News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Re:NLE's that you have played?
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2006, 12:56:08 PM »
Just in Atlanta:

Centennial
Metropolitan
Hidden Hills (soon to be)

I guess the odds are higher in a sprawling, real estate-consuming metro area.

AD

I was going to post about having played Centennial, and the weirdness (or at least feeling old to see one of my own be a NLE) but then remembered that Owner Larry Nelson didn't even invite me to grand opening, so I have never played it!  I have played Brookstone when I go to Atlanta, but never made it to Centennial.

Hard to believe!  Jeff, it was a good golf course that needed to be in a different place.  I played it a bunch, and always enjoyed it.  Fun and challenging for all levels of golfers.  I still have the logo ball in my rack at home. :)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »
From one of the Myrtle Beach vacation marketing websites;

"Designed by Rees Jones, one of America's foremost golf course architects, Belle Terre opened to rave reviews and has gained in popularity since...

...A timeless classic, Belle Terre will continue to challenge golfers for years to come."

Maybe we should redefine "timeless", "classic", and "years to come".
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2006, 01:06:18 PM »

Hard to believe!  Jeff, it was a good golf course that needed to be in a different place.  I played it a bunch, and always enjoyed it.  Fun and challenging for all levels of golfers.  I still have the logo ball in my rack at home. :)

Then you have more than I do in the way of memorabilia and playing memories!  The only hole I didn't care for was 6, which had a lay up or not decision.  I wish the stream had been at a different angle.  But, as they must have said on the Titanic, it doesn't seem to matter much now...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 01:07:27 PM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2006, 01:13:34 PM »
Add Belle Terre to my list, too. Probably my least favorite of close to 10 M B courses played.

Andy Scanlon

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2006, 01:13:42 PM »
My list includes:

Eagle Lodge  :'( :'((one of my favorites)
Valley Forge GC
Blue Heron Pines East (presumably)
The Desert Inn
Marsh Harbour
Robbers Roost

Ahh, the fond memories of yesterdays...
All architects will be a lot more comfortable when the powers that be in golf finally solve the ball problem. If the distance to be gotten with the ball continues to increase, it will be necessary to go to 7,500 and even 8000 yard courses.  
- William Flynn, golf architect, 1927

Andy Hughes

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2006, 01:27:08 PM »
I must say that this classic in Snydersville is one of the very few in northeastern PA I never got the opportunity to play.  Somehow, I think I'm poorer for that.
Mike, I have no idea how long the course had been there or who was responsible (do you, by any chance?), but wierdly for such a um, unique course it did have some fun holes. Up and down large hills, around substantial landforms.  Blind tee shots. A shelf green cut into a hillside a la Dornoch (ok, I won't push that comparison too hard).  People rave about Garden City's greens being extensions of the fairway? They never saw Bush's! No bunkers either, not one that I can recall.
Or maybe it was because I was 13 and I could play all day for $2.50.  I suspect you might be the only other gca-er here who might have appreciated Bush's.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2006, 01:37:54 PM »
Mike, I have no idea how long the course had been there or who was responsible (do you, by any chance?), but wierdly for such a um, unique course it did have some fun holes. Up and down large hills, around substantial landforms.  Blind tee shots. A shelf green cut into a hillside a la Dornoch (ok, I won't push that comparison too hard).  People rave about Garden City's greens being extensions of the fairway? They never saw Bush's! No bunkers either, not one that I can recall.
Or maybe it was because I was 13 and I could play all day for $2.50.  I suspect you might be the only other gca-er here who might have appreciated Bush's.

Andy,

Unfortunately, Bush's closed before I was able to research its history.  However, I do believe that it had another name prior, possibly Mo-Nom-O-Nock.  Without knowing how old you are, I'm curious if it was always "Bush's" when you played there?

I know what you mean about funky, fun, bunkerless nine-holers at age thirteen.  Mine, known as Scott-View Golf Course, had a membership program where I played unlimited golf for the year for $35.  We took full advantage of that, probably averaging about .0001 cent per hole played.  ;D

And talk about Firm and Fast and lack of irrigation!!!  We wouldn't dare fly a ball to the green on any of these courses unless we wanted to play our next shot from 20 yards beyond.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2006, 01:43:16 PM »
Flynn's (and Harry Collis') Manor CC in Rockville, MD :(

Going to this technical of a level, add it to my list, too.

