News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

you've got one round left: Black Mesa or Tobacco Road?
« on: March 15, 2006, 03:39:58 PM »
...oooooooooooooooooooooooh tough choice...

lessee...stunning natural setting,advantage BM

design...that's like comparing a chateaubriand with a double porterhouse...SLIGHT edge to Tobacco

atmosphere...dead even...both states are tied with oregon for nicest people in the world...

I'd say all thinigs being equal...and they pretty much are...just because its my "last round"  I'd rather remember the sharp knife edged mtns than the sandhills, I'd give the slightest edge to BM...

cary lichtenstein

Re:you've got one round left: Black Mesa or Tobacco Road?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 04:35:12 PM »
Tobacco Road
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jay Flemma

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »
how come, cary?

Brian Joines

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 05:08:06 PM »
Black Mesa, mainly because it's the course I haven't yet played

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 05:22:30 PM »
I was at Tobacco Road this past year and really liked it, however unobjectively speaking...

Black Mesa.
Better walking course / routing
Best set of par 5s in either state.
Better wind
Better greens
Better setting
Better conditioning
Better food in Santa Fe

Jay - where is your review of BM on your blog?

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Brian_Marion

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 05:59:42 PM »
Tobacco Road,

because it's only two hours away and I could play it right up to the bitter end...................................................

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 07:13:51 PM »
I'm working on the BM review...I would have had it up, but left my notes on it back at the house, so I'm finishing Pine Needles instead today.

I also have Lederach and Balt CC this weekend, so bear with me...I wanna do it up right.

As much as I love TR...and I really love it...as in spill some of my ashes in the hills off the first tee after I die love...BM just edges it out of the reasons you said...although TR is strong in routing too.

But aso...do you notice any similarities between the two?

Steve Lang

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 07:29:11 PM »
 8)

Similarities other than the Visual virtual V notches on both #1's...

Having played TR 6x and thoroughly loving it, and BM only 2x during the Land of Enchantment outing, I'd much prefer BM, primarily for the ground game bounces and uncertainty experienced there and the more memorable green complexes

Without question, more to explore at BM, better finishing hole, likely more unfinished business to try to close things out in dramatic style, befoer reality struck..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 07:57:22 PM »
8)

Similarities other than the Visual virtual V notches on both #1's...

/quote]

Actually I thought no 1 llooked more like Royal new kent, then the road, but I like the way your thinking!!!

Yeah, that finish is tough...keep a powerbar in the bag for the back nine that's for sure.

Jordan Wall

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 11:41:46 PM »
Never played either but Black Mesa.

I want to hit the longest drive of my life at my last round.

At hot weather and high elevation, BM is the place to do so.

Plus I have cousins that live twenty minutes away...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 12:05:47 AM »
Jay - I love Tobacco Road... woke up at night thinking about the course weeks after I played it (how sick is that?)

But, I'd have to give the nod to Black Mesa. There's just more to love at Black Mesa... it's bigger, bolder, more dramatic. And, like Mike Nuzzo says, "better food in Santa Fe."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 12:06:08 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 04:55:25 PM »
The edge to Black Mesa is no less a margin than the whooping that Wichita State put on Seton Hall today.

Give Strantz plenty of credit for TR but the totality of what you find at Black Mesa is a good ways beyond the gem in North Carolina IMHO.

Black Mesa is among my top 20 modern courses I have ever played in the United States. It is thaaaat good and worthy of being in such a supreme destination that is Santa Fe.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 05:06:52 PM »
I'm looking forward to playing Tobacco Road twice on this trip. I know I will enjoy what I'm about to see - but I can't for the life of me see why anyone would choose a course that tough as a final round.

George Pazin

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 05:46:09 PM »
I'm looking forward to playing Tobacco Road twice on this trip. I know I will enjoy what I'm about to see - but I can't for the life of me see why anyone would choose a course that tough as a final round.

I wouldn't choose either for precisely that reason. I'd want my last round to be played sans reloads. :)

In many respects, I don't think the courses are all that different. Both present the golfer with very unique experiences, unique holes, the opportunity for some very entertaining shots. I certainly don't think the margin is that great in favor of Black Mesa, though I probably would give it the edge by a hair, in terms of pure design. The slightly more forgiving nature of TR might swing the pendulum back in favor of TR for fun, however.

I look forward to what Ian has to say about TR.

Maybe someone could start a little less mordib thread along the lines of where they'd prefer their next round to be, rather than their last. :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back