News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

Diagonal Greens-Devilish and Delicious
« on: December 13, 2002, 03:59:19 PM »
A few weeks ago at Commonwealth Golf Club in Australia, I turned to Paul Daley on my approach shot to the 14th hole and marveled at the green complex.  The green lied what seemed at a diagonal of 45 degrees and was pinched by a back bunker and a front bunker.. In true Sandbelt fashion with the bunkershaping it seemed to deceive the proper depth perception of the approach.  I had a lot of problems selecting a club as this type of green complex seems quite devilish to me.  The green looks so narrow and especially when the pin is in the middle and obscured by the front bunker you really have to plot your strategy.

I also felt this way at Dr. Mac's 7th hole at Crystal Downs as the boomerang is pinched by a bunker as well and with the pin positioned where it was that day my depth perception put me in the back bunker twice and I could never trust my yardage it seemed.

I don't know why architects don't do more of this added in with sandbelt esque flash bunkering which doesnt give you a look at the bottom of the pin.  I find it quite fun to play holes like this..

Am I alone in this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

Tim Weiman

Re: Diagonal Greens-Devilish and Delicious
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 04:09:46 PM »
NAF:

Depending on the pin position, you'll find this feature on #13, a short par 3 at Atlantic City Country Club. It's among the more enjoyable and aesthetically pleasing short par 3's I've seen in a long time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Shane Gurnett

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2002, 01:34:15 AM »
Noel, I couldn't agree more. This design feature provides a huge amount of strategic interest, and in particular is well suited as a defence mechanism for short par four holes. The 14th at Commonwealth has been kicking my butt for 15 years!

Another example in Melbourne would be the 13th at Kingston Heath, whilst Mike Claytons design at Ranrfulie features this green complex on the first hole (300m). The 11th at Yarra Yarra also could be considered as a par three example (with three tiers to the green).

Would the 10th at Riviera qualify? Why dont we see more of this type of green complex, which seems so well suited to relatively flat sites, and short holes?

Chris Kane

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2002, 05:20:21 AM »
Noel and Shane,

Spot on: this design feature at #14 is timeless, and provides for a multitude of different strategies to play the hole.  Positioning from the tee is also highlighted, with the ability to access particular pin positions being determined by the angle from which one is playing.

I also enjoy this green complex's flexibility, in that the hole plays completely differently depending on where the hole is located.  With a pin at the front, tucked against the bunker, the issue is whether to fly to the flag or to play short and run it on, while a middle pin position requires deft club selection and a well-shaped shot.  A pin at the back generally calls for a high fade, with the bunkering on both sides of the green influencing the club selection.

Could it be said that #17 offers a similar challenge, albeit in a different form, with the bunker on the left, and the a***- crack drop-off on the right?  

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2002, 12:01:57 PM »
Hasn't Pete Dye made a consistent theme of this sort of green angle and bunker placement, as well.  I think Axeland and Proctor have used this sort of green angle-bunker position at Wild Horse well, particularly on 7-12-14-15-17-18.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2002, 05:45:41 PM »
I feel that the diagonal nature and the ability to change that diagonal by changing the pin therefore increasing versatility enjoyment and ultimatley fun, is where so many high dollar venues miss the boat.

The boomerang is a great example how easily changing the pin alters strategy.

NAF

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2002, 10:59:11 AM »
Chris,

When I played C-Wealth the pin on 17 was front left (if I remember) and I watched my short approach bounce just a little bit too far right and carried away..man was I frustrated..A 2 putt later I took par but what a hole..I still would not try and drive it though..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back