News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Rocky Roquemore, where are you?
« on: November 12, 2005, 07:16:47 PM »
Rocky Roquemore did a redesign of the Pine Meadow courses in Mundelein, IL.  It appears this was a William Flynn design.  Dave Schmidt has been helpful and paved the way for me to contact Frank Jemsek who manages the property and apparently has archival material relating Flynn to the project.  

In addition to researching the materials held by the Jemseks, I'd like to speak with Rocky Roqemore, the architect who worked on the course with Dick Wilson and then did some solo work there, to see if he has any pertinent information.  I tried to find him on the internet and failed to find any contact information.  Anybody know how to contact him?  He's still around, right?

Craig_Rokke

Re:Rocky Roquemore, where are you?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 08:25:48 PM »
Wayne-

I had no idea Roquemore is actually as prolific as he appears to be. He's done over 100 courses, with a lot of recent work
in Portugal and Spain. He may very well still have an office in Atlanta, but I could not find anything more.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 08:45:20 PM »
Wayne - Could this be one for Mel Lucas ?

Bill Gayne

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 08:58:17 PM »
Try www.zoominfo.com it has a decent search function for people.

Mitch Hantman

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 09:54:40 PM »
Wayne,

I believe Rocky is retired from architecture, but is in the turf business in Georgia.  If you'd like, I can ask someone who may know how to contact him.  Let me know via message.

Mitch

wsmorrison

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 08:11:46 AM »
Thanks, guys.  I do want to follow up on this.  Mike Young sent me a likely source for the information offline.  Mitch, if that lead does not pan out (I strongly suspect it will) then if you don't mind I will contact you.  Thanks for the website info, Bill.  Tommy N sent me another that seems very good as well.
Best,
Wayne

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2005, 09:29:30 AM »
You might contact Glenn Sheely at the Atlanta Journal. I recall he wrote an article where he quoted Rocquemore recently.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 09:29:44 AM by BCrosby »

SL_Solow

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 05:13:24 PM »
Note, Roquemore worked with Joe Lee on Pine Meadow; Dick Wilson was gone before the Jemsek's leased the property.

wsmorrison

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 05:21:14 PM »
Thanks, fellows.  I spoke with both Frank Jemsek and Rocky Roquemore today.  Both were very kind and considerate.  Apparently Frank Jemsek saw drawings of the original course with the initials WF.  I hope to get a copy from the seminary sometime in the near future.  A Monsignor Cook (now deceased) recalled that William Flynn designed and built the course after his work at Mill Road Farm for Albert Lasker.  Lasker would end up paying for some of the upkeep of Pine Meadow over the years.  When Joe Lee visited the course in the early 1960s he was reputed to have remarked (without knowing the history) that the course had to be a Flynn.  Rocky Roquemore felt the same way 20 years later.  According to Rocky 12-14 of the current greens are still Flynn and recognizable as such.  The bunkering reminded Roquemore of Flynn as well although much of that was changed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back