News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:#16 at Tobacco Road
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2005, 05:05:01 PM »
AGC - well perhaps your brother and my Broncos stretched too far recently.

;D

But it is fun to see real-life examples.  I do need to see TR.  Some day.

TH

Brian Marion

« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2005, 08:00:49 PM »
16 is a tough fairway to hit but, being a short par four, it should be. I've been everywhere on that hole, left in the junk, long and in the junk, dead center of fairway. The key is to pick your club and know your distance, then trust it. Hard to do when the penalty for missing is so high. The spector of a blow up can cause you to freeze. The approach is no gimme either, long is dead and if you spin the ball too much, off the front you come.

Brendan Dolan

« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2005, 11:36:01 PM »
I have been following this thread for a while, and I finally had to look up the Tobacco Road website.  So here is a picture of the green site and the yardage book.   I really like how the green sits between the two dunes, but the tee shot seems one dimensional.  I think you would be crazy to go for the green off the tee.  Just my opinion from the look of hole from the yardage book.    

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2005, 04:54:54 AM »
Here is a the fairway which narrows through the dune on #16.  Surely Mike Strantz is having a laugh.  This is without doubt the narrowest fairway I have seen.  I reckon this "fairway" is for vehicle/ground crew/walking path access.  Still, it is a great idea to disguise a road as a fairway.

I would surely love to play other Strantz courses.  

ps I can't remember who McDuffied their tee shot short of the dune.  Will anybody fess up?

Ciao

Sean
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 05:01:07 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brent Hutto

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2005, 07:31:16 AM »

Last I heard, there was some chance of Dixie Cup III being a Strantz centered event.

ps I can't remember who McDuffied their tee shot short of the dune.  Will anybody fess up?

Errr, ummm, that would be me.

Sean_A

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2005, 07:36:25 AM »
Brent

You may have McDuffied your tee shot on 16, but the photographic evidence is not of you.  

Ciao

Sean
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jfaspen

« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2005, 10:04:44 AM »

Last I heard, there was some chance of Dixie Cup III being a Strantz centered event.

Errr, ummm, that would be me.

Hrmm.. Caledonia/True Blue?

That'd be nice, affordable if done at the right time of the year.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2005, 10:09:58 AM »
One idea that was floated during dinner (and wine) at Pine Needles was a weekend at Pawley's Island playing Caledonia and True Blue for the main event with the possibility of a side trip being arranged to Bull Bay, although that's quite a ride from Pawley's.

I'd be in favor of that sort of arrangement. Then again I would not at all object to returning to Cuscowilla.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2005, 10:35:40 AM »
Brent

What is the windshield time between Raleigh and Pawley's Island?  

Ciao

Sean

Brent Hutto

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2005, 11:12:46 AM »
I've never done anything quite like that route, Sean. Let's see, from Raleigh down to Florence, SC is about 120-odd miles on I-95 so call it a solid 2 hours.

Our route from Myrtle Beach from Columbia is a 2:40-ish trip with an hour of that being to Florence. So call it 3-1/2 hours to Myrtle Beach then another 20-25 minutes down to Pawley's.

I'd say darned near 4 hours from leaving Raleigh to arriving at True Blue/Caledonia. Mostly Interstate and other four-lane divided roads so if you drive 80+ instead of 70 you can knock about a half-hour off the time with no traffic slowdowns.

George Pazin

« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2005, 11:15:01 AM »
Brendan -

I don't think anyone would try for the green, other than if they were screwing around. The one crucial element that is missing from that graphic is that it is significantly uphill. Short of one of those long drive gorillas who carry the ball 350+, no one is driving that green from one of the back 2 tees, at least.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2005, 11:33:24 AM »
Brent

Man, its a big country you got there.  Are there other attractions on Pawley's Island other than golf?

Ciao

Sean

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2005, 03:06:14 PM »
Brent

You may have McDuffied your tee shot on 16, but the photographic evidence is not of you.  

Ciao

Sean

Hey Cian, wasn't I the offending party?  I hit a couple of steller tee shots on that hole that weekend...short of the dune with the hybrid, and then into the right trees.  I think I somehow managed 5 each time.  I thought about tomahawking my hybrid and turning the shaft into a whiskey ****, but decided against it.  ;)  Just put up the damn pic you instigator!  ;D

The hole is really awkward, moreso because of the layup distance.  I can't fully hit a 3 wood, yet a long iron/hybrid must be hit well to clear the first dune.  The second shot is no picnic either!  Its never been a favorite of mine...

AGC - Hope you enjoyed your stay in NC!  I think that nearly everybody disagreed with me on that thread I started about TR being too easy for the good player.  Most thought made the course better.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2005, 03:30:21 PM »
Everybody interested in some Pawleys Island get-together--
   If the timing is right, I'll try to see if a few of us can play Pawleys Plantation (I'm a member).  Also, as members/homeowners I believe my family gets a discount when booking accomadations.

Stay tuned.

Also, Bulls Bay is about 50 minutes south of Pawleys.  There isn't a whole lot else in PI, but there are some excellent restaurants, such as Louis's, Frank's, Austin's, and others.  Only 30 or so minutes north of PI is Myrtle Beach, where there is plenty to do.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 03:36:46 PM by Tim Gavrich »
Senior Writer, GolfPass

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2005, 04:07:25 PM »
Pete,
I have had a great time in NC--no trip to Finley this time, though.  Played at Croasdaile on Monday, which is a much, much improved course after an extensive renovation by John Lafoy several years ago, the TR on Tuesday, finishing up at Hillandale today (for old times sake.)  Also went to the Dean Dome for hoops last night, which is always a blast.

As to TR, I'm still rethinking whether or not it is too easy for the better player.  Though you know I am not that player, I have had only good rounds there.  In fact, on this trip, it was the best score I shot, which follows your hypothesis.  What I don't doubt now is that the Road IS too difficult for high handicappers.  For now, I prefer to think that my success there is because I respond to the challenge! ::)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 04:08:38 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2005, 06:26:51 PM »
Pete What Are Bits Buczkowski aka PWARB

I think you are right about the McDuffy.  I didn't play the hole like a scholar either.  7 wood out to the right.  A low slasher from the hay to the high side of the green and par saving 10 footer.  The hole ain't that hard though.  

Ciao

Sean

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back