News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Cirba

Re: public golf opps for those in Philly area
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
Mark,

Plus, we know Robert White designed it!  ;)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2010, 05:44:48 PM »
Mark,

Plus, we know Robert White designed it!  ;)

Are you sure?  Maybe THIS was Raynor's first design.  What
does MacWood say?   ;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Cirba

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2010, 05:53:07 PM »
Joe,

I guess we shouldn't tell him that isn't only one, but TWO redan holes at Berkleigh.  ;D

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2010, 07:59:45 PM »
All this talk of Berkleigh caused me to go check out their website. What a great spring special:

APRIL SUPER SAVER (our economic stimulus plan!!!!!)  HA HA

From 1:00pm to 3:00pm Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday rates only $25.00

After 3:00pm only $20.00 

GREAT SAVINGS !!!

Mike Cirba

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2010, 08:16:29 PM »
Joe,

I guess we shouldn't tell him that isn't only one, but TWO redan holes at Berkleigh.  ;D

You guys are always showing off about how much you know. It does not matter if it is a sedan or a convertible, what matters is how you play it.  ;D These are the most challenging set of par threes anywhere around. Moselem has a couple of fine par 3's, #3 (probably the very best in the area) and #13, but as a set I think Berkleigh beats them hands down. I routinely hit 2 iron to 3 iron on at least 2 of them and sometimes 3, just depends on tee placement and/or wind.

Kelly,

I'm thinking #3 is sort of an Eden hole.  ;)  ;D

I also am very fond of the par fives, , particularly #4 & 14 which are both exceptional.

Throw in some superb par fours such as #2, 5, 10, 11, 13, and you have a really fun round of golf.

The last three holes, all short fours (each good in it's own way but....) prevent Berkleigh from bow-down-and-worship status, but it's tough to find a better first 15 holes in the state.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 09:24:39 PM »
I cant get enough of that 10-14 stretch.  I wish they would return the 11th green back to its square-ish shape.  Then again....I would love to see them reclaim some lost green areas on a lot of the holes.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Matt_Ward

« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2010, 09:55:23 AM »
Joe B:

When asked about South Philly area public courses of note - help me out with my compass but you mentioned Architect's and Morgan Hill. Aren't those choices on the northern side of things?

Michael H:

Olde Homestead is a fun decent layout for the masses -- there isn't anything really noteworthy on the architecture side of things but it does offer a very competitive price which helps bring the players there.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 10:12:46 AM »
Joe B:

When asked about South Philly area public courses of note - help me out with my compass but you mentioned Architect's and Morgan Hill. Aren't those choices on the northern side of things?

Perhaps you missed the first part of my response to Steve:

None are exactly a short drive for you Steve.  How would you like to sample four different architects, and a combination of old and new?

I would suggest:  Berkleigh, Center Valley, Morgan Hill, and Architects Club (the latter sort of trying to be 16 different architects!).

Matt_Ward

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 10:26:53 AM »
Joe:

OK -- but the ones you mentioned do require an extensive drive from the southern area -- possibly another choice for people to consider is Pilgrim's Oak.

Frankly, much of what call itself top tier public golf in the greater Phila area is really not that special -- to the credit of Kelly Blake Moran that has changed a good deal with the addition of such places like Morgan Hill and Lederach.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
Joe:

OK -- but the ones you mentioned do require an extensive drive from the southern area -- possibly another choice for people to consider is Pilgrim's Oak.

Frankly, much of what call itself top tier public golf in the greater Phila area is really not that special -- to the credit of Kelly Blake Moran that has changed a good deal with the addition of such places like Morgan Hill and Lederach.

Steve was asking about courses that are part of the GolfStylesOnline deal, which was the reason for this thread.  None of those available are close to South Philly at all.

Yes, Matt, you've mentioned your 'love' for Philly area public courses many times.   ;D

Steve Strasheim

Thanks, guys.

Let's say it doesn't have to be part of the golfstyles deal. We stay in the Italian Market area. It seems AC might be a better direction if we choose not to go for value side of things.

Joe Bausch

The deals at GolfStylesOnline.com are selling out quickly.  Four courses are sold out now:

http://www.golfstyles.net/philadelphia/readerrewardsFOUR.html

Dan Herrmann

Olde Homestead is a lot of fun.  As is Honeybrook (only time I played behind an Amish twosome!)

I love Lederach, and Morgan Hills has some really memorable holes.

Architects is a lot of fun if it's not too busy.  Bad 18th hole is a bit or a downer though.

Wyncote is a great walking course that was once the #2 new course in a Golf Digest rating.

I agree with Matt on Pilgrims Oak.  It's cheap, scenic, and fun.   

Rees Jones "Broad Run" (Tattersall) is worth a visit if for no reason other then to study a poor course by a good architect.  You can't walk this course!
-----------------------------------

Applecross is supposed to open 9 holes this summer.  I drove by and it looked kinda mundane from the outside - granted this could be completely wrong (I made that mistake with my Tetherow observations last year).

================

If you're heading toward AC, do play Twisted Dune.  Do play Sand Barrens.  And give the fine folks at Hidden Creek a call - I don't know if you can get on, but you won't forget it if you do.  Of course, Atlantic City GC is an excellent choice.

Dan Herrmann

PS - Joe - Center Valley?  Really?   The only reason I head up there is to visit the Rave movie theater (the best in SE Pennsylvania) or LL Bean.

I guess we all need a guilty pleasure!  Mine is Five Guys ;)

Steve_ Shaffer

Royal Manchester in York County is scheduled to open June 18:

www.royalmanchestergolflinks.com
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back