News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

A tale of 2 Scorecards: Meadow Club
« on: March 01, 2006, 12:00:27 PM »
You can tell a lot about the philosophy of a golf course just by looking at its scorecard. Here are two scorecards from Meadow Club that shows its transformation in philosophy.

Meadow Club scorecard, circa approx 1990

Focus on artificial water feature on #14, fountain, etc. The least MacKenzie-like features on the course. Also notice the blah looking bunker behind the green.

Current Meadow Club scorecard

Now the club is celebrating MacKenzie right on the front of the scorecard. Now the wonderful short par 4 #16 is shown with the caption "No. 16 restored to MacKenzie's original green and bunker design in 2002"

Very interesting to see how things have evolved over the last 15 years as this is by no means isolated to Meadow Club.

TEPaul

Re:A tale of 2 Scorecards: Meadow Club
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:09:42 PM »
20 years ago restoration was virtually unknown. The word "restoration" as it applies to golf course architecture today was probably basically unknown 20 years ago.

Now the entire subject is just raging on and on. We are smack dab in the middle of a real "old" course "renaissance" movement.

It will not be long now before Tom Doak, in a single lawsuit, sues well over 1,000 "restored" American clubs that are part of this renaissance phenomenon, for using his company's name illegally.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 12:47:07 PM »
Tom P:  You're the only one who calls it a renaissance movement, so I'll just sue you instead.   ;)

JohnV

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 02:58:56 PM »
Tom D, good idea, Tom P probably has more money than all those 1000 clubs combined after they paid for their restorations. ;)

redanman

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 08:33:35 PM »
Too bad that photo of #16 has that big friggin willow tree in it!  ;)

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 09:44:12 PM »
Bill,
   Have no fear, Tully is on the job with his chainsaw and nightvision goggles. ;) The future is bright at MC.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 09:45:51 PM »
If you are talking about the actual photos themselves, then I'd say that the positive change is evident.  But, what about the scorecard itself?

Never mind, I'll just start a topic about it ;D.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Evan_Green

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 10:01:10 PM »
If you are talking about the actual photos themselves, then I'd say that the positive change is evident.  But, what about the scorecard itself?

Never mind, I'll just start a topic about it ;D.

Tim

My point is that before the photo from 1990 on the front of the card highlighted the least MacKenzie like feature of the course and instead focused on pretty fountains and whanot which was typical of the time.

In contrast, the current card puts MacKenzie front and center showing a change in philosphy on the part of the club.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 10:02:21 PM by Evan_Green »

Sean_Tully

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 11:27:32 PM »
I have a collection of Meadow Club scorecards from 1947-current. I am trying to track down a earlier card to get the yardages for the holes and to see the style. I have been working with Jim O'neal trying to get back to a more understated card. I am also going to put together a scorecard of the original yardages so I can play with my hickories from as close as possible to the original course.

The card that shows the 16th was used as a sort of advertisement for how the course was changing during the restoration process from 1999-2005. We have actually gone in and removed a number of redwoods that were just short left of the green since then.

The willow that Bill speaks of is actually one of about six, we have removed 2 since I have been at Meadow. They must have gotten a good deal on them back in the day... #13 was lined with them for a number of years! Unfortunately, there is also a creek under those willows so you have double hazard working against you.  The trees are getting up in age so we might have to deal with the issue sooner than latter.

The 16th is a fun hole with a 3 tiered green that accepts shots from the right side of the fwy, which brings the creek into play! The fwy is big and invites the golfer to go for broke, but can lead to some high scores if you go left.

Sean

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 11:52:58 PM by Sean Tully »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back