News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Doug Siebert

Target lines: which is best?
« on: November 27, 2002, 12:55:12 AM »
I'm curious what the consensus is (if any) of the knowledgeable GCA readership to this poser -- what's the best way to handle giving the player target lines?

Fair and upfront -- make the correct lines obvious, so the player knows where he wants to go and feels confident he is taking the proper line.

Hidden and mysterious -- leave no obvious lines at all, so whatever line the player chooses he's unsure of himself.

Evil and deceitful -- make the INCORRECT line obvious, so the player thinks he knows where he wants to go and feels confident until its too late.

If there are other options you feel should be included, feel free to pick a write-in choice.  I'm not a big fan of "hidden and mysterious", I hate having no idea where I am and should be aiming.  I'd much rather confidently swing at the wrong target, as I'm much more likely to at least make a good swing on the ball.

"Fair and upfront" is fine on a challenging course, on Muirfield for instance I always knew where I should aim (other than confusion over which tee I was playing from on #17 leading to my only lost ball)  Muirfield provides enough challenge on its own to have no need to trick you into going where you shouldn't or leaving you ambiguous shots.  But not every course can be a Muirfield, and I'd rather use "evil and deceitful" to raise the challenge than "hidden and mysterious".  Maybe that just proves I'm evil and deceitful?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
My hovercraft is full of eels.

A_Clay_Man

Re: Target lines: which is best?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2002, 08:18:05 AM »
I'd have to say that Mackenzies use of the land at CPC as target lines was and is probably one of those subliminal aspects that makes it so darn fun.(hi tom ;D )

Tim Weiman

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2002, 09:16:03 AM »
Doug Siebert:

I take the opposite view when it comes to "hidden and mysterious". We don't see enough of that, especially from modern architects.

With all the technology available to the golfer today, the last thing we need to do is cuddle him with "confidence". Wouldn't it be better to make him unsure of what to do, where to hit a few times on each side? Doesn't it make the course more interesting long term when you step up to the hole and never quite feel confident what you are supposed to do?

Mike Benham

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2002, 10:11:12 AM »
Does the hedge at Poipu's 16th green, counts as a target line?

One of the most ridiculus things I have seen on a golf course (the hedge at Auburn's football stadium is a much better use of the woody shrub).

As Tiger said "When you are in the fairway, it's hard to believe that there is green over the hedge".   The only good thing that could be on the other side of the hedge is a rose garden.

Could you imagine Pebble Beach GL with a hedge down the left side .... :o
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back