News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Evan_Green

Re:NLE's that you have played?
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2006, 10:08:26 AM »
Tom

How about Olympic Ocean Weiskopf versus Olympic Ocean before?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2006, 10:15:35 AM »
Evan - heck yeah, that counts too - pretty completely different now.  But man if we go down the Olympic Club Ocean road, there are so many different iterations that have occurred over the years, that's a LOT of NLEs!

In any case I sure don't make the rules here - these are just my opinions.

;D

Evan_Green

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2006, 10:17:43 AM »
I figured the same way Tom

I keep a list of the courses Ive played and I had those 2 under NLE and list the new version seperately.

But its hard to know where to draw the line!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 10:18:57 AM by Evan_Green »

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2006, 10:34:09 AM »
Donald Ross's NLE Ponce de Leon Golf Course in St. Augustine, Florida - closed a couple of years ago.  A beautiful layout along the Intracoastal Waterway marshes.  It was built in 1916 and if I am not mistaken it may have been Ross's first in Florida.

Also, Baymeadows Golf Course (D. Muirhead/G. Sarazen) in Jacksonville, FL contentiously closed a year or so ago for development (approval of which was vetoed by the Mayor).  It is a residential development - now the rear yards of homes and condos face onto a completely unkempt landscape.  Not a great course - but I think it may have once hosted the Greater Jacksonville Open prior to it becoming the The Players Championship
There are numerous NLE in this area (NE Florida) which I haven't played - but if you look closely some remnants remain in their locations.  Fort George GC (Donald Ross - north of Jacksonville, FL), Beauclerc Country Club (the old Clubhouse still stands - now home of the Jewish Community Center), and the University Golf Club (now part park/part 9-hole recently opened golf course).

TEPaul

« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2006, 11:44:48 AM »
"There are numerous NLE in this area (NE Florida) which I haven't played - but if you look closely some remnants remain in their locations.  Fort George GC (Donald Ross - north of Jacksonville, FL),"

Steve:

Have you ever actually tried to walk any of the old holes of Ross's Fort George G.C? I have and my biggest concern was snakes.  ;)

The interesting thing about that old course is the old and truly beautiful clubhouse was just really well restored. I don't know what the plans for it are since there certainly isn't much around (actually Fort George Island is downright spooky ;) ) but the course sure is never coming back. The course had a few different names than just the Fort George club and the name of the clubhouse escapes me right now (something that sounds like the Bohemian Club but that's not it). One thing about that old club is back in the old days it had some members who were some of the richest and most powerful people in the nation.

We also stopped in to see the old Ross Ponce de Leon course with a broker. That was a few years ago and they were still trying to save it. My mother and father used to live in St Augustine just after the end of the war and Ponce de Leon was one of their courses. It's so sad to see the old course going to seed and to know that in a while it'll be houses or whatever and just gone for good.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 11:49:15 AM by TEPaul »

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2006, 11:59:34 AM »
Tom,

I've walked around up at Fort George Island a bit, yes - but I haven't ventured too far off the beaten path.  It is it a very wild natural landscape, but the golf corridors are clear both on the ground and in looking at aerials.  I've heard great things about it from those who played there - but it was already NLE prior to when I moved to this area.

The Ponce is a great shame - it is a wonderful site and could very well have been truly restored and incorporated into a viable development scenario.  Seeing it grown over bothers me every time I pass by.  There was easily a way, but the will wasn't there for those who purchased the land...

ForkaB

« Reply #106 on: February 08, 2006, 12:15:27 PM »
The course had a few different names than just the Fort George club and the name of the clubhouse escapes me right now (something that sounds like the Bohemian Club but that's not it). One thing about that old club is back in the old days it had some members who were some of the richest and most powerful people in the nation.

Tom

You're probably thinking of the Ribault Club.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #107 on: February 08, 2006, 01:50:52 PM »
Interesting that Google Earth shows both the Fort George Island Club and the Ponce in green outline when you tell it to show golf courses......

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Grenelefe Resort?  I golf-vacationed there two or three years in a row back in 98-00, and I know that the resort was either sold (to someone who was going to totally redo it) or closed.  The service and courses were starting to go downhill when we were last there.  The West course at point point had Tour Q School (maybe the Senior Tour?) and was decent, with some good elevation change for Florida.  The South course was ok (with some fun sandy waste areas near the end), and the East course looked like the jungle was starting to take over.  

What is happening there now?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #108 on: February 08, 2006, 03:38:06 PM »
Ponce is a fairly new NLE (maybe a year and a half).  I was surprised to see Fort George still on Google Earth - I understand it has been closed for many years.

TEPaul

« Reply #109 on: February 08, 2006, 04:12:17 PM »
Rich:

That's the one. Bohemian--Ribault, what's the diff? They both sound the same to me. ;)

If you ask me a course or club like Ribault not being able to sustain itself as it didn't was probably a result of Flager competing with himself a few times too many. There's only so many watering spots with golf courses one could create up and down the Florida East Coast back then without creating a glut in supply against demand. Because of his opening it up with the continued construction of the Florida East Coast rail-line and/or the waterway I guess Flager own a swath of the entire Florida East Coast at one time or another.

Jerry Lemons

« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2006, 04:31:21 PM »
We lost a great D. Ross course here in Nashville in 86'- Richland CC Held a US Womens open in 80 I think.
Jack N. was given a tough site to replace her. Barkey can walk her now. I think the old members have regretted it since.
Times flys and your the pilot !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back