I thought of 1/3 of another course, the last 6 holes of the original Shore course at MPCC.

Allan Long

« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2006, 02:23:45 PM »
California:
Imperial (Housing)
Los Alamitos (bulldozed--some land used for Cypress GC)
River Valley (Housing)
Stardust (bulldozed and totally redone; NKA Riverwalk)
Twin Lakes (Housing)

Florida:
Doral-White (Original design bulldozed and redone by Norman)

Hawaii:
Kauai Surf (Now home to the Kiele and Mokihana courses at Kauai Lagoons GC)

Missouri:
Crackerneck (Housing)

North Carolina:
Eagle Crest (Abandoned)
Finley at UNC (bulldozed and totally redone by Tom Fazio)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 02:28:23 PM by Allan_Long »
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Andy Hughes

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2006, 02:59:59 PM »
Andy,
Unfortunately, Bush's closed before I was able to research its history.  However, I do believe that it had another name prior, possibly Mo-Nom-O-Nock.  Without knowing how old you are, I'm curious if it was always "Bush's" when you played there?

I know what you mean about funky, fun, bunkerless nine-holers at age thirteen.  Mine, known as Scott-View Golf Course, had a membership program where I played unlimited golf for the year for $35.  We took full advantage of that, probably averaging about .0001 cent per hole played.  ;D

And talk about Firm and Fast and lack of irrigation!!!  We wouldn't dare fly a ball to the green on any of these courses unless we wanted to play our next shot from 20 yards beyond.

Mike,
I was there in the late 70s, and Bush's was the only name I ever heard.
I did a quick check online, and it looks like there was a Mo-nom-o-nock, but I suspect it was elsewhere.  The address listed is Mountainhome which is in the general area but not where Bush's was.

You may be interested. Came across this picture:  
It was labelled:
Title:Golfing At Monomonock Inn
Pennsylvania (PA), Chrome, unused
Description: Sky High in the Poconos Mountainhome 29, Pa

To muddy the waters a bit, this does look a bit like the 5th hole at Bush's, though there appears to be a pronounced valley in front of the green, and I only remember the green being uphill.  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 03:16:59 PM by Andy Hughes »
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2006, 03:02:48 PM »
North Carolina:
Eagle Crest (Abandoned)
Finley at UNC (bulldozed and totally redone by Tom Fazio)

Add 'old' Finley to my list, too.

Allan, Eagle Crest either is or will be housing.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2006, 03:20:32 PM »
Boston Corners GC  Millerton, NY(Stephen Kay design built/owned by Stanley Peschel)

Blue Heron Pines GC - East Course

Pound Ridge GC

Belleview Park GC Steubenville, OH (Wild 9-hole course that was most likely an estate course built in the 20's - sold to nearby Franciscan University)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2006, 03:27:48 PM »
Mike,
I was there in the late 70s, and Bush's was the only name I ever heard.
I did a quick check online, and it looks like there was a Mo-nom-o-nock, but I suspect it was elsewhere.  The address listed is Mountainhome which is in the general area but not where Bush's was.

You may be interested. Came across this picture:  
It was labelled:
Title:Golfing At Monomonock Inn
Pennsylvania (PA), Chrome, unused
Description: Sky High in the Poconos Mountainhome 29, Pa

To muddy the waters a bit, this does look a bit like the 5th hole at Bush's, though there appears to be a pronounced valley in front of the green, and I only remember the green being uphill.  

Andy,

Unfortunately, I can't see the pic from my work computer.  I'll check when I get home.

Similarly, I thought folks here familiar with golf in the Poconos might be interested in the following article that has some really cool old pics of holes like the Binnikill hole at Shawnee, a really startling pic of the famed 77 yard 7th hole at Pocono Manor (with a green appearing much larger than exists today), one of Mon-Om-O-Nock, one of Donald Ross's Buck Hill, etc.

You need to scroll down a few pages to get to the pics.

Unfortunately, coming across the article also reminded me of another sad NLE, which was Wiscassett by Robert White in Mount Pocono.

http://www.libraries.psu.edu/do/digitalbookshelf/29572677/29572677_part_02.pdf

Chris Moore

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2006, 04:46:54 PM »
Richland Country Club, Nashville Tennessee (Ross course and site of 1981 U.S. Women's Open).  The club abandoned the inner-city and its interesting old course and moved to the 'burbs for a Nicklaus creation.

