News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

Re:How much influence does a single hole have?
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2005, 08:35:55 AM »
The 15th at Muirfield was designed by Colt in the 1920's...long after the NGLA was built. Colt aslo redesigned the New course in the late teens/early twenties, and I believe his partner Morrison did some work there in the 30's.

Did Macdonald return to Scotland after building the NGLA? He was on the rules of golf committee...I reckon he had to come back to St. Andrews periodically, although I don't recall reading that he did.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 08:38:36 AM by Tom MacWood »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2005, 05:30:27 PM »
Rich Goodale,

Which "Alps" hole do you find superior, and why ?

Prestwick's or NGLA's ?

T_MacWood

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2005, 06:53:29 PM »
Sean
I do believe the 8th was altered by Colt--a new green and new bunkering--which shortened the hole by about twenty-five yards. Even after the changes Darwin said the course was still not a good one. Colt called it dull and slogging.

The Old 15th at Muirfield was not used at NGLA, or was the 8th of the New.

"Additionally, the look of TOC is mostly down to Old Tom."  

That is a huge stretch to say the least. What role did Robertson play? Did the links committee direct the activities or did Robertson/Morris do pretty much what they wanted?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 07:23:33 PM by Tom MacWood »

T_MacWood

« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2005, 09:58:05 AM »
Sean
They were referring to St. Andrew's New not Muirfieild. The original Muirfield was referred to as "nothing but an auld water meadie."

Muirfield was altered prior to Colt's major face lift in the mid-20's. Old Tom's 'water meadie' was pretty much gone by 1920.

I did find an old article that claimed the approach at the 10th was based upon the 13th at Muirfield, I suspect that was misprint.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back