News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

NLE's that you have played?
« on: January 12, 2006, 10:01:55 PM »
Word now in Atlanta is that Lanier CC (formerly Canongate-on-Lanier) will be sold for real estate sometime in late '06 or early '07.  It is an excellent and demanding Joe Lee design that has hosted a number of events over the years, and it'll be missed.  I was a member of the Canongate clubs back in the 80's, and played a lot of golf at Lanier.

With the closing of Canterbury and Hidden Hills, following a couple of years after Jeff Brauer's Centennial, along with some Myrtle Beach courses, I started counting up the NLE's (or soon to be NLE's) that I have played.  I think I'm up to 10 (or 11), and wondered how many others might be able to count from their experience.

My list:
Canterbury (Atlanta)
Carper's Valley (Winchester, VA)
Centennial (Atlanta)
Lanier (Atlanta)
Bay Tree (3 courses, M.B., 2 closing this year)
Calabash (M.B.)
Ocean Harbour (M.B.)
Marsh Harbor (M.B., not certain about this one, but it's been closed several years now)
Eastport (M.B.)

I'll add Finley G.C. at UNC; the old course wasn't rebuilt by Fazio.  He completely rerouted it, using most of the same site, but it is a totally different course now.

That's all I can think of right now; maybe more will come to mind.  This doesn't include "Mike Rubish's Golf City", a par 3 in Durham, NC where I learned to play, now covered by a Toys-R-Us, among other things.  It's not a World's Top 100 list, but I've never met a golf course I didn't like, and I liked all of these.

List yours?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 08:32:59 AM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Andy Doyle

Re:NLE's that you have played?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 10:24:13 PM »
Just in Atlanta:

Centennial
Metropolitan
Hidden Hills (soon to be)

I guess the odds are higher in a sprawling, real estate-consuming metro area.

AD

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 10:24:44 PM »
Thorngate, Northbrook Illinois. The site of Jack's 367 yard drive with his three wood in the early sixties.

The Tropicana, The Dunes- Didn't both of those use to host the pros?

If it's true about Marsh Harbor, Marsh Harbor. Is Oyster Bay still around?

How about the shortest life of a course? There was a nine holer in downtown Chicago, I never played and since its gone never will. It must've been less than ten years old. I'm sure shivas will now more

Mike Boehm

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 10:32:20 PM »
If it's true about Marsh Harbor, Marsh Harbor. Is Oyster Bay still around?

It is true that Marsh Harbour is closed, and from what I have heard, there are no intentions of re-opening it.

Oyster Bay is still operating.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 10:35:15 PM »
I was fortunate to have played The Links Golf Club in NY before it was closed, with P.B. Dye ... one of my most memorable rounds.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 10:42:15 PM »
Not many-

Malvern GC
Valley Forge GC (just closed)

Upper Perk
Locust Valley, both soon to be NLE
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 09:12:06 AM by Craig_Rokke »

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 11:13:57 PM »

Only 1 that I know of.... Desert Inn.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2006, 11:17:48 PM »
Tom,

You have one photo in your book, do you have any more?

I've played a few mentioned, but most don't strike me as crushing losses.

The Toronto area course I got to play was called Box Grove and was quite legendary for its privacy. It was later sold to IBM who ran the club for a number of years (this is when I played the 18 regularly for $7. as a junior guest). The course went down to nine and may still operate as nine now, but I'm not sure anymore. It was a loss, I really enjoyed the course with the river run of 6 to 14 being quite spectacular.

I have played a couple of Thompsons before really bad renovations destroyed all that was Thompson. I'm now trying to put a couple of those back together.

Chris Parker

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2006, 11:17:59 PM »
Probably nobody will have heard of these courses, but I've played two NLEs.

Talbot Park GC in St. Thomas, ON.  The course dated from about 1899, I believe, and was formerly the home of the St. Thomas G&CC, before they moved to their present location at the Stanley Thompson-designed course in nearby Union, ON in the early 1930s.   It was a 9-hole course surrounded on three sides by railroad tracks.  It featured well-bunkered greens and huge, majestic trees.  It closed in the late 90's and is now a Wal-Mart.

Lindsay G&CC in Lindsay, ON.  This course also dated from the turn of the century.  It closed 3 or 4 years ago, when the Lindsay G&CC moved to a new 18-hole course designed by Graham Cooke.  It was also a 9-holer with some neat old-style bunkering.  It had some pretty bad holes, but also a few great ones, including a short, blind par-3 over a pond to a hilltop greensite.  It is now a grocery store, an Office Depot, and a housing development.

Hopefully I won't have a chance to play any more NLEs.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 11:26:54 PM by Chris Parker »
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2006, 11:30:30 PM »
I think my total is only one, the nine-hole Charleswood G.C., formerly Alcrest G.C. I'm unclear as to the architectural lineage of the golf course, but Stanley Thompson has been linked to it, but the extend remains unclear. A few really good greens, but overall a pretty basic design.

TK

Mark Leo

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2006, 11:32:11 PM »
As Craig said, the Desert Inn; and the irony is, the new Wynn CC which sits on top of it may also be a "soon to be NLE".........

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2006, 12:12:06 AM »
That I can think of:

-Font Hill, exec. near Ellicot City, MD
-Gator Hole (N. Myrtle Beach)
-Ocean Harbour (MB area)
-Sing Sing (or something other name, par 3 course was in Horseheads, NY on Sing Sing Rd.)
-Paint Branch (9 of the original 18, College Park, MD)
-Blue Heron Pines (East), Egg Harbor Township, NJ, though the members supposedly have a stop on the demolition of the course due to some wording  in their home contract about the development always being 36 holes.

soon to be NLE:

Bay Tree (2 of the 3)

10 years ago, I was on my way to play Eagle Crest south of Raleigh, NC, I got a flat a mile from the course, changed it, and never got to play.  It NLE.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 02:23:24 AM »
Riviera CC......

