News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

Nematodes.....
« on: February 17, 2006, 09:16:27 PM »
I played Cypress today in a bit of rain, a lot of cold and intermitent sunshine. Holes 7 and 12 had temporary greens. Like several holes at MPCC, a nematode infestation is causing havoc on a number of poa greens on the Peninsula.

One of the Cypress members was telling me that critters can come out and do immense damage but the real problem is that the 'embryo' can remain sealed in a grass root or in the soil for something like seventy years. Perhaps one of our agronomy boffins can come to my rescue and make sense of this.

By the way I still hate the trees on No.18. Hit a splendid three wood, needed to fade a seven iron to the green, did so but caught the overhanging foliage of that effing tree on the left and bogied the hole. MacKenzie, why on earth didn't you follow your advice about intrusive trees? Cut the bl***y things down.

Bill Gayne

Re:Nematodes.....
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 09:22:51 PM »
Bob,

I'm far from an expert on bugs but this sounds similar to the cicadas that occur in the mid Atlantic region. They hatch once every 17 years, do damage, have sex once, lay eggs to be hatched in 17 years, and die.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 10:06:16 PM »
Bob -

Ron Kroichick wrote an article on the nematode problem on the Monterey Peninsula in the SF Chronicle on 2/8/06. If you go to www.sfgate.com and do a search for nematode, you should be able to pull the article up.

The Presidio GC in SF currently has 5 greens closed due to a nematode infestation.

It is a problem that hits almost all NorCal courses that operate in a cool, damp climate. Short of a VERY toxic chemical treatment, a solution has not yet been found to deal with it in poa greens.

DT  

Peter Galea

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 10:59:11 PM »
A nematode is an unsegmented, microcsopic worm. Many have stylets which pierce plant parts in order to feed. Some are “ectoparasites” living outside of the plant. Others are “endoparasites” living inside the plant.

“Anguina pacificae” is an endoparasitic gall nema affecting "poa annua" found from San Francisco to Monterey, usually within 10 miles of the coast. Recently it has been identified locally outside the area. The nema lives in a “bulb” at the crown of the plant. Anguina spends it’s entire life inside the plant and only leave for hours at a time to find a new host. (This fact alone makes it very difficult to eradicate)

The gall as well as their feeding disrupt plant processes. Infected plants yellow, decline, die and leave bare spots in greens called “pitting”. The damage is most severe during colder months when recovery, new growth or germination is at a minimum.

Because of the disruption caused by the gall, plants do not respond well to soil applied fertilizer and instead must be foliar fed.

The chemical control is Nemacur. This nematicide is is one of the most toxic chemicals used in golf course management (toxicity doesn't mean it can't be used safely). It is relatively effective for a period of time. Users report eventual reduced effectiveness and shortened intervals of application. This is a temporary tool, as it will be taken off the market in a few years. Besides toxicity, another downside of using Nemacur is that if kills beneficial organisms in the soil.

Bentgrass is not affected by anguina.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 07:25:40 AM by Pete Galea »
"chief sherpa"

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 11:09:19 PM »
Pete,

Thank you for your contribution. Geoff Childs did a bunch of research into this some time ago. I would like to have you both in my foursome next time we meet.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 11:17:19 PM »
Bob, do you think those trees were in the 18th fairway when the course opened in 1929?  Or did some errant seeds become pioneers and take root out there?  It would be difficult to imagine Dr. MacKenzie designing a hole that included a bunch of trees in the fairway!

Sounds like a great tee shot.  I'm 0-2 on that one.  :P

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 11:50:20 PM »
Bill,

Best round there in a couple of years. Came close to shooting my age except for that effing tree.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 12:48:14 PM »
Bob, what about the trees (f'ing or otherwise) in the fairway in 1929?  Not that you were there but maybe there are photos of opening day............

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 02:00:00 PM »
Bill,

I am going to look that up.

Bob

Eric Franzen

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 02:13:46 PM »
Took a quick look on the pictures in Shackelford's book on CPC.
It doesn't look like the fairway is surrounded by the same amount of trees as it is today.

