News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob_Waldron

Re:NLE's that you have played?
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2006, 09:33:43 AM »
Mayday

Have you heard something about Deerfield that I have not??? The last I heard the State of Delaware bought the golf course and was looking for an operator. I passed on the deal.

mike_malone

« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2006, 09:38:03 AM »
 Rob,

You would know more than me; my information was from this summer, a developer who was a friend of the guy who wanted to buy it led me to believe it was a goner. I surely hope I am wrong.
 I will do a search of the News Journal.

www.state.de.us/.../2005/07july/ 070705%20-%20state%20to%20preserve%20145%20acres%20near%20white%20clay.shtml -

Link to story confirming the State bought the property. Thank you Rob.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 09:47:54 AM by mayday_malone »
AKA Mayday

PThomas

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2006, 09:48:32 AM »
Timber Trails in suburban Chicago, a pretty penal public track sold for housing this year..all you tree haters would have REALLY hated this one!!!

sad if Blue Heron Pines goes, just because it is/was?  a pretty good golf course...seemed a bit overpriced , though...think the fee was about $80

I'll always remember my round at the old Desert Inn, just because the wind gusts were clocked at 47 mph that day...and kudos to my wife, as she finished the round too!...

197 played, only 3 to go!!

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2006, 09:53:04 AM »
Mayday Mike,

I didn't add Deerfield to my list because I had heard what Rob heard.  I hadn't given up hope yet!   :)  I want to get back there again for a round some day...

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 10:03:14 AM »
I played Tropicana in Vegas in 1960 on the 4th of July teeing off at noon.  It had to be a gazillion degrees in the shade.  I think Adam Clayman was my caddie, but my brain was so fried I'm not really sure..... ???

Do partially NLE places count? If so I'll add:

Chimney Rock (Napa, CA)
Princes Course (Gleneagles)
Arran Course (Turnberry)
Struie (Dornoch)

Is Peacock Gap in NorCal still E?

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 10:06:47 AM »
I drive by Valley Forge on the way to work and noticed yesterday on a day near 60 degrees that no one was out there and no flags were on the greens.   :'(

Have the sold the property for development?

Please don't tell me that my 1 hour and 15 minute commute will now become 1 hour 45 minutes due to a massive increase in the congestion around that area?? (/quote)

Mike-
I read that it was officially closed for good. Too bad. I had not played the course for a long time. I suppose it was an unconscious protest
against the property owner's longstanding push for development,
and the neglect they showed for the course.

Valley Forge, along with Malvern, were really the 2 courses where
I first started learning the game as a 15 year-old in the late 70's.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 10:26:38 AM »
Mike

The sale of Valley Forge and the zoning problem was tied up in litigation for years that was finally resolved by the PA Supremes. Joe Logan wrote about the final day last November.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Andy Hughes

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 11:00:43 AM »
Tom,
You have one photo in your book, do you have any more?

Ian, George Bahto actually has some of Tom's photos (I believe) in his Evangelist book.
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Andy Hughes

« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2006, 11:02:32 AM »
Mr Cirba informed me that my first course, Bush's, ceased to exist. No idea why or what came after (or how Mike would have ever heard of such a tiny little 9 holer hidden outside Stroudsburg, PA)
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2006, 11:14:18 AM »
Craig Rokke,
No, I didn't know Garo was a member there. Maybe I can get him to  go to Ashville or Florida and have him attempt that kick... Garo was known for his accuracy and consistency wasn't he!

I forgot to add my name to the Desert Inn as a NLE I once played. I have had that unfortunate, but memorable vision of seeing another NLE: Telly Savalas teeing-off there in nothing but a speedo. No golf shoes, no shirt, just a speedo and lots of gold jewelry. (He played about two or three groups in front of me.)

When he wasn't acting, Telly played golf (the one constant love of his life) everywhere possible and for as many charity tournaments as he could find. He was truly a man possessed when it came to golf. When there were no tournaments to be played he would gather three friends and spend all day on the golf course. He purchased a house in Palm Desert specifically because he enjoyed the courses there so much. --From the Official Telly Savalas website

ForkaB

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2006, 11:23:56 AM »
C'mon, Tommy

PhotoShop that picture and show us Telly in his Speedo!

Little known fact about Garo.  He and our Gibster were the initial inductees into the Amernian-American Sports Hall of Fame.

"I keek a touchdown!"--Garo Ypremian after his first NFL field goal

"Youch!!!"--Garo Ypremian after attempting a pass in the Super Bowl.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2006, 11:26:19 AM »
Mr Cirba informed me that my first course, Bush's, ceased to exist. No idea why or what came after (or how Mike would have ever heard of such a tiny little 9 holer hidden outside Stroudsburg, PA)

Andy,

It should have been obvious to everyone when it wasn't selected to host a major during the past decade.  ;D

I must say that this classic in Snydersville is one of the very few in northeastern PA I never got the opportunity to play.  Somehow, I think I'm poorer for that.

redanman

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2006, 11:42:49 AM »

Blue Heron Pines East (soon, I guess)

Interestingly the jury may still be out on htis one.  BHP-E is "closed" for the winter season (I called there the other day to go play on one of our 55* winter days).  Rather curious for a course to soon become "NLE", I must say considering that the AC area only loses about 2-3 weeks for earty golfers during most winters.

