GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

What is the most valuable golf artifact?

<< < (9/11) > >>

Dan King:
Rich Goodale writes:
I could be wrong, but I think that the Scottish "crown" survived as a legal entity until 1707 when the Scottish Parliament was dissolved.  In the 1603-1707 period all monarchs "wore" dual crowns (England and Scotland).

That's what I get for relying on a golf book to get Scottish history right. I've found history books are often very poor at getting what is happening outside of golf correct. About the only book that seemed to really make an effort to combine golf history with Scottish history was David Hamilton's excellent Golf: Scotland's Game.

Thanks Rich.

Dan King

--- Quote ---History repeats itself; historians repeat each other.
 --Philip Guedalla
--- End quote ---

Brad Klein:
I'll tell you one rather valuable signed map I have seen and know whereof it is - in a private collection in the U.S. (not mine):

A 1924 edition of MacKenzie's map of St. Andrews, clearly signed by MacK to A.W. Tillinghast as his personal gift. Makes your head spin.

Jeff_Mingay:
Wow!

That is good, Brad. I'm sure there's a few who frequent this web site who'd pay top dollar for that treasure!

Phil_the_Author:
Though they are not in the same category as the ones mentioned, especially because of Brad's mention of Tilly, I can't help but think about his golf clubs, and how many valuable artifacts are sitting out there either undiscovered or taken for granted.

As for Tilly's clubs, they are now the property of his granddaughter Barbara. Several years back when I visited her home to interview her for the first time, she showed me them, or more accurately, asked me to help her get them. These wonderful old hickories, all bearing the Stewart emblem by the way, had slipped from the place of honor where she had stored them for years a few days before I arrived. Instead of standing upright as they had been between the refrigerator and stove in her kitchen, they had fallen and then lay on the floor behind both appliances.

After retrieving them, and these were the clubs he used to finish 25th & second low amateur in the U.S. Open, I was able to convince her, mostly through her children, that these were very valuable historically and monetarily.

I mentioned that they could find a place of honor in a golf museum where they would be cared for, but she just smiled at me with her incredibly beautiful blue eyes, took my hand in her gnarled and arthrically-ravaged 73 year old hands and said, "But what clubs will I use then if I want to play a round!"

If you ever meet Barbara Manny you will be enthralled as I was and still am.

ForkaB:
Phil

Any sign of Tilly's hip flask?  TE Paul would probably pay a pretty penny to get a hold of that!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version