News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gavrich

Youngest Architect?
« on: January 29, 2006, 09:59:45 PM »
Who is the youngest person ever to be credited with the design of a golf course.  Youngest to have a course holf a professional tournament?  A major?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jordan Wall

Re:Youngest Architect?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 10:04:08 PM »
If you count the number of courses that you and me have drawn on paper then I have the feeling you and me could be the winners, Tim.  However, I do not know the real answer to this.  Tim, we should come up with a design team together and make a golf course.  We'd really be the youngest then ;D

Kyle Harris

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 10:17:32 PM »
Wayne can provide more details, but William Flynn was 19 at the time of his first design, as per Geoff Shackelford's "Golden Age of Golf Architecture."

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 02:00:38 PM »
Stanley Thompson was also very young 16 -19?

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 02:14:20 PM »
Flynn was 19 when he designed the 9-hole Kilkare course in Heartwellville, VT for a William Plunkett.  A tournament was held there in 1917 that had Alex Smith, Horace Rawlins, Fred McLeod and Jim Barnes.  While not a major, there were some talented golfers in the field.

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 03:04:11 PM »
Being a Timucuan Indian who were known to be true giants, Tommy Birdsong who designed the world's greatest hidden gem, Fernandina Beach Municipal G.C., was close to 5' tall when he designed that course even if he was only about twenty minutes old. Tommy Birdsong never did draw regular architectural plans but we are trying to get Duval County to donate to the new USGA architectural archive initiative the sandbox TommyB's mother had him in and in which he mapped out the course in the sand before he was an hour old. There is a fair sized lake in the middle of the course and they say that shows up on Tommy's sandbox plan where he took his first leak.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 03:06:36 PM by TEPaul »

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 04:07:04 PM »

I think it is more speculation than fact that Stanley Thompson designed a few courses before his service in WW1.

TK

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 05:40:38 PM »

This is the reference to Norway Point I assume. I always thought this was bad information. First his brother Nicol was involved in golf design before Stanley, and was the one who brought him into what became Thompson Cumming and Thompson. I still have found no reference to Stanley being involved in anything till after he returned from the war. I still think the beginning twenties would be more likely the time of his first solo work.

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 05:52:54 PM »
Some guys did courses when they were very young.  Seymour Dunn for example had two designs under his belt when he was just 17.  

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 08:58:44 PM »
Jack Neville was 25 when he "designed" Pebble Beach, I believe.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back