Lakewood Country Club, New Orleans, Louisiana (site of Greater New Orleans Open for 26 years).  Now proudly serving as a trailer park for FEMA trailers.  Before Katrina, there were plans of a renovation.  Not sure of the status of those plans now.  

Kyle Harris

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2006, 04:51:54 PM »
NLEs I've played:

Fountain Springs Country Club, Ashland, PA. The first golf course in the southern coal region (Schuylkill CC would follow 15 years later). This 1907 course was sold to a developer in 2003 after sputtering through a late life. I first played it in 1998 when it was a nine holer with two sets of tees for those playing 18. I recently discovered that it was originally an 18 hole course laid out by a "nationally-known professional" in 1907. This piqued my interest and I need to get to the Schuylkill County Historic Society to see if any records exist.

Alex Findlay is my first guess.

Eagle Lodge: This one going NLE first brought me into the harsh world of golf reality. Why this was ever bulldozed for the ACE(tm) Club is beyond me.

NLEs I regret not getting to:

Valley Forge... didn't even know this was closed until this thread went up.  :-[

Jay Flemma

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2006, 04:55:19 PM »
Crestwood GC in Marcy, NY is teeterng on the edge ever since ownership changed hands in the 80s...they dont care about the condition  of the course...a great track with alot of character and angles.  The owner doesnot want to spend any $$ on it, but doesn't want to sell it either...its a shame.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2006, 05:00:25 PM »

Valley Forge... didn't even know this was closed until this thread went up.  :-[

Happened to stay at the Sheraton across the street Tues. Brought my sticks and everything; front entrance blocked by logs.

Why don't you locals "Sheep Ranch" Valley Forge National Park?  Looks like they got plenty of land...

Jay Flemma

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2006, 05:14:36 PM »
I love it!  "sheep ranch" is now a verb as well as a noun!

Come on everybody!  Let's go sheep ranching!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2006, 05:24:55 PM »

Happened to stay at the Sheraton across the street Tues. Brought my sticks and everything; front entrance blocked by logs.

Why don't you locals "Sheep Ranch" Valley Forge National Park?  Looks like they got plenty of land...

It's magnificent golf land. In fact I have some images of it that I will dig-up later.

However, did you know that Tom Paul led his troops there over a very cold winter, more or less getting their bull pucky together so they could kick ass on the Red Coats the next spring? Unfortunately, George got the credit because TE was too busy routing golf courses at somewhat close by (as the crow fies) Androssan Farm. (personally, I think he was bedding the farmers daughter)

And now you know the rest of the story......

Ian Andrew

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2006, 05:27:04 PM »
Jeff,

From the article Robert and I wrote called Missing Links. Here is a piece on St. Andrew's in Toronto. Bill McWilliam, the manager at St. Andrew's East, was the last pro at the club.
The course was quite good, but would not be in the elite in Canadian Golf. Jericho, also on the last page definately is the biggest loss.

York Downs (Alison) is the club that Lorne talks about the most, was that the club you meant.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »
Mike, Andy et al-

There's a post card on ebay picturing  a hole on Mo-nom-o-nock in the 50's. Maybe it may shed some light.

wsmorrison

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2006, 06:23:59 PM »
Nothing new to add, but my three are:

Manor CC
Valley Forge GC
Eagle Lodge GC

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2006, 06:32:01 PM »
Wayne-

By chance was Manor a course near Reading that Flynn may have had a hand in?

Dan Moore

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »
Timber Trails outside Chicago, a fairly unremarkable Robert Bruce Harris design.  Its been a while and if I remeber correctly one par 4 was a 90 degree dogleg left at 175 yards which encouraged a heroic shot over someone's backyard to cut the dogleg.  
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

wsmorrison

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2006, 06:55:24 PM »
Craig,

The Manor I refer to (as did Craig Disher earlier) is in Washington, DC.  Flynn designed 27 holes there; a full size 18 and a 9 hole short course.  The short course was built and the back 9 according to Flynn but the front 9 was completed and redesigned by Harry Collis.

Do you or anyone else know anything about the origin of Meadia Heights GC (1922) in southern Lancaster County?  It looks a bit like Flynn, from old aerials at least.  It is near Eshelman Mill Road and that family was important in the development of Flynn's Lancaster CC.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 07:00:05 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back