Well at least its on its way to being non-existing or a shell of its former self, with the work a certain modern architect is doing there. The more and more I think of him screwing it up, the more and more I would love to get a good kick at his balls.....Just one good Garo Yapremeum-like kick.

Other LA area courses:

The Big Tee--Buena Park. (Bill Johnson) (an institution in these parts--they've sold about 20 houses on the lot now going for about a million a piece.)

Imperial GC--Brea (Harry & David Rainville) (houses and houses and houses and houses everywhere)

Birch Hills--Brea (Harry & David Rainville) (shopping center got about 6 holes of this executive course directly across the street from where Imperial was. Award winning golf architect Cal Olson replaced those six with six stink bombs. So bad that I can smell them right now, five miles away from here.)

Lost Canyons-Shadow Course (Perry Dye) (Soon to be NLE, this will be Perry's 2nd in the LA area to be destroyed in the interests of better taste. I would assume that as soon as Donald figures out that Ocean Trails is a complete and utter failure, that will be #3 for Perry)

Cypress Golf Course--(Perry Dye) (Some would have gladly paid to have this Doak "0" removed from the face of the planet. It was pretty bad. No, make that REALLY bad.)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 02:24:47 AM by Thomas Naccarato »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 05:03:03 AM »
Pound Ridge GC (NY) - Public 9 hole course that for years was run by a grouchy old guy who knew he was going to sell the property. The perfect place for kids that did not allow kids.  ???

The original Stone Harbor GC (NJ) also called The Jersey Devil. While the new course takes a few shots around here, it is much much better than the old.

The previously mentioned Valley Forge GC (PA).

Soon to be NLE - Blue Heron Pines - Smyers, a very good course.

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 07:29:34 AM »
Tommy N.-

A Garo kick is certainly more effective than a Garo pass!!
(Did you know Garo belongs to Inniscrone?)

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2006, 07:45:59 AM »
Upper Perkiomen also known as "Upper Perk" in Pennsburg, PA will soon be bulldozed for houses. A 1.5 on the Doak Scale.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bill Gayne

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2006, 08:16:33 AM »
Centenial, the old Standard Club Course in Atlanta, and Sea Island Seaside before the Fazio changes and reconfigurations.

Robert Kimball

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 08:32:10 AM »
I was fortunate to have played The Links Golf Club in NY before it was closed, with P.B. Dye ... one of my most memorable rounds.

Tom, I enjoyed your pictures in George's book. I was thinking about The Links Club the other day. I just find it hard to believe that the members would let such a seemingly good club go to ruin. Apparently they were down to about 13 members.

I know that Tom Paul has some stories, as he commented on The Links in another thread awhile back.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2006, 09:01:14 AM »
Whoops, Tommy reminded me of Lost Canyons (Shadow) as a soon to be NLE.  Add that one to my list above.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2006, 09:03:14 AM »
Lorne Rubenstein's told me he use to play Stanley Thompson's old St. Andrews golf course ( opened for play in 1927), on upper Yonge Street in Toronto. St. Andrews might be the most intriguing NLE in Canada.

Reportedly, Thompson designed the course "in association with an eminent Scottish architect"... with "a number of the holes being built to correspond as nearly as possible with the world-famous links... at St. Andrews, Scotland."

Lorne was a kid when the place closed. So, unfortunately, his memories of St. Andrews are faded.

Ian: have you run into anyone with memories of old St. Andrews, Toronto? Curious...  
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 09:04:51 AM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

mike_malone

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2006, 09:18:27 AM »
 Scott,
    Our beloved Louviers /Deerfield looks to be heading toward NLE
AKA Mayday

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2006, 09:22:32 AM »

I will happily add the Shadow Course at Lost Canyons to my list.   ;D

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2006, 09:26:32 AM »
I drive by Valley Forge on the way to work and noticed yesterday on a day near 60 degrees that no one was out there and no flags were on the greens.   :'(

Have the sold the property for development?

Please don't tell me that my 1 hour and 15 minute commute will now become 1 hour 45 minutes due to a massive increase in the congestion around that area??

Other NLE's

Marsh Harbour - SC
Malvern - PA
Montgomeryville - PA (now reconsituted as Ron Prichard's Pinecrest)
Blue Heron Pines East (soon, I guess)
Eagle Lodge - PA (now reconstituted as Warren Henderson/Gary Player's ACE Club)
Hidden Springs CC - PA - (now reconstituted as Arnold Palmer/Ed Seay's Commonwealth CC)
Yorktowne GC - PA - (now reconstituted as James Ganley's Hawk Lake GC)

also saddened to hear that Deerfield looks to be going the way of the dinosaur.  I had a career round there one day.

mike_malone

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2006, 09:30:37 AM »
 Eagle Lodge --Now there's a course that needed to be blown up---NOT!
AKA Mayday

Brad Tufts

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2006, 09:31:05 AM »
Marsh Harbour..don't remember it much, though their "showcase" hole was that weird two-island par 5.

Valley Forge....didn't know this was closed now, played it once in 4/1996.

And what is the deal with Grenelefe?  My dad and I had a long weekend there for a few years running, the golf was solid if not spectacular, but the last year we were there (perhaps 00 or 01) the service and golf were already going downhill, causing us to play Diamondback and Southern Dunes instead of multiple rounds at Grene.  I've seen conflicting reports over what they are doing with the place, everything from demolishing everything and starting over to a padlock being on the front and a skeleton crew keeping the wilderness from taking control.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back