News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ted janeczek

Re: Dropshot vs. Uphill Par 3
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2002, 12:29:46 PM »
don't forget #8 at lancaster cc in the uphill category. (another fine flynn effort). somehow walking away with a 4 there yields a sense of relief.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

D. Kilfara

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2002, 04:11:59 PM »
Noel, I was actually thinking about the uphill par 3s at The Addington before you mentioned it. I think the typical reaction against the first hole, which most people don't like, comes only because it's the first hole (and few people like playing an uphill par-3 to start their round, I guess). It's a fine hole otherwise. And then you get the uphill 3rd almost immediately thereafter, and it's a fine hole.

Everyone else - I violently disagree with the premise that uphill par 3s are somehow intrinsically more worthy than downhill par 3s. I agree that "overuse and duplication of the pro forma dropshot par-3" (to quote Matt) is a bad thing. But the dropshot par-3 in and of itself is a wonderful concept - when done well, how many of you would rather play a good uphill par-3 to a good dropshot? If you answer yes, I'd suggest that you're in the distinct minority of the global golfing population.

Cheers,
Darren

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2002, 05:12:40 PM »
Uphill, downhill, volcano, chasm, level, - I enjoy them all. I wonder though, if there was a "100 Best Par 3's" list how many would fall within each category and who's #1??
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Brad Swanson

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2002, 06:50:08 PM »
I'm so sad, I'm in the "minority of the global golfing population". :'(  I'm not in the majority that likes downhill dropshot par 3s (the same majority that also likes to see how fast they can get their golf cart going down the hill from the tee to the green of said downhill dropshot par 3).  Wait a minute, I guess its not so bad.  ;)

Brad Swanson

Matthew Mollica

Re: Dropshot vs. Uphill Par 3 New
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2002, 08:18:23 PM »
Hello one and all.

My first posting on the forum, after lurking in the wings for a while, following discussions, and seeing how it all works…

There have been comments on the 3rd at Pasatiempo as a great uphill par 3 and I agree. The course also boasts a reasonable downhill par 3 (8th), thereby having one of each category – up- and down-hill.

Peter Thompson’s new Ocean course at The National, Cape Schanck, Mornington Peninsula, Australia also boasts an uphill hole, and a downhill hole, among its collection of one-shot holes. The 11th is said to be a Redan-esque par 3 of approx 170 yards, which also boasts an appreciable drop from tee to green. The uphill 9th is significantly longer, and has a tee-box significantly lower than the putting surface. It plays to a big green, which is interestingly devoid of any great opening at the front of the green complex, for the run-up type shot. Into a 30mph prevailing headwind, carding a three is like finding a $100 note on the course...

For those who don’t recall enjoyable uphill one-shot holes, PLEASE come to Melbourne’s sandbelt. There are at least a dozen uphill par three’s of various length, which are a sheer joy to play. Metropolitan’s #2, Royal Melbourne West’s #7, Royal Melbourne East’s #4, Yarra Yarra’s #11, Kingston Heath’s #15, Victoria’s #14, Yarra Yarra’s #15, Huntingdale’s #3, and many others, are ALL truly wonderful holes. They possess varying green complexes, and all differ in how much of the putting surface they conceal from view. Many also see the golfer on the tee, positioned in such a way that they are shielded from the winds that are about to affect their ball in flight.

For the favorite dropshots – it’s hard to go past The Postage Stamp at Troon, as well as the two par three’s on the front side at Augusta National (#4 and $6), as well as Pebble Beach #7 (even if just for scenery, sorry).

Matthew Mollica
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:55:28 PM by Matthew Mollica »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

D. Kilfara

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2002, 04:33:00 AM »
Brad, just wondering...do you also prefer uphill approach shots at par 4s and par 5s to downhill approach shots?

Brad Swanson

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2002, 06:47:54 AM »
Darren,
   Actually, I don't prefer one over the other, I just am tired of the cliche dropshot par 3.  I can give many instances of downhill par 3s that I like.  I prefer a hole that places the premium on strategic options, not asthetics and not watching my ball hang in the air.  My newfound appreciation for the ground game may have some influence in this bi*s.  What really gets me going is playing a course where the architect sacrificed the quality of the routing just for the express purpose of including the obligatory dropshot par 3.  I played several relatively new courses this year that did this, to the detriment of the holes around them.

Cheers,
Brad Swanson    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

NAF

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2002, 02:59:42 PM »
Darren,

My favorite par 3 at the Addington is the 17th..A perfect match play hole if you are tied at the end of a great par 5 (16).   The shot over the ravine is a thrill..A hooked shot is death and so is long!  Very demanding hole.  

Paul_Turner

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2002, 03:11:08 PM »
NAF

You are nuts!  Nobody could chose the 17th over the 13th and be sane  ;D  Oh well, vive la difference!

Order of Par 3s at Addington in preference:  13,7,3,17,11,1

Best course in the world with 6 par 3s?  I can't think of another one as fine, although Berkshire Red is close.

D. Kilfara

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2002, 03:20:17 PM »
Now, THAT is an interesting exercise...ranking the par 3s at the Addington. This would be my order:

13, 7, 17, 3, 1, 11

And when I first tried to put these in order, I had 11 in third position. Vive la difference, indeed. (The 17th is a very fine hole, and the contours around it are truly subtle - there's about an acre of open area to the right of the green, but I wouldn't suggest that you try to miss it there - but the 13th is one of the best par 3s in the world...)

Noel, having just been to Australia...just how good would the Addington be, do you think, if it was in the Sand Belt and had a similar maintenance meld? Wow...I'm getting goose-pimples just thinking about it! :)

Cheers,
Darren

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back