The effing tree that messed up Mr Huntleys shot on the 18th is clearly displayed on the photos though.

John_McMillan

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 05:54:33 PM »
I'm not familiar with the damage nematodes can do to a golf green, but I do know that they can be very destructive to a pineapple under the sea.

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 08:13:08 PM »
Is that a chainsaw?  A Rhodesian nematode can create havoc with Cypress trees, as well.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 09:03:47 PM »
Pete:

You didn't mention the life cycle.  My understanding (from hearing things second-hand at SFGC) is that nematodes are a cyclical problem but that they come out 1-3 times per year, it's certainly nothing like cicadas.

John Kirk

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 09:34:55 PM »
Thanks for the picture, Carlyle.

I can't believe how big the flagsticks are.  How much does one of those things weigh?  I imagine you have to set them down on the green rather gently to avoid damaging, or even recontouring the greens.

paul cowley

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 10:00:55 PM »
I'm kind of with you John....the flag in the forefront looks much more massive than the one behind it....I think it must be just a photo-optic thing that's hard to explain unless you are an expert in the field....but I'm with you as it sure it looks more than it weighs...whoa!
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 10:20:23 PM »
I've never been to Cypress, but could that be an American Flag pole at the clubhouse or at someone's home?

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Pat Howard

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 10:40:39 PM »
Umm...that's an american flag pole near the parking lot, and yes, you would have to set it down VERY carefully not to damage a green! ;)

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 10:41:51 PM »
That is a flagpole.

I'm assuming the trees were airbrushed out, correct?

Peter Galea

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2006, 11:10:46 PM »
Pete:

You didn't mention the life cycle.  My understanding (from hearing things second-hand at SFGC) is that nematodes are a cyclical problem but that they come out 1-3 times per year, it's certainly nothing like cicadas.

You're right Tom, they are cyclical.  The timing of outbreaks seem to vary from site to site.  I know several clubs in the area had damage starting in late October through November, while at my course they didn't really hit until the middle of December.  Winter is the worst time to suffer damage, when temperatures are cool, recovery is nonexistant. I can't be really specific about other outbreaks because in the spring and summer I haven't suffered turf loss then.

Throughout the growing season we notice mottling, but I think that it hasn't gotten to "pitting" because the grass is growing vigorously.  I'm not sure how long lived the anguina nema is, or for how long the eggs can remain dormant in the soil.

I have resisted Nemacur, and rely on nutrition and cultural practices to strengthen the plant to help it resist damage and aid recovery.  It's evident that I don't have the answer as several times turf loss has been significant. (bangs head on desk)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 11:20:29 PM by Pete Galea »
"chief sherpa"

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 12:13:59 AM »
Something I heard, you all can correct me if I'm wrong...

Grass grows based on light, while nematodes are active based on heat. So when it's sunny and cold, the grass has a chance to recover. But when it's warm and cloudy, the grass really struggles. I guess one question though is, since nematodes are underground, how much does soil temperature really vary - especially in a climate like SF and the California coast?

John Kirk

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 12:20:33 AM »
Looks like I will have to add an emoticon next time, like a  ;) or a  ;D, though I prefer straight faced seriousness when making those kinds of observations.

I knew it was a flagpole.  I'm just keeding!

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 11:00:07 AM »
Yes that would be an American flag.  You'll notice the pin is on the right.  The original American flag was obscurred by the trees that are now cut down.

C

P.S. I actually scaled down the arms and chainsaw from a movie cover of the "Texas Chainsaw Murder" to lend authenticity. :)

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 12:08:37 PM »
Carlyle,

Nice.........................  ;)
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Doug Wright

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 02:09:15 PM »
Bob,

Everything you ever wanted to know about nematodes,
courtesy of the University of Nebraska Nematology Lab (of course  :) ) ...

http://nematode.unl.edu/

" If all the matter in the universe except the nematodes
were swept away, our world would still be dimly recognizable..."
-N.A. Cobb, 1914

Best,
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 02:10:41 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 02:15:00 PM »
I just realized when looking through my photos that those trees *were* gone when I was there; for some reason I thought there'd been trees behind the green.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back