News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Newport CC or CC of Fairfield ?
« on: January 12, 2006, 08:03:11 PM »
Both of these courses have beautiful  New England settings.
Tillinghast made a few changes at CCF and majoradjustments at Newport CC. There are several fine holes  at CCF, especially 6,8,,9,18. but overall  I slightly prefer Newport for two reasons the superb  strategic bunkering and remarkable par threes such as  8,13, and 14. Id like to hear what others think. if possible base your comparison  on the arch. attributes of the course itself and not on the scenic ambiance.Thanks

Donnie Beck

Re:Newport CC or CC of Fairfield ?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 09:53:51 PM »
Mark,

I love them both but if I had to chose I would take Newport... Ron Forse has done an outstanding job with the restoration work and Newport has some of best green complexes I have seen anywhere. I love those greens I think they are near perfection, great movement with lot of subtleties. Lower the height of cut on the fairways and it doesn’t get much better anywhere. It is in my list of top 10 favorites. CC of Fairfield is a must see as well. It is one of the few courses I have seen recently that really blew me away.. I could play there everyday of my life and have very few complaints

JNC Lyon

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 10:16:34 PM »
Haven't played either, but I must say the final between Tiger Woods and Buddy Marucci.  Tiger just powered it down there, and he hit close.  Marucci just slapped it around, but he made EVERYTHING to keep it close, and he came up with a few clutch shots near the end.  Only Tiger's shot on the final hole clinched it.  It seemed like the golf course allowed for both styles of play to perform well, with firm conditions, a good variety of short and long threes and fours.  I remember the ninth hole was halved with scrambling pars, and the eleventh was halved with easy birdies.  It just looked really fun.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 05:18:07 AM »
Mark,

I've always loved Newport, especially when the wind blows.
It's an interesting, fun, challenging golf course when conditions are right.

I think the 5th at Newport is one of the most brilliant, strategic holes in all of golf.

It should be studied on this site.

I haven't played CCF and FI, but both are high up on my summer of 2006 list.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 05:48:43 AM »

I think the 5th at Newport is one of the most brilliant, strategic holes in all of golf.

Better than 18 @ National?  Come on.  :)

Holes 4 (par 3 on right next to road and ocean, 5 at bottom and 6

Mark,

I can only comment on CC of Fairfield from seeing it from the beach there in front of the club, and I will be shocked if I do not love it someday.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:52:04 AM by Mike Sweeney »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 06:10:20 AM »
Mike Sweeney,

Thanks for posting the aerial of # 5.

Unfortunately, the aerial doesn't capture the elevations and contouring that conspire, with the bunkering and right to left slope of the green, to make this ONE of the most brilliant, strategic holes in all of golf.

I did say ONE of, not THE.

# 18 at NGLA remains a favorite.
But, as par 4's go, # 5 at Newport is in elite company.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 06:11:21 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

mark chalfant

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 10:22:28 AM »
Patrick, I agree about Newports fifth, wonderful ground features and angles due to brilliant bunkering .the 385 yd 6th is wonderful also, ti has agreat green complex  with some hazardous pits

David Panzarasa

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 10:26:12 AM »
Having played both I would say Fairfield 8 out of 10 times. Newport is nice, but just not my type of course. Fairfield is a special course in which I love going to play. It is a short course but just has everything in shot values and I really use every club in my bag. Fun times there.
 This might sound strange as well, but being in Newport usually means I am there with the lady or there for some event, and focusing on golf and wanting to be 100% into the golfing experience is just not there.  

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 01:18:31 PM »
Mike,
   Isn't Newport where you did some caddying in your youth? On the aerial I noticed the bunkering had some contrast inside, is that just wet sand or are there some islands of grass in the bunkers.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 01:24:35 PM »
Mike,
   Isn't Newport where you did some caddying in your youth? On the aerial I noticed the bunkering had some contrast inside, is that just wet sand or are there some islands of grass in the bunkers.

Ed,

That was the summer after graduating from BC, so I was drinking alot of beer back then to try and remember.  ;) However, yes there are grass islands at Newport, but I think that aerial also shows wet sand. I was there two years ago, and it was like the place never changed, but they did fix the drainage on the back 9. I spoke to an assistant pro from Massachusetts down in Florida over the holidays and he said he heard they were putting in a sprinkler system for the Women's Open and upgradining the clubhouse. I really hope it does not change the place.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 01:25:14 PM by Mike Sweeney »

mark chalfant

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 06:42:31 PM »
David Panzarasa: thanks for your reply.What are some holes at CCF that stand out for you? Im especially interested in the
back nine holes there that you prefer.

Bill Schulz: it would be great to hear your thoughts about these two..... thanks

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back