News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

World Atlas of GOLF
« on: January 04, 2006, 09:34:10 AM »
I have just picked the new edition up today because Mark wouldn't send me a freebie.  The intro by Mark (including all preliminary chapters) combined with photos and course drawings is worth the price.  I haven't even read the meat yet.  

Well done Mark!

By the way, Waterstone's is flogging them half price at the moment.  

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 09:37:28 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matt MacIver

Re:World Atlas of GOLF
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 04:19:12 PM »
Just checked on Waterstones, they list a WAG May '01 5th Edition....is this the one you're talking about?  Also, the lowest price is 2.54 pounds...I'm not British but this seems cheap, so what am I missing?  

Incidently checked on Amazon and couldn't find this edition at all.....?  Thanks.  

Brian Phillips

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 05:30:56 PM »
Matt,

The edition you are looking for is the 2005 one which I think is the 7th.

No problems finding it on Amazon.

Brian
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 05:31:11 PM by Brian Phillips »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 05:32:42 PM »
I have to say that I haven't yet seen the current edition, even in proof form, even thought my American friends have it in their hands. I'm somewhat worried as I've just had an e-mail from someone at Hamlyn pointing out that the course description and card of the course do not agree at Banff Springs.   We all know that the holes are now played in a different order and  that was all pointed out in my editorial material, and, more pertinently, in Jeff Mingay's revision of the text. I'm on the pint of being pretty pissed off.  

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 05:35:18 PM »
Excellent alliteration there, Mark!

Looking forward to getting a copy.  Maybe I'll wait until next fall and buy one in the UK so Mark can autograph it.  8)

Good shot, Sean!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 10:15:42 PM »
Mark,

As you know, I received my copy a few weeks ago. Overall, it's very, very well done... an excellent update and revision to this classic text thanks to the efforts of many, but most notably, Mr. Rowlinson.

I'd forgotten to look at Banff in detail... so I just pulled the book out. Unfortunately, the news you've received is accurate. The new Banff scorecard, revised text match, and sidebar on the Devil's Cauldron hole have been properly altered, and match. But the numbering of holes on the original map wasn't changed, so it doesn't.

P.S. Yes, Sean... a new clubhouse, situated between the original 5th and 14th holes, was built when they added a third nine at Banff in 1989. This addition resulted in the resequencing of holes on the original course, which now begins with Thompson's 5th.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 10:21:34 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Gene Greco

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:06:22 AM »
Are the newer courses listed? (Pac Dunes, Barnbougle, Sand Hills, Old Head, etc)
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Matt MacIver

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 10:09:03 AM »
I think Sand Hills is discussed in the new edition.  

I'm pretty clueless but I don't see this newest edition on AMZN....if someone could post a link to somewhere selling this book that would be great, tx.

Dave Maberry

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 03:22:42 PM »
Matt,
Try going to Amazon, then select "Books", then search "World Atlas of Golf". It should be first hit.
Product Details:
Hardcover: 312 pages
Publisher: Hamlyn; 5th edition (February 28, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN: 0600613755
Amazon.com Sales Rank:
Today: #179,010 in Books
Yesterday: #734,610 in Books

Dave

JNC Lyon

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 04:11:50 PM »
What are the add-ins/take-outs in the new edition, as compared to the 1999 edition (the latest edition I have)?  I might have to pick up a copy at some point.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Steve Curry

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »
Sean,

Funny you should bring this up.  I just started reading my copy the other day and  :D Kudos to Mark from me as well.  Looking forward to it.

Steve

Matt MacIver

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 04:59:28 PM »
Dave - thanks, guess I was getting confused by the Hamlyn / 5th Edition...will order it now!  Thanks again.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back