News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PThomas

you've got 1 round left: Pacific Dunes or Pebble?
« on: March 15, 2006, 11:12:42 AM »
I was inspired ::) ;) to ask this question from a related discussion on another thread...

without thinking about it too much, I pick PD

besides the great holes there, I also like the scruffier look of the course...Pebble is so manicured, it really takes away any sort of links atmosphere
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tom Huckaby

Re:you've got 1 round left: Pacific Dunes or Pebble?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 11:15:29 AM »
Oh please Paul, this isn't even really all that close.  I love Pacific Dunes and it is a fantastic golf course.  It deserves all praise and high rankings it has received.

It's just not Pebble Beach.

Put me down for Pebble with absolutely no hesitation.

TH

ps - caveat - this assumes I get each course to myself and don't have to deal with real-world realities like crowds.  If that is a factor, then Pacific it is, late in the day, finish as the sun sets, no other golfers on the course other than those I allow.  For my last round, I don't want any hassles. ;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 11:18:06 AM »
How much money do we have left in the bank?

DTaylor18

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 11:18:51 AM »
That depends, are you a bunny?!  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 11:19:54 AM »
How much money do we have left in the bank?

Let's hope it's enough to pay for either round... But let's also hope for all of our sakes this round occurs in a far-distant future, so we all have lots of time left before this decision has to be made.  Interestingly though, if that does occur, odds are the courses cost about the same at that point!  That sure as hell is the trend.

;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 11:20:27 AM by Tom Huckaby »

PThomas

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 11:20:42 AM »
interesting Huck...I want to think about this some more...but Pebble does have some "lame" - for lack of a better word right now,holes,  like 1 , and 2 and....I wonder if 17 would be considered somewhat lame if not for the history that's been made there

Tim Pitner

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 11:20:56 AM »
Pacific Dunes in a heartbeat.

More great holes, more natural, no cart paths, no homes, less pretense.  

Tom, I view this as not close, going the other way.

PThomas

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 11:22:11 AM »
money is not an object Tom D

as Huck said there are no hassles to deal with here...you are assumed to be able to walk, have unlimited funds, etc., etc.....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 11:25:16 AM »
Tim:

To each his own - that's the beauty of discussing opinions.

BUT... I grant each of your issues except more great holes.  I see more at Pebble.  I also see way more chance for late-life glory there, and for a last round ever, well... that matters.  I want to hole out my last shot for eagle on 18 Pebble, one of the most famous holes on this planet.  As great as PD is, it doesn't have close to that kinda panache.

Now change this to where do I want to spend the last 3 weeks of my life, playing every day, and I'd say Pacific - for many of the issues you raised.

But that's not the question.

Paul - I don't consider any hole "lame" at Pebble - some just get dwarfed by the magificence of the others.  In any case, it's not like any are so bad they are blown away by those at Pacific... which has a few in the same category....

TH

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 11:33:38 AM »
If I was the only person on either course then its Pebble. If it is the way life is on those courses now, then its Pacific Dunes. The golf experience at Pebble is way down because of how the place is managed.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 11:37:36 AM »
Tom, your point about playing 18 at Pebble, one of the most famous holes on the planet, made me wonder how much history and fame have to do with people's preferences.  For me, it's just not that big of a factor.  If I prefer the course, I'd rather play a hidden gem than a course that has hosted major championships.  Walking in the footsteps of legends doesn't get me going that much.

Now, Pacific Dunes is not hidden and I'm not saying that your opinion is solely based on the history and fame of Pebble, but I wonder if people would prefer Pebble over Pacific if you took away the history there.  A purely academic question, I grant, but my guess is that few people would.  

Mike Benham

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 11:38:35 AM »
Pacific Dunes ...

I have played Pebble numerous times and so I will to try something that I haven't played before ...

But, if I have only 1 round left, it is much more important to pick who is in my foursome.  It wouldn't matter where we play ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Sean Leary

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2006, 11:42:24 AM »
Tom, your point about playing 18 at Pebble, one of the most famous holes on the planet, made me wonder how much history and fame have to do with people's preferences.  For me, it's just not that big of a factor.  If I prefer the course, I'd rather play a hidden gem than a course that has hosted major championships.  Walking in the footsteps of legends doesn't get me going that much.

Now, Pacific Dunes is not hidden and I'm not saying that your opinion is solely based on the history and fame of Pebble, but I wonder if people would prefer Pebble over Pacific if you took away the history there.  A purely academic question, I grant, but my guess is that few people would.  

You can't take away the history.  PD may actually be a better golf course in total, but there is something almost spiritual about playing Pebble Beach. Pebble, no question.

A more difficult question for those who have played both may be Pebble or Cypress, one last round...

Mark Arata

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2006, 11:50:31 AM »
Well, I could say Pebble, because if it was my last round, I sure wouldnt want it to end, and at 5+ hours at Pebble, it sure would seem like it wasnt going to end.... ;D

For the record, I would choose Pacific, I just think playing 18, eating the Roast Beef Sandwich with the cranberry dressing, and kicking off would be the perfect way to end it all......in about 50 years or so.
New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Jin Kim

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2006, 11:57:44 AM »
I've played both.  Without a doubt Pac Dunes.

tlavin

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2006, 12:03:08 PM »
Pacific Dunes for the golf/scenery; Pebble Beach for the drinks afterward.

Brad Klein

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2006, 12:22:53 PM »
If it's ominous enough that I only have one round left, I'm not wasting my time playing golf, that's for sure.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2006, 12:27:24 PM »
Morning round at Pebble.  Lunch with Bob at MPCC.  PM round at Cypress Point.  Drinks at Spanish Bay while the piper pipes.  Dinner in the Tap Room.

Rinse, wash, repeat.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 12:27:52 PM by Bill_McBride »

Dan Kelly

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2006, 12:45:52 PM »
If it's ominous enough that I only have one round left, I'm not wasting my time playing golf, that's for sure.

Really? What would you be doing?

I'll take Pacific Dunes. I've already played Pebble.

I'll ask my family to walk along with me. Can't imagine a better way to go!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Jordan Wall

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 12:51:13 PM »
Gotta be Pebble.

Unfortunatley I havent played either, but sometime I will...

...Its just Pebble has all the tradition and when you walk up the 18th you have the beautiful ocean and everything just seems fitting for a happy ending to golf.

Also, it would be with my dad.  I love playing with my dad more then anyone else in the world, and to enjoy Pebble as our last round together would be a dream!

Tim Pitner

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 01:04:29 PM »
Walking up 18 at Pebble, you have the beautiful ocean . . . and the concrete seawall and the cartpath on the right and buildings all around . . .

Yeah, the ocean's nice but can someone remind me why 18 is a great hole.  Sorry, I'm in that camp that thinks Pebble is overrated.  

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 01:09:29 PM »
I'll take Pac Dunes, just in case the doctors are wrong.  That way, I can play the other 2 courses right away. ;D
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 01:29:35 PM »
Bill:

Can I be the 3rd in that group?

Cary
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

ed_getka

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 02:25:28 PM »
Brad,
   I'm curious what you would rather do to, other than be with family?

I'd choose Pacific of those two. If I do know I'm going to die I'm chartering a plane and going to Dornoch. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 02:43:31 PM »
Bill,
I beg to be the 4th..I'll even buy all the meals and booze!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back