Paris, France, perhaps the world's greatest city."

And then again, redanman, perhaps not!!

But I'll tell you what---it just may have a fighting chance at that label, if, for starters, it didn't have any of the French in it.

;)  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2006, 02:43:17 PM »
playing to the redanish green after a couple of inches of rain is like premature ejaculation - the excitement was all there, but the joy just doesn't last as long.

Quote of the year -- a new architectural definition of "slow and soft" vs. "fast and firm!"   ;D

ed_getka

« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2006, 03:52:09 PM »
Nicely done Ace. I wasn't sure how to respond to that one. ;D
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

wsmorrison

« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2006, 06:18:58 PM »
James,

Not a word about your one and only baseball game?  OK it was only the Fightin' Phils (they lost 10-4) but it was a pleasant evening at a beautiful stadium with fellow golfers and other all-around good guys.

redanman

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2006, 09:23:55 PM »
Ed

That phrasing was discussed for character and content quite enthusiastically, but James in the end chose his original verbilization to the word I'll have you know.

Bill

James Bennett

« Reply #82 on: April 25, 2006, 03:10:18 AM »
Bill V

I couldn't remember the mdical phrase for the condition, so had to use the original phrase.  It still seems appropriate.

Wayne M

How could I have omitted that memorable night, apart from missing the first two innings when the Washington Nationals scored 9 runs.  The last time I saw a team called the Washington Nationals it was 40 years ago in Adelaide in a small basketball stadium, and they were playing the Harlem Globetrotters.  The Washington Nationals ability to win a game has either improved, or the fightin' Phillies should be spelt more like 'phightin phillies' - LOL.

I'll probably remember the wrong parts of the game, like those five 'cool' dudes in their crimson suits trying to dance on the 3rd baseline, and the 7th innings stretch (we strethed right out of the stadium)..  Great stadium, and I have my 'free' John Rollins skull cap to take home with me.  It was a memorable night, even if the game was never a game.  I see that Phille has had a win against Floroda marlins, but one of the few things I learnt about baseball whilst I was there is that they have a very low payroll for the players, so I guess the win is not unexpected.

Bob H

I had my shower at Merion, as instructed.  Yes, it was exceptional.  Willie D told me that my shower cubicle was the one that Nixon used when he played there.  Willie prefers the shower that Bob Hope would use when he played there.  I thought the Nixon shower was appropriate given my 'labelling' by our fellow golfers as 'long ball James' (I have never been called such a thing in my life before).  When that moniker got shortened to 'LBJ' an amazing political hotspot discussion occurred for about 5 minutes.  Ah, the things we remember.

cheers guys.

James B
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 03:24:47 AM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Bennett

« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2006, 09:09:27 AM »
Rescued from page 4, again

Not much happened this week.  My golf clubs turned up two days after I arrived in Leeds.  I think the baggage handlers in Charles De Gaulle found the bag a bit difficult (tres difficule).  Its been work this week.  I thought I might post a couple of photos from a marvellous, publicly accessable place called pacific grove.  It is the only course where I was 'challenged' as to my intent when on course.

I walked the back nine one morning, and stumbled on three old guys enjoying their golf, apparently playing in a seniors game.  Turns out one is a course marshall at other times, hence his challenging me for not having a ticket whilst being on the course.  So, I stayed with this group as I walked and chatted.  This guy (Jonathon) says to me "If you want to understand how to play this course, you should go to a web-site called GolfClubAtlas.com and look up MyHomeCourse and see the post by Adam Clayman on Pacific Grove'.  I'm not Adam Clayman, but it was like being in the presence of the Pizzaman!  Turns out Jonathon Shoemaker is well known to many at Pacific grove, and apparently is leading the senior comp money earnings list (however that is worked out).  Thought a couple of photos of guys really enjoying themselves on a delightful, low-cost facility would add a bit of balance to some other asepcts of my recent posts.  

Jonathon with the 16th green behind.

About the 12th hole (I think)

I'll be in London tonight, and hopefully golf starts again on Sunday.

James B

Eric Franzen

« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2006, 09:17:46 AM »
Oh, yes. That's the 12th hole.

Nice pictures.

I just love that course!

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2006, 11:42:18 AM »
Ty James. Jonathan has his own rich history. He use to run the range for the Pebble beach company back when it was a consolidation of people, instead of numbers.
 He also wrote an interesting book on the golf swing. Self published I believe, so it may be a bit rare.

Someday, when the powers have their way, people like Jonathan and the other seniors will not be able to afford PG.

At least you were able to chronicle a time when they were. Thanx again.

A bit of Gca, The picture of the left bunker on 16. It used to be this nasty deep scar in the ground. Supposedly there were some vandals who took to the green one saturday night night in their vehicles.  With a men's club tourney the next day, Mike Leach was able to get his crew to get the place playable by the time the tourney came through. And have reconstructed the entire green and surrounds,. One day, a good golfer took 17 shots to get out of said scar on his way to a 21 for the hole. Wh at's Ironic is the very next day I made a three out of her. ;D

James Bennett

« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2006, 11:51:09 AM »
Adam

my pleasure.  I felt a real sense of community amongst that group of gents.  Ron the book-collector sends his regards as well.

