News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott_Burroughs

Re: Your State's Hidden Gems
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2002, 12:07:43 PM »
Mayday Mike,

What about Deerfield f.k.a. Dupont (Louviers) as a hidden
gem in DE?  It's my top hidden gem!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:11 PM by -1 »

mike_malone

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2002, 12:30:39 PM »
Scott
  Just wanted to see if you were awake.I played there many nights in 1972(i think).After every round,or so it seemed we watched Steve Carlton strike out 25 !!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
AKA Mayday

John Foley

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2002, 12:38:29 PM »
Here are a few more from Western NY

Bristol Harbour - RTJ
Greystone - Schriener
Sodus Bay Heights- ??
Wayne Hills - ??

4 great tracks in Western NY that should not be missed.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Matt_Ward

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2002, 01:33:20 PM »
john foley:

What about adding Cobblestone Creek -- dynamite design by Hurdzan & Fry just outside of Rochester!

In New York I would also add Olde Kinderhook -- just outside of Albany -- first rate course that can easily make a strong case for inclusion among the top ten in the Empire State.

Also -- what about The Sagamore and just down the road you can also Saratoga National -- well done layout by Roger Rulewich amongst the wetlands.

John_Lovito

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2002, 02:10:46 PM »
Matt,

What are your thoughts on Echo Lake in Westfield?  My house is walking distance to the course but I have not had a chance to play it yet.

John

newtoneagle

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2002, 02:18:24 PM »
Massachusetts, off the beaten track. A must play if you find yourself on Cape Cod and appreciate the old game is the 110-year old Highland Links, which Alistair Cooke called "the most perfect example of typical British or Scottish links.". A preserved throwback to an earlier day, 9 treeless holes on top of the towering dunes of the CC national seashore. Manual sprinkling, cheap to play, natural conditions....usually hard, fast, and windy. Forget about lobbing the ball onto the greens, doesn't work.

In RI a lot too, so for RI, I'll second Agawam Hunt as someone already suggested.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2002, 02:45:35 PM »
John:

Echo Lake is fine Donald Ross course but more towards Ross "lite." Unlike Plainfield which has more teeth and firepower, Echo Lake features less of the intensity.

The contours on the greens are testing on a few of the holes, but clearly not in the same league as you find at Plainfield, Somerset Hills, Essex County, etc, etc.

I like the opening hole because it forces you to hit it in play. Pull it slightly left and it's reload time. The uphill short 2nd is a throwback to olden days. The hole plays as a shost par-4 and the big hitters can reach the target but it requires nearly all carry. Would be most interesting if a tee was placed a bit further up to make this a long par-3.

The par-5 4th is also well done because if you decide to bust a tee shot to get into position for a second shot approach to the green you must be in just the right position.

The strength of Echo Lake is the back nine as the holes are somewhat more testing. The dog-leg left medium length par-4 16th is also special because it shows that proper placement, not just brute length, pays huge dividends.

I also like the closing hole because the green is soooo deep you can easily three-jack it if you fall asleep.

Echo Lake deserves a nod of appreciation in serving as host to both the USGA Boys' and Girls' Junior Championships which was played this past summer.

John_Lovito

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2002, 02:50:03 PM »
Matt,

Thanks for the reply!  Sounds interesting, will definately try to see it myself in the spring.

John

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2002, 03:38:44 PM »
Erich,

Shepard Hills, Roxbury, NY- Quirky 9 holer. First hole is 327 yds., all sharply uphill with 4 plateaus to hit on.  Funded by Jay Gould's daughter. Architect unknown

Norfolk CC, Norfolk, Ct- Only one flat green on the course but all 9 dime-size greens are fast and in impeccable shape, usually firm. The 9th/18th is 270 uphill from an elevated tee. The whole surface of the green can be seen from the tee. The clubhouse is an Alfredo Taylor design, course designer unknown. The Pro, Joe Bunk, is also a certified super.

Pontoosuc Lake CC, Pittsfield, Ma.- The 9th hole alone, a par 4, is worth a visit. The green sits on a "volcano" some 50' or so above the fairway and is protected by outcroppings of rock, etc.. Also has some very good par 3s.

Richmond Pines CC, Rockingham, NC- The back nine is a 1928 Donald Ross design. The fees here are very low for the area. The 12th hole is a hogback fairway par 5 of only 471 yds. There are some exceptionally good and fun holes to play here. Worth a trip if you are in the Pinehurst area. Very laid back atmosphere. The 9 holes by Ross(9 more by Tom Jackson, also good) at Monroe CC, Monroe. NC are worth a look also.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Craig Rokke

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2002, 03:47:08 PM »
Mayday's recommendation of Frog Hollow is a good one, and
I preferred it over it's sister course, Back Creek, which is OK.

Haven't been at 3 Little Bakers CC (great name, huh? I believe it had something to do with the dinner theatre on site) for quite a few years, but I remember that they
have a number of strong golf holes as well.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2002, 10:13:57 PM »
Jim K.

Did you mean that Monroe CC is 9Ross/9Jackson?  Also who did the other 9 at Richmond Pines?

What are private/pubic status and more importantly if they are priveate, what are the guest play policies at either of these places?  I will have to add these to my list of places to get to.  Do you happen to know anything about who is the pro at either place or the phone numbers.  
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2002, 10:24:44 PM »
In the greater Northern GA/Extended Atlanta area is a real "hidden gem".  Scales Creek in Homer, GA.  About 2-3 years ago Mark McCumbers orginization did this wonderful course on a very modest buget, and the golf is affordable about $40 I think.  

This place has a decidedly "redneckish" feel to it as most from Atlanta would surmise given the Homer, GA address.  But the golf course is solid, the people are friendly, the rates are low, and as a "hidden gem" the pace is leisurly and uncrowded.  What more can you ask for.  

The first time I came to Scales Creek I really wasnt expecting that much, and when I rode into the parking lot in my friends 740i BMW only to find that (I am not kidding) at least 75% of the vehicles were pickup trucks!  Something you dont see often at a golf course.  As the course was very new at that time, the parking lot was gravel.  I was actually feeling a little nervous for my friend parking his car in that lot, it stuckout like a sore thumb.   But the people were great, and I was blown away by the course since I was not anticipating much.

Well I returned a few months ago, and I am happy to say the parking lot is now paved.  But, the people havent changed and the golf course is still a fun, uncrowded, and affordable treat.  Make the trip from Atlanta for a change of pace.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2002, 10:53:25 PM »
Turboe,
Rodney Russell was the Pro at Richmond Pines as of two years ago, the last time I was there. The course is semi-private and easily accessible. The front nine was built in 1962 by Gene Hamm and is also good.

Monroe is 9 holes by Ross and 9 holes by Jackson. Mark Polk was the Pro two years ago.  

I don't have the phone #s.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back