News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Kimball

How did you find GCA???
« on: December 02, 2002, 04:38:33 PM »
The thread regarding the virtual tour of Cypress got me thinking on the way home from work -- How did I come accross GCA?  About 2 years ago I decided to take a "break" from publishing medical newsletters and entered "Pine Valley Golf Club" into my google search browser.  Well, you can guess the first listed option.    :D

It is still the same today, if you enter Cypress Point, Seminole, NGLA, Cuscowilla, Shinnecock, etc., one of the first options is GCA.  I just wish now I had accessed the discussion group back then. (I will never forget opening my Golf Plus SI and reading that article.)  I could have been part of the original "treehouse."  

Like all of you, I can't wait to see if I can figure out Soctt's AOTD (sorry Scott, but it looks like you have a 2nd job now!!! ;)), and I love going through the archives and reading Tom Paul's posts (do you have a book deal yet :)) and Tommy's bunker lessons.  

I am just curious as to how all of ya'll found out about the site, and THANK YOU RAN!!!!!  

If any of you are travelling in the Atlanta area, I would love to play with you  -- if I still have a job after all my time on GCA!!!!!!!!!!!  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Patrick_Mucci

Re: How did you find GCA???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2002, 04:50:15 PM »
Rob,

Ron Forse introduced me to the site which in turn was responsible for introducing me to Ran.

I'm still evaluating if the two balance out  ;D

Doug Wright

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2002, 05:13:42 PM »
Rob,

Much like you two years ago this month I punched in "Sand Hills GC" on the Internet and GCA came up first and foremost. As my best friend/golfing buddy can attest, it was a "Eureka" experience for me--I immediately called him and said, "You gotta see this website!!"  Fortunately I did find the discussion group and have very much enjoyed it, and the folks hereon, ever since.

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2002, 05:51:27 PM »
My good friend, "Ricky Ross", turned me onto the site.   ;)

Then, spending time golfing with Ran at Beverly made me a real devotee!  ;) :)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2002, 06:37:49 PM »
About 2 1/2 years ago, while he was officiating a Golf Association of Philadelphia event at my prior club, one of our respected doyens told me I needed to check out this great website.  

This was shortly before he told me about GAP's desire to annex the clubs of Westchester and Long Island  ;D

Even though the posts are infrequent (I've still a lot to learn), I've been hooked ever since.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2002, 06:43:02 PM »
By chance, I met Gil Hanse about 3 years ago. I knew his name from his work at Stonewall and the remodel of Downingtown, two local clubs.  I went home that night and tried to learn more about his company, including his course @ Inniscrone which was under construction at the time. A couple searches on Google unearthed a "hidden gem" of a website called GolfClubAtlas.

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2002, 07:06:09 PM »
Got here from Bravenet about two (?) years ago.
Got to Bravenet from another long forgotten Discussion Group.
Got to that long forgotten DG from Golfweb.

I know many others here who've followed that same path.  These are friendships that go back many years.

CHrisB

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2002, 07:18:27 PM »
I was playing in a tournament at Palmetto GC in SC last year, and a friend/competitor and I were talking about the course and about architecture.  He recommended this website but warned, "they (DG participants) tend to argue quite a bit, but it's still really good".

He was right, and he was right! :)

ian

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2002, 07:20:04 PM »
Funny enough, another architect e-mailed me about the site :); he has never posted once :(. Too bad too.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2002, 08:20:38 PM »
Like Jeremy and a few others, I used to participate on a few sites like Bravenet, and "Traditional Golf", with many other familiar faces.

One day I was emailing back and forth with Tommy Naccarato when he said something to the effect of, "Yeah, I tried to make that same point the other day on Golf Club Atlas".  

Of course, I was intrigued to find out more, and when I came over to the site I was captivated by the level of interest and high-level discussion.  

Or wait...was that it?  No..I think I was stumbling around drunk one night and wandered down this dark, foreboding alley when I came across a tall, gangly rogue of a man with a strange mixture of a southern US and Australian accent who kept telling me that Pete Dye was the second coming of Seth Raynor and that he had the power to make otherwise rational, sane, somewhat accomplished men from around the globe spend their days typing away in debate over everything from "maintenance melds" and "the value of rankings" to the "will of the membership".  Yeah, that's it.  ;)

Nothing a 12-step progam couldn't fix, but what's the point of resisting, anyway?  I'm happily hooked. ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2002, 08:50:27 PM »
I used to look in on some of the other precusor sites to Golfclubatlas over three years ago.

GeoffShac (my original architectural mentor) told me about this site the day it opened and I've been here ever since. If you think I have a lot of posts on this format you should see the old archives--it's shocking!

But some of us Golfclubatlasers should give a round of applause to those who have been into all this passion for golf architecture a lot longer than Golfclubatlasers have--on sites like Bravenet and Traditional golf.

Guys like Dan King, Tommy Nacarrato and some of the others! To them Golfclubatlas probably seems like a prepubescent or even an interloper!