James B

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2006, 12:09:48 PM »
One last bit, the picture of the twelfth hole illustrates what I was trying to convey on conditioning in the Apache Stronghold thread. Can anyone honestly say this picture looks any different than AS?
It was the twelfth hole where my opinion on varied conditions was formed. The unpredictable lies and sparse turf, on much of the inside elbow, caused me to realize how inconsequential perfect conditions really are. What I realized was that, even from horrible lies, the ability to overcome the short-coming was as thrilling and as much as a mental exercise, as any other aspect of the sport. Consistency is nice, a bit pampered, but has zero influence on the quality of the hole from a gca perspective.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 12:10:59 PM by Adam Clayman »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2006, 12:18:16 PM »
Adam:

I'm with you on this.  I've never had any issues with PG Muni - and yes, the odd patches of dirt of barren spots or whatever are part of the charm.

I just have one slight difference, maybe:  I don't think anyone is asking for consistency, and I know no one is asking for perfect.

If it's one big dirt patch with absolutely no grass, that takes it a bit too far, no?

And although it's still hard to figure out from all of the takes on AS, well... if it's nothing but dirt, mud, whatever, 100%... that's not golf.  Golf is meant to be played on grass.  It doesn't have to be consistent, it sure doesn't have to be perfect... but it does have to exist.

Thus the questions about AS.

TH

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2006, 02:52:02 PM »
Huck, No one ever said there wasn't turf on either course. Although that inside leg on the 12th at PG gets awefuly close. Before I was haunting the place, I understand that entire hole was choaked by iceplant. So, the conditions are to be somewhat expected in that area, and, are much preferable to the P plant.
The point all along has been to call into question when specific indviduals project a holier than thou attitude as it relates to conditioning. I've been in disagreement before with these assessments at certain courses, and IMO the reporting is not accurate. Also, many times the criticism doesn't take into consideration a region's specific issues, maintenancewise.

Truthfully, It was my hope, NOT to get into little obtuse name calling back and forths, rather try to inform where I see either an inherent bias, or, just plain snooty BS talk. Also, the timing of conditioning comments, made by some, on several courses, has been years old. When in reality it only takes a short period of time to get a course back into shape. Site specific, of course.

P.s.
James, Sorry for the hijack.
Jonathan Shoemaker is one real nice person. Funny you mentioned him, I was just thinking about him yesterday. Jon has one of the more interesting ways to mark his golf ball. He does it to make sure no one ever hits a wrong ball, in his group, especially him. He draws simulated baseball seams and it works very effectively. The reason I thought of him was... I played in my first Nebraska gangsome the other day. It appears the gangsome is something I might have to get use to, and using Jonathan's ball marking method would eliminate one potential problem.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 03:02:50 PM by Adam Clayman »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2006, 03:01:01 PM »
Adam:

Understood.  I hand't looked at it that way at all.  The holier-than-thou attitude is troubling for sure.  You and I are on the same page here... I just also find that the common reaction to conditions complaints seems to be "you have to have it like Augusta" - check the AS thread, it's all over that.  Well that's not true either....

TH

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2006, 05:05:54 PM »
Latest sightings

Great to meet you James.  I look forward to seeing which links you drift off to next.
Let's make GCA grate again!

James Bennett

« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2006, 05:24:49 PM »
As Tony Muldoon has posted, today was a suny day in Deal (Royal Cinque Ports), after a brief visit up the road Himalaya hunting (Tony's story) abd walking the public footpathe at Royal St Georges.  Wednesday looks like Painswick with Sean A.

I managed to lose a ball at RCP underthe oly tree on the course (about 14 I think).  As per the last 4 weeks, Imanaged toplay in sunshine well the back nine anyway) and had a great day.  Definately the least elevation change of any course  I have played so far, but the undulation in the fairways was unbelievable.  And the greens - well I am glad it is early in the season.  What wonderful movement.

RCP is a greta exponent of short grass, firm and fast fairways, short grass and hard but not too fast greens (just as well given the wonderful slopes) and gathering, concave rivetted deep bunkers.  I have never played such a course before- hopefully I will see some more in the old dart over the next fortnight in between family tours.

Oh, and I had an Adolph Hitler on the par 3 (?7) - two in the bunker plus a penalty for hitting myself with the ball!.  Actually, the bunkers are the only time at RCP that you would think ofpalying a lob wedge.  That technology is pretty redundant at RCP on the fairway/rough- too much bounnce in the greens for that strategy.

Thanks Tony-good luck with those Himalyas on 8 and 11.

James B

Sean_A

« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2006, 12:06:21 PM »
James was seen today quite near Painswick Beacon taking a quid off me.  We had a most enjoyable game under glorious sunshine.  The match ended on the 18th with a casual two putt by Mr. OZ.  James is a proper chap who is also very engaging.  All in all, not a bad guy to spend a few hours with.

