News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

James B's Big Trip - US and UK
« on: April 01, 2006, 05:53:27 PM »
Well, It is 3 hours and counting till the plane takes off - end of communications for a while.

I'll see some of you later today (well, tomorrow if you discount the dateline).

To those who I haven't PM'd of late (eg Jason M, Brian E, perhaps others) - I'll get there.

Looking forward to seeing some great, different courses, some interesting people and sharing a mix of beverages (from beer, wine, scotch and tea, perhaps even a latte), possibly with some of the finest chocolates made in the world (from Haighs, in Adelaide of course).

Cheers everyone, and thanks for the help.  Camera and Australian information is packed.  To the airport, my dear! 8)

PS, I have some light waterproofs - I wear glasses and I hate playing in the rain, especially if the wind is blowing.  All bets are off in such conditions.  I hope California improves.

Matt Cohn - see Kevein reilly's note on his Olympic Eminent Domain April Fools Day (I read it on April 2 - not fair!).  I don't think the time suits you though.

James B
« Last Edit: April 01, 2006, 05:54:13 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

ed_getka

Re:James B's Big Trip - US and UK
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 07:20:01 PM »
The eagle has landed. There will more to report when he staggers home in a month. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 12:20:18 AM »
I believe that it was technically a splash landing ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2006, 12:37:01 AM »
I am looking forward to meeting you on the 17th, James.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2006, 01:11:26 AM »
I believe that it was technically a splash landing ...

Coming down like crazy outside as I type this.  The courses this week will be soupy.  What a mess.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2006, 01:53:14 AM »
The journey has begun!

James, Ed Getka and I met for dinner tonight in San Francisco. Although I'd recommend Calzone's next door as a much better dining experience than where we ate at Figaro - I mean, I ordered a cup of water, and they got it wrong - it was nonetheless a fun couple of hours.

Topics of conversation included Royal Adelaide, Ed's golf library, Mike Clayton's work, golf around Melbourne in general, New South Wales' appeal, the follies of Figaro's wait staff, James' enviable itinerary, and the fact that James and Ed look at least a little bit alike. Lots to talk about!

Ed's library is now a bit bigger, thanks to James, with the addition of a nice book from the 1980's on 25 top Australian courses. A new addition to the Ed Getka collection, temorarily on loan to...lucky me!

I'll stop here because with all of James' travels this thread is destined to be an extensive one before long.

James and Ed, it was great to see you both!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 10:06:03 AM »
Poor James.  There could not possibly be a worse week to visit NorCal for golf, with the exception being any of the prior weeks in March...

It started raining yesterday mid-day and the forecast is for nothing but rain basically through Sunday.

:'(

Paul Thomas also arrives this weekend, as do the Grecos... keep fingers crossed, gents.  I guess the good news for you is all this rain means very few courses will get to aerate their greens, as planned.  But there really does seem to be no end in sight.

TH

Brent Hutto

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 10:10:30 AM »
I got paired up with a couple guys yesterday who were in town for the Masters. One of them lived for 20 years up around Sonoma. He said the one and only downside to living in NorCal (and being a golfer) was the years when February, March and April were just miserably wet. I guess he's glad to be out east this year.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 10:14:39 AM »
I got paired up with a couple guys yesterday who were in town for the Masters. One of them lived for 20 years up around Sonoma. He said the one and only downside to living in NorCal (and being a golfer) was the years when February, March and April were just miserably wet. I guess he's glad to be out east this year.

Yep - he's talking about "El Nino" years - those happen once every 10 years or so, maybe less, and are just awful.  The odd thing is this is NOT such a year... Nov-Dec-Jan-Feb were fine, lots of it even downright warm... just in March and continuing now are we getting soaked.

That being said, even horribly overbooked me has managed to get in 3 full rounds and several 9-holers, never getting a drop on me...

So it's not THAT bad.  I just do feel for the visitors coming, expecting sun.  Keep your fingers crossed - things do change rapidly.

BTW, any locals who see this, note James had IM'd me several times wanting to meet up... Dan King also... but he never sent me his sked.  Anyone who has that, let me know, and we shall see what we shall see.  Likely can't do it, but one never knows.

TH

« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 10:15:00 AM by Tom Huckaby »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 11:19:54 AM »
Minchia, I can't belief youse guys.  You was right acrost da street from my friend Franchino's ristorante on Columbus ave.  Dat's where youse goes for a good plata pasta.  Tell him d' talian cop from Wizconzin sentcha.  cheez do I hafta com out der myzelf an showsya!
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ed_getka

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2006, 12:04:16 PM »
This is James Bennett (at Ed Getka's house) - and it is still raining at Pleasanton.

Yesterday was Meadow Club.  I could have gone skiing on the greens when we arrived.  The good news was the greens weren't aerated, but they look like they really want some air.  The fairways, well.  Ed and I met with Tully (Mr Tully ;D) and spent a great afternoon.  150 minutes of chat in the clubhouse, and the sun came out, and the surface water on the greens was gone.  The fairway condition improved dramatically, form impossible to wet.  Anybody want a soil sample of Meadow Club soil - see us.  We have lots on our trousers and socks.

The afternoon was much better to play (not raining) but hit and stick and lift and clean and place and watch where you walk etc etc was the day.  Tully looked like he was trying to have fun with his hickories, and I could blame jetlag for mine.  Olympic today, and perhaps a visit out to Wente (Greg Norman) before.

PS  Dan King has IM'd me - we'll see what happens later this week.  I'm in Monterey from late tues night.

PPS - Meadow has had about 65 inches of rain - it reminded me of the worst winters I used to endure at my home club years ago.  Not so good memories.  The talk has been good though, and the views.  Its just hard to imagine how things would play when it is dry - and the transition in two days from warm, firm and fast (back home) to wet, wet,wet and mild is challenging for the golf game to say the least.

