News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

George Bahto's Feature Interview No. 2 is posted
« on: December 11, 2002, 08:10:37 PM »
I have seen a letter to a Raynor course dated 1995 where George talks about his nearly completed Macdonald book.

And in November, 2002, sure enough, golf architecture's longest anticipated book arrived!

And best news yet, two more books are to come which are the only way to do justice to the voluminous amount of information that George has accumulated on Macdonald/Raynor/Banks.

For a Discussion Group famous for arguing on how to argue  ;D , George's book is a rarity as there can be no argument that every single person who frequents this site will enjoy it: it is architecturally intensive, it identifies and analyzes famous type holes and their never ending strategic merit, it details hole for hole the (still) relatively unknown yet architecturally star-studded National Golf Links of America, it profiles such gems as Yale, The Creek, and Piping Rock, and it provides a time line to help put Macdonald/Raynor/Banks' accomplishments in historical perspective. Scattered throughout are George's renderings, which to paraphrase Gary Player, "are the best of  their kind that I've ever seen."   :)

In addition, it is worth noting that The Evangelist is the first book published by Clock Tower Press, and this site intends to give full support to the four people that stand behind CTP, which is essentially the former division of Sleeping Bear Press that published the golf books. WE are all the beneficaries so let's push for their success and allow them to publish such quality books.

Lastly, when I was at National in October, I noticed a few striking water colors hanging in the clubhouse. Further inquiries put me in touch with Barbara Thomas, a local artist on Long Island with a portfolio of golf holes that include over a dozen images from National. I have posted a couple and will add several more in one week once people have had the chance to print the Feature Interview. Please feel free to contact her directly for additional information regarding her art work.

The Evangelist isn't George's first book - The Legend of the Knoll published in 1993 has that distinction and it was then that people unfamiliar with George got their first glimpse of his passion for Macdonald/Raynor/Banks.  As happened with Shackelford and George Thomas and Doak and MacKenzie and Klein and Ross and Labbance and Travis, perhaps many more people - thanks to George - will now gain an insight into C. B. Macdonald , one of the few revolutionary figures in the golf course architecture.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Dunlop_White

Re: George Bahto's Feature Interview No. 2 is post
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2002, 10:13:17 PM »
George,

Evangelist of Golf :   I cannot fathom the time, effort, and care which went into this book. What love and devotion……a monumental effort indeed. The narrative and the pictures thus far have been excellent. And it is great to see Clock Tower off and running as well. Congratulations to both George and Gib.

I would like to thank Ran as well for an informative interview. Beyond Banks, Macdonald, and Raynor, there is a wonderful discussion on the topic of restoration. Also, the water colors by Barbara Thomas just made my Christmas list.

Thanks again!

Dunlop

ian

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2002, 10:51:36 PM »
That was one of the best interviews so far. George, I admire your passion, and would love the chance to meet you. I can't wait to read the book.

Slag Bandoon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2002, 11:34:14 PM »
 Fun, foliage and informative.  Tip of a great iceberg, I'm sure.   George, you a pool hustler too?  

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2002, 12:33:09 AM »
Slag,
 I don't know about pool but don't ever challenge him to a game of marbles. George was the marble champ of NJ in, what was that year George, 1941?

Great guy/great interview. I'm glad to see the book made it out of the trunk of the Caddy and on to the bookshelves.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

GeoffreyChilds

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2002, 10:21:31 AM »
I can't let this thread fall off the page!

George is a true scholar and historian and a damn fine researcher as well.  Whether I'm talking with him, playing a MacDonald/Raynor/Banks course with him or seeing his restoration work at Essex CC, I never fail to learn something new and useful.  This interview was no exception.  Thanks George and Ran for a great addition to the site.

George Pazin

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2002, 11:15:20 AM »
Another great interview, but how can Ran ever go wrong with such a great list of interviewees? :)

Maybe we should try to do an informal get together at Stonebridge next summer.

Thanks to the wonderful people at Clock Tower as well. Look forward to many more great works.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ed_Morrissett

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2002, 10:24:22 AM »
I have not had a chance to study George's book but have gone over it.  I am very impressed.  In addition to the detailed study of The National Golf Links of America, I was particularly glad to see the part on Lido which had always been something of a mystery to me.  The attention given Seth Raynor was also very informative.

We are giving several copies of the book as Christmas presents and will be including copies of George's GCA Interview with them.

Lou Duran

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2002, 11:51:48 AM »
Ed,

In light of the current thread addressing copyright issues, you may have to seek permission to copy Mr. Bahto's interview.  However, with your connections to the holder of such rights, this should not be a problem.  Perhaps you can get approval for me as well.

All kidding aside, it was a great pleasure getting to play with you this past September, as was having the opportunity to spend a little time with Mr. Bahto (whose book I have sitting in my den, but won't open it until Christmas).  Since George has whettted my appetite by showing me the proofs for the first 8 or 9 chapters, I can't wait to get into it.  I hope that I can cajole George and Gib into signing my copy.

George Pazin

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2002, 12:05:42 PM »

...(whose book I have sitting in my den, but won't open it until Christmas).  Since George has whettted my appetite by showing me the proofs for the first 8 or 9 chapters, I can't wait to get into it.

Lou -

You win my vote for strongest willpower on the site!
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Lou Duran

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2002, 12:25:46 PM »
George,

I haven't been very good this year (100+ rounds of golf), so my family may not be too generous and this may be my only present (which I ordered myself).  At least I will have one great "gift" to open on the 25th.

George Bahto

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2002, 12:53:30 PM »
Lou - you are a pisser

MBL

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2002, 03:45:46 PM »
Lou-

I can't believe you haven't opened your present.  It was ALL  I could do to leave it on my nightstand while finishing "The Architectural Side of Golf"... the anticipation nearly killed me, but I wanted to pay full attention to each.  You definitely won't be disappointed by The Evangelist!

George-
I've already given one away as a gift (was very well-received and I'll bet spoken of quite a bit at the annual tourney held last weekend at Mid-Ocean) ... I'm sure many more will follow.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

Lou Duran

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2002, 12:51:55 AM »
MB,

I just finished the Simpson/Whethered book myself.  The first half was great reading in terms of architecture.  The second part was a little tedious for me.  I also re-read the "Spirit of St. Andrews" last week.  Currently, I am reading "Perry Maxwell's Prairie Dunes", so setting Mr. Bahto's book aside is not a huge sacrifice.  Anyways, I have always tried to save the best for last.

Mr. Bahto,

Is being a pisser good?  Your response may affect my disposition going into your book.   But fear not, I do not rate books.

George Bahto

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2002, 06:55:56 AM »
Lou - why are you calling me "Mr"   .....  geeeez!

oh no, "pisser" is good! - gotta keep on your good side, Lou, or you'll find all sorts of wrong things in there

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back