I have softened my views on the course though first impressions are hard to ignore.  The condition of the course is still suspect (easily the worst I have seen so far this year and enough to thwart some of the enjoyment), but the par 3 6th and views from the fort are the stars of the course.  There are also a handful of lovely greensites such as the 3rd, 11th and 15th.  

It will be interesting to hear James' take on Painswick.    

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 12:08:14 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Bennett

« Reply #94 on: May 03, 2006, 12:08:43 PM »
Well, it was Painswick today.  It was a miserable, wet day in Bath yesterday but as it was golf today - full sunshine.  And, we got to use the grass tees, and the 15th green was just returned to play.

The first hole certainly sets the feel of the course - the tee shot is one thing (incredibly steep uphill) but the pitch from the undulations around the green is something else.  When you finally reach the fort at the top (about hole 5) the 360 degree panoramic view is something else. I think I understand quirk.

Sean agreed to no shots in our game (he was entitled to one shot) and I won one up, and won a pound!  I turned to salute those on the balcony, and all I could see was the spirit of Bill McBride.  There was a bi crowd inside having the carvery though.

I enjoyed what will probably be my one and only visit to Painswick (although I may take my wife that way tomorrow on our travels as she will enjoy the view, the dogs running around the course and the horse riding along the fairways).  The double fairways, small greens and humps and hollows create a unique par 67, full of fun.  I'm not sure whether I could deal with three days in a row, as per the Buda Cup in 2004.  By the way, the golfclubatlas clock hangs proudly in the Painswick clubhouse.  Unfortunately it does not describe the outcome of that Buda Cup.  Who won?  And who found the clock (was it Goodale).

PS  thanks Phillip Gawith for the kind offer, but that was the second book I acquired when I discovered GCA.  I expect it will find a good home north of Hadrians Wall - there are plenty of pictures to keep such a person amused!

Next golf stop will be somewhere in scotland I expect.  Thanks for the game Sean, see you down under when you convince your wife of the long trip.

James Bennett

PS Tony Muldoon, I must ring you, I still have your damn book.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #95 on: May 03, 2006, 12:19:37 PM »
I am sure it will find a home James. ;)

I am very much looking for your considered reflections, pictures etc on this amazing journey when you have returned home. I am sure many will read it with interest.

You are a lucky man!

James Bennett

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2006, 08:03:46 AM »
I'm still alive,and at Rich Goddale's (briefly), delivering the old Titleist 90 from Pine Valley.

Have seen/played Deal (with Tony Muldoon), Painswick (Sean Arble), Dornoch, Boat of Garten, Old Course, Nth berwick West and East (and drove past all the Gullane etc.

Now a bit of\lunch with Rich before heading south to Leeds for the family wedding.

North Berwick was absolutely mind-blowing.  No time to post now, but I have threads and topics a plenty for my return - if you are interested.

chees all

James B
« Last Edit: May 10, 2006, 08:04:10 AM by James Bennett »

ed_getka

« Reply #97 on: May 12, 2006, 04:30:24 PM »
James,
    I anticipate you will need to take a sabbatical from work when you return to have time to share adequately. Delighted to hear you enjoyed North Berwick. How about that walk up #1 fairway at Painswick? :o
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #98 on: May 12, 2006, 05:47:28 PM »
James, my spirit does indeed reside at Painswick. I absolutely love that place, and just get the biggest kick out of the course. The boys on the balcony served tea and toast when my wife and I visited last July.  One of these days I may become a member.

FYI, the US team was triumphant at Buda 2004.  Who knows about 2006 which will be played at a more famous venue up the coast in Hoylake.  And it was indeed Mr. Goodale who procured the lovely if slightly askew clock.

Did you slip in a round at Alwoodley while in Leeds?  I do hope so, it's a great course with wonderful members.

You certainly had a great trip, jealousy abounds!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2006, 05:48:25 PM by Bill_McBride »

James Bennett

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2006, 03:17:08 PM »
Bill McBride

yes, a round at Alwoodley, at 4pm for the 35pound rate.  Lovely to compare with Moortown (which I played last year) and to compare 1908 era MacKenzie with his 1925 type work in Oz and California.  Topics for my return.

And the weather was fabulous (23 and sunny), especially for the wedding in Leeds on Friday (reception in the afternoon in the gardens at Harrogate).  We flew out to St Tropez on Saturday, in the midst of the worst weather of the last 6 weeks - 10 degrees and rain.  Still, it was a good day for driving.  The weather here for the extended wedding celebrations in St Tropez is just glorious.

4 days to go and we return home.  Don't know if I will play here or not - you never know what will happen in St Tropez.

edit - I forgot to add that we stayed at North berwick and saw that course, along with Boat of Garten and a game at the Old Course (also saw Dornoch).  A highlight was to visit FBD and Rihc Godale, the latter at Aberdour on a sunny afternoon, enabling the glorious views across the Firth of Forth back to Edinburgh.  It was a view that reminded me of San Francisco from across the Bay, albeit without the skyscrapers.  A glorious spot indeed.  Damn, I forgot to give Rihc the Pine Valley Titleist.  Have to do that delivery next time!
cheers all

James B
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 03:21:43 PM by James Bennett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back