Personally, I think the parties that built BHP-E and then proffered it for the site of a USGA APL site only to announce its demise for the building of over 55 housing in an area with plenty of open land - right next to a jetport - blew it somewhere along the line.  

Big time.

But, then again I've posted that before and can be quoted by more than a handful of players on here as having expounded on this topic in person.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2006, 11:45:09 AM »
Rich,
I was actually thinking of doing that, even went so far as to Google (not Yahoo) "Telly Savalas Speedo."

PThomas

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2006, 11:48:19 AM »
when I played BHP in the fall there was little if anything if the shop, and one of my partners got a free pair of golf shoes from the lost and found: he asked about borrowing a pair and they said don't bother returning them

sure sounds like they were closing...
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Brad Tufts

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2006, 11:59:07 AM »
Just food for thought, according to the Myrtle Beach Golf Association, the following courses have closed recently:

Belle Terre (27)
Burning Ridge West
Calabash Golf Links
Marsh Harbour as already discussed
Ocean Harbour
Ocean Isle
Racoon Run
Robber's Roost
Sea Gull GC (to reopen in 07 with an entirely new layout possibly)
Winyah Bay GC

That's ten of the 116 listed in the area, 9%.  This doesn't include those that have been closed for a few years (Gator Hole).
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 11:59:35 AM by Brad Tufts »
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2006, 12:22:18 PM »
Brad,

Oops...forgot about Belle Terre and Robbers Roost, the latter which I have fond memories of as my very first round in Myrtle Beach somewhere back around 1980.  

Having grown up on squirrly, scruffy publinx in northeastern PA I thought I'd reached Valhalla. (the place, not the course).

BTW, Is Belle Terre done for good, or possibly just changing owners?

I'd hate to see my poster boy of Rees Jones bunkering suddenly be lost to the ages.  ;)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2006, 12:26:30 PM »
Just food for thought, according to the Myrtle Beach Golf Association, the following courses have closed recently:

Belle Terre (27)
Burning Ridge West
Calabash Golf Links
Marsh Harbour as already discussed
Ocean Harbour
Ocean Isle
Racoon Run
Robber's Roost
Sea Gull GC (to reopen in 07 with an entirely new layout possibly)
Winyah Bay GC

That's ten of the 116 listed in the area, 9%.  This doesn't include those that have been closed for a few years (Gator Hole).

I had not heard about Ocean Isle, which would bring me to 13.  That seems like a lot...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »
Rich,
I was actually thinking of doing that, even went so far as to Google (not Yahoo) "Telly Savalas Speedo."

Just another example of how cool this website is.  A guy in GA writes about a golf course closing, and a few hours later a guy in CA Googles "Telly Savalas Speedo", and it makes sense to everyone.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Craig Disher

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »
Flynn's (and Harry Collis') Manor CC in Rockville, MD :(

and a few around DC - Washingtonian, Greencastle, Allview and one other a little farther out on I270. It's name escapes me.

I hope Scott is right about Blue Heron Pines. There are so many unexceptional courses that could be nle'd without a tear.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2006, 12:34:22 PM »
From one of the Myrtle Beach vacation marketing websites;

"Designed by Rees Jones, one of America's foremost golf course architects, Belle Terre opened to rave reviews and has gained in popularity since...

...A timeless classic, Belle Terre will continue to challenge golfers for years to come."

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2006, 12:38:51 PM »
Craig

Germantown CC, Century 21, or whatever other name it had was along I270 north of Washingtonian. Fortunately Trotters Glen will soon meet the same fate as Brook Manor.

Mike

The State of Delaware saved Deerfield from developers just like Exeter Township saved Reading CC.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2006, 12:41:43 PM »
Mike

The State of Delaware saved Deerfield from developers just like Exeter Township saved Reading CC.

Rob,

That's good news.  It will be interesting to see how both are maintained.  

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2006, 12:46:57 PM »
Just in Atlanta:

Centennial
Metropolitan
Hidden Hills (soon to be)

I guess the odds are higher in a sprawling, real estate-consuming metro area.

AD

I was going to post about having played Centennial, and the weirdness (or at least feeling old to see one of my own be a NLE) but then remembered that Owner Larry Nelson didn't even invite me to grand opening, so I have never played it!  I have played Brookstone when I go to Atlanta, but never made it to Centennial.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2006, 12:50:48 PM »
Jeff,

Well, hopefully you got to play Wild Wing Avocet and Springhouse at Opryland, those other Larry Nelson designs.  ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back