News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Bend it at Huntingdon Valley, Dornoch and elsewhere
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 03:15:34 PM »
"I think that tournament would be a good study about this topic for a couple of reasons; first, the varied conditions you mention (remember how fast it was Sunday afternoon just prior to the rain?),"

Sully:

I certainly do. I played it on that Sunday and it was precisely what I'd call the "Ideal Maintenance Meld" in every aspect. It's just a real shame that storm in the first round wiped that playability out but I was pretty amazed it played pretty firm by Wednesday. If the course had played like it was on Sunday throughout the tournament there's no way the scores would've been as low as they were.

It's really ironic that the year before Fox Chapel was just as firm in the Sunday practice round as HVGC was in practice on Sunday and the rains totally wiped it all out for the Pa Amateur at Fox Chapel. It's a real credit to Dave Carson at Fox Chapel that we got the tournament in at all.

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 03:22:43 PM »
I don't know what you guys are talking about--my ball speed has been clocked as high as 109 mph. That's ball speed now, not swing speed, but my swing speed is consistently around C+ which as most know can get you through school just fine.  ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 04:07:42 PM »
Linc's inteview (which is very good, thanks Wayne) refers to A, B, and C nines. golfcourse.com refers to Centennial, Flynn, and Toomey. What is the correspondence?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

wsmorrison

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2006, 04:21:57 PM »
Toomey is A nine, Flynn is B nine and Centennial is the C nine.  They were meant to be progressively more difficult.  In fact, the C nine may have been the most difficult nine in the district.  Even with the compromises when resurrected (for the club's centennial) after 50 or so years  of neglect, it remains one of the most difficult nines around.

wsmorrison

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2006, 04:23:37 PM »
Tom, your swing speed on your practice swings is not much less than Tiger Woods but your actual swing speed is more like Mrs. Woods  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2006, 04:25:56 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back