News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Re:James B's Big Trip - US and UK
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2006, 11:07:16 PM »
Shopping with my wife has finished.  One pair of orthotics for my feet were an unplanned purchase.  I hope they get Bill V's stamp of approval next week.

Tully, what are the staff doing now?  4 inches of rain in a day, on top of everything else.  Wow.  I had a good afternoon at Meadow.

Re Meadow drainage -  the greens only need a couple of dry hours to be plyabale from my brief experience.  The fairways, well, thats another matter.  I expect there are parts for Tully that resemble a form of quicksand - stay to long in one spot and you will be a few inches shorter quite quickly.  I understand why you use boards to manage work on the course at this time.  Best wishes Tully.

By the way, it was 85 here today in Vegas, and 60 overnight - glorious.  We leave for the big apple tomorrow (and rain is forecast for Vegas on the weekend, when I'm not there ;).  We'll see what East Coast weather is all about soon.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Bennett

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2006, 01:43:05 AM »
PS  If anyone sent me an email to my personal email - sorry but my computer says no.  I've lost (? ???) my old in-box, and anything sent in April prior to today.  So, If I haven't emailed a response, sorry but I haven't received it.  IM me instead - sorry again.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2006, 05:50:01 AM »
Apparently, there has been so much rain in NorCal that the natives are revolting - and coming to Scotland!
We await the arrival of Pl. and Mrs Dodd and the PG Golf Team with great anticipation ;).

No-one told me Pasatiempo was such a fine rain magnet. It HAMMERED it down the day we visited too! I posted a fine pic of BillV and EdG in the waterfall on the fifth green.

BTW, Great reporting James. Vicarious golf travel is possibly even as good as the real thing. I get the feeling I am not the only one becoming rapidly more and more viridescent with every passing Post!

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2006, 06:47:51 AM »

BTW, Great reporting James. Vicarious golf travel is possibly even as good as the real thing. I get the feeling I am not the only one becoming rapidly more and more viridescent with every passing Post!

FBD.

James will be arriving to nice NYC weather today. A source (James himself) has told me that he will be abstaining from golf course tours for the weekend to attend Broadway shows with his Mother-in-law !! Alas, all will be well next week when he ships them off to Kennedy Airport on Sunday night and James gets back to priorities of reporting on some of New York and Philly's finest next week.

James Bennett

« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2006, 06:57:35 PM »
No golf today in NY - the forecast was for rain :o.  so the Metropolitan Museum of Art instead.  We'll see what happens tomorrow.  No golf in Vegas either - strip walking, a helicopter flight at the West Rim and a shopping day with my wife all three days.  Pretty good after 7 days of golf.  Getting ready for another 7 days (or more) from now.

Cheers everyone.  

FBD - send me a note where you are in Scotland (hopefully near Rich) and I'll share some pictures of the west coast and also show some of the east coast as well (when I am there around the 8-10 of May)

James B
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 06:58:16 PM by James Bennett »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2006, 07:10:29 PM »
Jim:

I sent you an IM -- simply open up and we will hook up while you are in town.

Adios for now ...

matt

Anthony Butler

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2006, 05:22:46 AM »
    Thanks to James I now have the VERY cool screensaver of New South Wales that goes through all 18 holes one by one every 15 seconds. Man, it is going to be a loooooong year waiting for my trip down under.

Ed,

Is James a member at NSW? I don't recall meeting him there... anyway, I just returned from a week in Sydney where I managed to get in three rounds in at NSWGC. Two of them were played in what could reasonably be called a gale and one in a 'fresh' breeze. My advice is to get out on the course early. If the wind is up in the afternoon, some of the holes are close to unplayable. The only other course that is a must play in Sydney is Royal Sydney...
Next!

wsmorrison

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2006, 07:11:38 AM »
I spoke with James last night.  He arrives in the Quaker City tomorrow and the red carpet has been cleaned and ready to be rolled out.  We've got some nice golf (4 courses) in store for James, a cheesesteak tour map with grease stains showing all the best places to eat and some Yeungling, Stoudts, and Victory suds to drink.  Let the festivities begin!

James Bennett

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2006, 10:10:18 AM »
Anthony Butler

I'm not a member of NSWGC, but am a huge fan.  Spent a week playing there in 1980 that I will never forget, including getting thrashed by a young thin lad called Steve Elkington.

I'm from Adelaide, not Sydney.

See you soon in Philly guys

James B

Kyle Harris

« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2006, 10:38:35 AM »
Anthony Butler

I'm not a member of NSWGC, but am a huge fan.  Spent a week playing there in 1980 that I will never forget, including getting thrashed by a young thin lad called Steve Elkington.