Steve Wilson

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2002, 10:16:06 PM »
In the spring of 2001 I was considering going to the Donald Ross Society Tournament at Holston Hills.  One of the search options happened to be the course profile here at dear old GCA.  Two quick clicks and I was here.
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2002, 11:09:56 PM »
A rehab clinic--and then I got addicted to GCA.

D. Kilfara

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2002, 04:13:13 AM »
I forget which course I did a Google/Yahoo search on (something relatively esoteric like NGLA, I think), but I followed that path to GolfClubAtlas. The course profiles were what really attracted me here first, but then I discovered the discussion group...  ::)

:)

Cheers,
Darren

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2002, 05:37:20 AM »
I too am a veteran (or should I say addict/survivor) or years of aimlessly wandering through Golfweb then Traditional Golf then Bravenet.

As to the actual discovery.  One of the gang mentioned it in an private email.  I dont think I was over here on GCA yet when Tommy and I got together for our trip in the desert were we Tommy?  It must have been sometime after that.  As I recall it wasnt mentioned on the other DG that we were using (only in email outside the system) as we were all trying to help it limp along and to speak of desertion would have been heresy.  But alas after hearing about it I came over and am glad that I did.

I still check in with the boys over at Bravenet everyonce in a while.  It is a different pace to things over there.

Here's to many more good years!!!  Thanks Ran.

ps now might be an interesting time to renew the "Who are you guys" thread to see who all the new guys are (I will let someone more talented than I do that).  I wonder how long it has been since that was on the active page.  However if you have posted before dont clutter things up unless you have new information.  Didnt someone at sometime take all that list of people, places, and clubs and put them in a spread sheet as I recall.  I can not remember who that was
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

John Foley

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2002, 06:29:17 AM »
Like Jeremy, Daryl, Mike C & others, I was over on GolfWeb & Bravenet. I also remeber the day everything changed. There we're not many postings lately and it had seemed like no one partcipating. Someone posted a topic "Where did everyone go?" Tommy chimes in w/ We're all over at GCA and you better get over here too.  Ever since then, it's an everyday place!!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2002, 07:22:59 AM »
I was searching the web for information on Pete Dye for the book I put together on our courses that I give to the various raters/rankers who visit.  Out pops GolfClubAtlas and it's since become an integral part of said book...

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2002, 07:54:48 AM »
Almost exactly 18 months ago today, I was doing a search for bio info on architect Mike Strantz, and the Feature Interview here popped up.  My old message board haunt, an independent VT sports site's boards, hasn't heard from me since, and I visit infrequently.

I seem to recall another here mentioning discovering GCA via a search for info on Strantz.

George Pazin

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2002, 07:57:00 AM »
Sought out and played Tobacco Road after Golf Magazine listed it as a top 10 new. Came back intrigued, did an internet seach on Mike Strantz, found the feature interviews. Recognized Geoff Shackelford & Tom Doak from books I had recently purchased. Took me a few months to find the DG.

Thanks again everyone for lots of good times.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Matt Dupre

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2002, 07:59:47 AM »
I came across GCA a year ago when I was looking for info/visuals on Garden City before playing it for the first time.  I was immediately hooked on the course profiles, but didn't venture into the discussion group (hand slapping forehead).  My home club - Rolling Green - was posted in My Home Course this fall, which I heard about at a Greens Committee meeting.  I also found out that a few other ne'er-do-wells were registered, so I explored a few threads and am hooked - and am learning an awful lot about what I don't know.

I just wish I could figure out the Smileys.....

THuckaby2

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2002, 08:04:30 AM »

Turboe, John V, Kevin Reilly, Dick Daley,  Ken Cotner, Jim Reilly, AWT, Craig Edgeman, Mike Erdman, Pete Galea, Peter Pittock, TEP, DKing, Mike Duffy, Jeremy Glenn, Geoffrey PhD, Cirba, Mike Golden, Mike DeVries, Russ Talley and of course Tommy_N were all at GolfWeb years ago. (Sorry for any omissions, this was totally off the cuff.)

No amount of begging will gain my forgiveness, redanman.  Jeez how soon they forget.   ;)

Many of those names above AND MINE AS WELL go back to sites even before golfweb... Dan King and Tommy and I at the very leasted started on all of this on rec.sports.golf way back around 1990.  The internet barely existed then, but yep, there was a place to talk golf.  Interesting, that group still continues today in one form or another... the infamous Ken Pitts is still making waves there and elsewhere.

In any case, I too was a participant in many groups, than Craig Edgmand told me about golfclubatlas whilst we were driving home from playing Bayonet/Blackhorse.  I was quiet for a long time before I posted... the rest is shameless history.   ;)

TH

SL_Solow

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2002, 08:11:00 AM »
A golf course architect (he remains a lurker) who was working on our course told me about the site as a place where I might meet others with similar interests.

mike_malone

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2002, 08:34:59 AM »
Someone at my club emailed me a copy of a thread that discussed opinions on Philadelphia area clubs.The discussion seemed interesting.So i went directly to the site and have enjoyed it ever since.
AKA Mayday

Joe Hancock

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2002, 03:55:14 PM »
A future Hall of Fame Archie told be about it!

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2002, 06:38:14 PM »
I know who that is!!! ;D
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back