News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

cary lichtenstein

Jamaica
« on: November 28, 2002, 11:50:30 PM »
Can anyone tell me about the golf courses in Jamaica. I hear that White Witch is almost as good as Casa de Campo. I hear Tryall is good also. Any comments?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

John_Conley

Re: Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2002, 08:19:49 AM »
From viewing a Shell's episode, I don't think White Witch is in that league.  The views are terrific, however.

I played a rather disappointing Half-Moon course.  It is okay.  (3 on the Doak Scale?)  

For great golf, go somewhere other than the Carribean.  (That's my personal rule.)

henrye

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2002, 10:21:49 AM »
Quasssi.  Don't believe everything you hear.  Tryall is a wonderful championship course.  The layout, topography, views are all great.  The conditioning is typically dry and hard and has some browning, so it's not like a typical US style, manicured to perfection type course.  The wind is ever present.  You will enjoy your round there.

-2.5 ver. 3.0

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2002, 05:43:02 PM »
Aye,

Mr. Conley is correct in that Half Moon is but a shadow of its former self.

A real Trenter (as in Jones) from 1961 which was a very good year for Bordeaux, not necessarily for golf courses.  It rolls about in a non-confrontational manner as one would expect from a resort course replete with jumpsuited Jamaican caddies.  Typically bunkered and featuring large, not-too-intriguing greens.

Given the general upgrade brought about in the area by the new Ritz Carlton with its association with the White Witch, I would have to believe that the time is near for an update of lunar proportions.

Of course I could be wrong.

Fred_Ruttenberg

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2002, 10:57:15 AM »
Cary-The White Witch is a spectacular golfing experience. I would rate it on a par with Casa di Campo. Call me if you would like to discuss further.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2002, 12:44:34 PM »
It has been 10 years since I ventured to the land Reggae and spleef, but we discovered an entertaining golf course called Runaway Bay on the resort side (north) of the island. The head pro was (is) a man named Seymour Rose who played in some PGA Tour events in the 1960's.

I recall lots of interesting lay-of-the-land rolls and folds in the fairway and the routing worked very well. Admittedly, it did not have a lot of the bells and whistles resort guests desire, but in this case I found its clever simplicity quite appealling.

It is a short distance from "Dunn's River Falls" - a side journey I recommend - and is (was?) attached to a resort called "Jamaica Jamaica."

We played every morning and our regular caddies were a couple of guys named Kyle and Lassus. Kyle was a legit 2-handicapper with a gorgeous swing and the touch of a jewel thief. . . . . Lassus was a decent 6 or 7 and we played a daily 4-way match with our caddies playing out of our bags.

Neither owned a sand wedge of their own, so I sent them each a Phil Rodgers model when I went home. Several months later I got a simply written note from Lassus thanking me. I wrote back (neither had a telephone) asking how Kyle was doing and Lassus wrote back saying Kyle was playing well and trying to qualify for the Jamaican Open.

Sadly, the last I heard, Kyle's dream of coming to America and becoming a club pro had not come to pass. He wanted to be like Seymour Rose, but Kyle could not read or write even a bit. I often wonder what became of Lassus, but in truth I'm afraid to know the fate of Kyle. . . . . the underbelly of Jamaica is a violent place once you leave the Montego Bay area and he dealt marijuana on the side for extra cash.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:11 PM by -1 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back