GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Hillcrest CC in Los Angeles

(1/8) > >>

David Ober:
I would like an unbiased opinion of Hillcrest. I played there under circumstances that made it difficult for me to do anything but rave about the golf course.

What do you all think of it? Have any of you played it?

Tommy_Naccarato:
David,
Hillcrest is most definitely a course that has evovled the wrong way over a long period of time. It's a pretty good piece of property in the area I liked to call the "Grand Canal" of LA's great golf courses. That path of golf courses started at California CC which was located just below what is now Rancho Park/Ambassador GC. Next up was Hillcrest, crossing Pico to Max Behr's Westwood Pay-As-You-Play Golf Course. Just across the street to the North of that is THE LACC's South Course, crossing Wishire to THE LACC's much more famous North and then Bel Air CC.

As condensed as that area once was, it's equal probably in a  close parallel to Westchester area near New York City.

Hillcrest started out at Willie Watson with eventual changes by one or both of the Bell's. It of course got worse from there, especially after the hiring of John Harbottle who did really nothing with the place.

Last time I played there, I just marveled how good the place really could be if someone hit the green committee as-a-whole, over the head with a bat and started shouting out proper directions. Certainly the 18th has enough really good features left in the ground that could make it a viable restoration candidate. (of some sort)

Robert_Ball:
David,

I've played Hillcrest several times over the past 15 yrs and always find it enjoyable and in great condition.  I'd probably give it a 4 on the Doak scale.

In '02 Harbottle rebuilt the greens to USGA spec, removed some trees (but also added some on the back nine ??? ) and added a few bunkers, some of which are out of place IMO.  Like the big one on the elbow of the par 5 8th and the ones fronting 18.  #5 used to be my favorite when it featured a blind approach, leveled by Harbottle at the request of the members.  The bunkerless 11th is probably the only original design left on the course.

-Robert

Gene Greco:
Is Hillcrest the club where Bobby Jones filmed those Hollywood shorts in the thirties???

Is the 18th similar in appearance from the approach to the green to the 18th at Riviera?

Jeff_Mingay:

--- Quote from: Thomas Naccarato on November 03, 2005, 09:09:23 PM ---Last time I played there, I just marveled how good the place really could be if someone hit the green committee as-a-whole, over the head with a bat...

--- End quote ---

What a line  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version