James B

I'll give you a good Kyle Harris course setup at Huntingdon Valley tomorrow.  ;D

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2006, 04:17:18 PM »
Put the flagstick in the rough. That will throw him off.

ed_getka

« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2006, 04:27:28 PM »
What's new on the east coast? Any JB sightings? 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2006, 04:29:47 PM »
Got to play nine (and watch most of the other nine) with James at Huntingdon Valley. My poor play didn't dampen my enjoyment of the company (or my putting). I believe Wayne Morrison, JES II, Tom Paul, and Mayday met up at Great American Pub in Conshohocken (I got home and passed out).

James enjoyed Huntingdon Valley and was quite shocked when he would find a level lie.  ;D

We were instructed on the proper use of the term for an Australian (an Oz, in lieu of Aussie).  ;)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 04:30:17 PM by Kyle Harris »

James Bennett

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2006, 07:44:13 AM »
It must be the corolois effect, but the USA seems to be inverted at the moment.  Here I am in Philadelphia enjoying what can be best described as California weather (sunny, and about 70 F) having left a wet, drenched NorCal (my idea of what I would have seen in Philly).

Of course, the corolois effect applies not only to water going down the sink, it also applies to cars at roundabouts as well.  Unbelievable isn't it. :D  I've been fine except when a moment of panic strikes, eg when I have just missed a turn (again) or am navigating through quiet back streets or around car-parks.  I move off to the left, and go clockwise.  No accidents though, so far.  I actually got to drive (legally) on the 'right' side of the road last night.  On my way to Bill's house, and I took a turnoff to early.  It was a service lay-off, and the in road was on the left, and the out road was on the right, so for a fleeting moment, normality returned, and I drove on the left side of the road (for me, that is he 'right' side, ie correct side ::))

I was impressed with Huntingdon Valley, and Rolling Green exceeded my expectations.  Both courses were truly 'firm and fast' at this point, and both have had roots poking through the bottom of the cups.  Rolling Green and Huntingdon Valley's C nine greens are similar in grass (new versions of turf) but the A and B nines at Huntingdon Valley appear a lot older.  It was a joy to repair a pitchmark there (a little more than a skid mark on a well played shot, but only just).  The sensation of the pitchfork going through the turf into a soil that was so even in profile, with no harsh sand and no thatch was truly surprising.

Photos to come (still), but Mike (Mayday) Malone was delighted to see me with camera.  The tree removal (mainly evergreens) has been significant and the improvements quite visible.  Mike's review might get updated, or it could be a great opportunity for some before and after shots.

I probably should have taken a small dictation recorder, or a video camera with audio, and I could have had the 4 hour Rolling Green course tour with Mike to play over again and again.  I didn't even get an opportunity to question the 'MorPaul' bunker on #7 before Mike was tlaking about it :o.  I was fortunate to be given $15 at the end of the game by Craig Rokke, mainly due to the wizardry of my partner Yung.  It was a great day with Mike and Craig, following yesterdays game with Jim, Wayne and Kyle (I know you'll play better next time.

And, if anyone tells you that the bunkers at Huntingdon Valley are too deep and difficult, don't believe them.  The 3rd hole (Redanish, but more Gibralter like) has a deep bunker left that catches a very poor tee shot.  The only problem is you can't see the ball go in the hole  8) from down there.  I would have spent ages looking for my ball, until Jim told me where I finished.  Holing a blind shot is memorable, but not as much fun as seeing them go in (John Kirk, I think this sounds reminiscent of your thread.

Today, Plainfield with Bill.  I've really enjoyed seeing Flynn the last two days, and will now see my 'first' Ross.  I understand I am blessed to be seeing a good one.

Till later

mike_malone

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2006, 08:53:35 AM »
 James,

I imagine you are on the road now but I wanted to tell you how much I appreciated your making RG  a part of your trip. I look forward to your photos. We really have done quite a bit of work at the course.

I gave you the full treatment since I don't expect to see you back again. I also enjoyed meeting Craig for the first time. Yong is tough .
   Charlie , our greenkeeper , came by twice to discuss maintenance practices in OZTRALIA.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 10:01:24 AM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

Anthony Butler

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2006, 09:42:16 AM »

James B

James, you sound like you are around my vintage, as I played in several 'schoolboy' events with Elk in the late 70s. I have not spent a lot of time in Adelaide since the mid 80s when I worked with Young & Rubicam in Australia, but I liked it. Great lifestyle... if you remember to keep your legs out of the water! Hope you are enjoying your trip. From reading this thread it seems like you're packing a lot in... you may need a holiday when you finally make it back to Adelaide. :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2006, 09:43:12 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

mike_malone

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2006, 11:41:34 AM »
 I expect either TEPaul or James to outline the agronomic discussion they had at dinner the other night. Much talk of "scootch" and poa ( annual / perennial?)  and short grass around bunkers. I am a beginner in this stuff so I listened with interest.
AKA Mayday

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2006, 12:16:15 PM »
Best wishes to James for an enjoyable remainder of his trip.

