News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Shore Gate Golf Club
« on: June 18, 2002, 07:41:23 PM »
I am going to be playing Galloway National and Hidden Creek and I have heard some interesting comments about Shore Gate which is in that area.  Has anyone played it or know anything about it, is it worth staying an extra day to play? ???
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Dave_Miller

Re: Shore Gate Golf Club
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2002, 07:51:04 PM »
Jerry:
Do not know Shore Gate but as I always say "I never met a golf course I didn't like".
Of course it is worth staying an extra day as long as the rent will be paid and food will still be on the table. Heck you could probably go one day without eating.

Cheers,
Dave Miller

GeoffreyC

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2002, 07:59:48 PM »
Jerry

Do a search for Shore Gate and you will find several posts from Mike Cirba, Matt Ward and Bill V who played the course in May.  Thankfully, I had to go to a wedding and was unavailable to join them.  I think you will find their comments enlightening.  If you like tough tests of golf a whole lot more then Matt Ward  ;D , I think you might enjoy the course.  Otherwise, enjoy Galloway National and Hidden Creek.  

If you want another really fine course in the area try Twisted Dune.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2002, 08:20:27 PM »
Jerry,

I would never dissuade anyone from playing anywhere, and my opinions I've stated here are only one person's impression.

In fact, I'd love for you to play Shore Gate, and I encourage others here to do the same.  It is certainly something to be seen by anyone with an interest in golf course architecture.

In my mind, it represents a sort of extreme that I think is ballsy, and somewhat indicative of a very real trend in golf course architecture in the new millenium, which I see as a penal reaction to changes in technology, a desire to be noticed as "spectacular" in a competitive business environment, and certainly provides all the challenge anyone might ever want.

It also tries to appeal to the visual senses, with LOTS of eye-poppingly intimidating features.  

Although I'd also highly recommend that you play Twisted Dune, as Geoffrey suggests, I hope you have time to play both.  I'd love to hear others thoughts on Shore Gate, because if someone thinks it's a rare anomaly, I assure you it's not.  "Shore Gates" are being built all across the land, and I don't see the forces driving ultra-difficult, visually controversial and conversational courses diminishing anytime soon.  

It's part of a trend that I think will grow, whether you love it or hate it.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:06 PM by -1 »

BV

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2002, 08:38:10 PM »
Definitely go play Shore Gate!  It is unique.

I would never tell anyone not to play anywhere either.

Stay an extra day, the Jersey Shore will appreciate it.

Play Twisted Dune.

redanman

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2002, 05:05:30 AM »
I have no idea how this thread is near the top of my GCA frontpage today.

I will only add that Shoregate is a course that is excessive and overdone to a point rarely seen, but not to be avoided unless you play it and you don't like it.  It is quite controversial and a propos the thoughts regarding a split in what constitutes "good" or the future of architecture-a great point of discussion.

Matt Dupre

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2002, 07:37:38 AM »
If I had to choose, I'd take Twisted Dune over ShoreGate - TD is more natural (though they moved a LOT of dirt) where SG is forced everything.  They're both fun and enjoyable - it's just a function of what kind of course you enjoy more....

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2002, 10:08:28 AM »
http://www.shoregategolfclub.com/home.html

I played it this summer. I agree with most of the above, if you have to choose, pick Twisted Dune. Shoregate is worth seeing, maybe a touch over bunkered on a few holes. Sand Barrens is also close, but I would try Shore Gate first.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back