James B
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 12:33:18 PM »
James (via Ed), it is raining very hard in SF right now -- let's play it by ear.  If we decide the conditions are too poor to play (to add salt to the wounds the course was aerated two weeks ago), we can walk it and make the best of things.  This is the wettest spell I've gone through here in many many years.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 12:36:58 PM »
James (via Ed) - still would love to try and get together also - I live pretty darn near to Dan King in San Jose - do keep in touch and advise where you will be.  The sad reality is that some advance planning is needed....

TH

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 01:01:21 PM »
James,

It is 9.49am as I write and the rain is coming down, hard.

Make sure your rain suit has no leaks in it.

Bob

ForkaB

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 01:06:18 PM »
James

Don't despair.  Over here in old blighty the sun is shining and the daffodils and gorse are finally starting to bloom, so there is some decent golf in your near term future!  You are very lucky, however, to be experiencing the Northern California deluge in such fine company.  If it gets time to start thinking about building an ark, however, stick close to Getka--he's the only practical one in the lot out there!

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2006, 12:43:01 AM »
Summary of James B's day in SF

- we had the course literally to ourselves

- light drizzle on one hole (#2), otherwise gorgeous weather...no rain gear (or even sweaters) needed...blue skies even for much of the back nine

- course was in remarkable shape considering the amount of rain - all credit to super Pat Finlen

- great fun...James is on his way south to the Peninsula

Sean_Tully

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 01:11:42 AM »
Kevin

Blue sky!!! I was looking at the radar for most of the day and it looked like SF was getting hammered. Nice to here that you got some good weather. We are now up to 12 out of 13 days in the rain and my guys are getting sick of putting on the rain gear. We picked up another inch of rain today. Sounds like I need to finally get over and play Olympic if it is everything you say. As James, probably mentioned we are rather heavy at the moment with 66 inches(for those out east that has been since the end of October) and more on the way. We average just over 52 inches for the year so we are doing pretty good.

Ed-
Thanks for dinner and I should be seeing you in again in June.

James-
It was nice to meet you and hope the weather holds up for you. Have a great trip and post some pics when you get home!!

Tully  

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2006, 10:55:56 PM »
Tully,
   My pleasure. Looking forward to seeing you again in June. Bring the laptop! There is so much cool stuff in there.

I am beginning to be suspicious of James B, the guy arrives to a month of rain with no letup in sight. Starts each day with rain coming down, but ends up playing golf with the sun shining. As soon as I see him walk across a water hazard my hunch will be confirmed. Hmmmm.... ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 08:54:42 AM »
Ed-Thanks for dinner and I should be seeing you in again in June.

Sean, does this mean you are planning to play in the Kings Putter in Palm Springs?  Hope so, as I need to chat with you about November when we'll be in SF.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 11:42:06 AM »

I don't think so - We had about 30 minutes of snow yesterday out here in the Western burbs of Philly.

James Bennett

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2006, 12:39:41 AM »
Latest update from the house of the Ron the book collector.  I now have a copy of the reprint of Golf Architecture in America by George Thomas.

Tuesday - Olympic was closed in the morning, and a few played afternoon, including Kevin and I.  The course was playing long, but we (foolishly) played the blues.  Greens were fine (the coring enabled them to drain well) and the conditioning of the surrounds was excellent.

Then, I drove down to Pacific Grove, in the rain.  I was worried about CPC the next day - what happens if the course is closed?  Can I play another time, or is that it?  Well, the course was open, although i think I saw the Irish water skiing team practising on the 2nd hole! ;D  I was in heaven, and walking on water.  Then the sun came out..  What a day.

Today, I played at Monetery Peninsula - seth Raynor course.  I discovered how to play 'Wolf'.  Well, I understood how by the end of the game, when I finally drew level (I was a long way down, having made some bad choices earlier).  It was short sleeves and full sunshine all day.

Tomorrow, I may visit Pasa, and try to catch some of those at GCA just north of Monterey.  Saturday, more golf on the Peninsula.  I'll try and ring some of you.

Looks like I have the midas touch with the weather, so heres hoping it continues when I get to NT/Philly at Easter

Cheers everybody - its been a blast so far.

James B

PS 0 I hear the Crows beat Collingwood by 6 goals on Monday - a good start to the other season. :)
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

ed_getka

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 10:58:27 AM »
James,
   Wonderful to get together in the sunshine yesterday. Lucky for you Bob had your back after the turn. Of course, knocking it to 30 feet on a par 3 is not the time to be a piggy. ;)

We played the Dunes yesterday Raynor with a relatively recent redo by Rees Jones that was well done (?last 10 years). The Shore was stacked up and we had the Dunes to ourselves on a gourgeous day. It doesn't get much better. 8)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 11:10:31 AM »
Ed - was that the first time you had played the post-renovation Dunes?

It's a GREAT course - and you guys must have had a hell of a day down there.  Sadly the weather is supposed to turn again... keep fingers crossed for the next visitor Paul Thomas, who arrives tomorrow, with an itin very similar to James's.

BTW, it's been documented on here many times before - one plays Wolf with Mr. Huntley at one's own risk - the best advice is to just open one's wallet on the first tee and let him extract what he feels is correct.  It's simpler that way.

;)

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 11:36:57 AM »
BTW, it's been documented on here many times before - one plays Wolf with Mr. Huntley at one's own risk - the best advice is to just open one's wallet on the first tee and let him extract what he feels is correct.  It's simpler that way.

;)

Tom,

It was a Greek tragedy....I lost three dollars.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 11:44:08 AM »
As Yogi would say "this is Deja Vu all over again ..."

And we record events, call them history, in the hopes that we don't repeat the mistakes ...

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back