Rolling Green certainly deserves recognition as one of the best in the
area. I thoroughly enjoyed the course, and am hard pressed to come up with any holes that I felt were sub-par. Almost perfect utilization of an outstanding site.

Every club needs a vigilant member(s) like Mayday. I think that some of the adjustments to the course that he has pushed for have turned out quite good. Thanks for the guided tour, Mike!

James Bennett

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2006, 10:49:22 PM »
Mayday

it was a pleasure to play with you.  By the way, it is prounounced 'coo-ch' but spelt couch, OZtrayen for bermuda! ;)  Those photos came out fine.  My camera says no today, so I have 'borrowed' Bill's pictures of Plainfield. He takes more than I do!  Will see what happens later - if my Camera says no again, its time for a new camera.  I didn't think I dropped my camera that hard!

Craig

Thanks for the game.  You would be a monty to get around a trotting track in three hits, as long as you were going anti-clockwise.  Good luck with the three kids.

Anthony Butler - I was born in 1959, and played against Steven Elkington in 1980.  I saw his 'big' brother Robert in 1979 and 1980.

Everybody

well, today was my first Donald Ross course, and I saw Plainfield following further massive winter tree program over recent months in addition to recent year works.  I had to get the smelling salts out a few times for Bill today, he nearly passed out in delirium with the recent improvements.  Plainfield is the epitome of 'Don't judge a book by its cover' - the drive to and some of the surrounds of the course are totally out of character with the course and its perimeter.  I have not seen such wonderful movement in fairways and greens, and tough bunkers.  The first green, after circum-navigating the fairway's rise and falls, leads to a green with a seven foot fall from back to front!  There is only one flat green on the course (#13) and so many fun but tough outstanding holes.  Definitely surpassed my expectations.  Donald Ross was indeed a genius.  Our caddie Ron suggested Donald was a bit tanked when he designed the #10 green.  I laughed out loud at that one.  Bill and I got to speak with a recent Course Chair at Plainfield - very interesting discussion on how they have progressed so far over recent years.

The high - Bill got a birdie 4 at #11, the 130 yard par 5.  I got an eagle three, after airmailing the green long and left, to a front pin.  Following caddie advice , and a 20 foot putt - a miraculous 3.  Caddie Ron said that would be on Golf Central tonight!  It was an unbelievable recovery.

The low - I had heard about Donald Ross's top-shot bunker and noticed the bunker just off the first tee on the left.  I thought 'what fool would ever go in there'.  I quickly discovered what fool.  I could manage a 30 yard splash from there and finished with a six.  Significant advantadge to Mr Ross on that one.  I was just pleased we played off the whites - the same shot off the blues would have been an 'off the clubhouse wall' rick o'shay down the fairway.  That would have been absolute embarassment.

More pleasures to come the next few days.

cheers

James B :o :o 8)

mike_malone

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2006, 08:32:19 AM »
 James,

Are you seeing differences between the West coast and the East coast courses?
AKA Mayday

JESII

« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2006, 08:36:06 AM »
Yeah Mike, he already said if he were moving to the states he'd certainly pick the northeast because of the weather. Isn't that why we live here?

mike_malone

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2006, 08:41:08 AM »
 As James speaks of the agronomic and maintenance differences between Oztralia and the U.S. it got me thinking he may also notice some differences between the west and the east. I have no idea if there are differences but think his keen eye would pick them up.
AKA Mayday

JESII

« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2006, 08:48:25 AM »
Agree 100% Mayday, but I would think the weather he talked of on the West Coast would cloud his observations a bit in that he saw HVCC, Rolling Green, I assume Plainfield and were ever else he's playing over here under very good dry conditions while the West Coast seems to be really wet at the moment. Just a thought.

mike_malone

« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2006, 08:51:53 AM »
 JES II

You are probably right on that but I look forward to his take.

I guess he has begun to drink the Merion Coolaid by now ;D
« Last Edit: April 20, 2006, 08:53:18 AM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

ed_getka

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2006, 10:43:01 AM »
James,
   I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Plainfield. Now you can see why I pushed you so hard to go there. I look forward to my next round there.
   BTW, I think I can make eagle on a 130 yard par 5. ;) ;D
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back