News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lou Duran

Re: Copyright Material/Discussion
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2002, 12:37:24 AM »
My friend Dick,

Just got back from two Christmas parties, so this may not be too cogent.

I do believe in free markets, enlightened capitalism, and that attempts to create a utopian "new man" unaffected by human nature are doomed to failure.

I also believe in the sanctity of the contract, and the rights of workers to organize and bargain.  On the other side of that coin, I also believe that owners/management have the right to seek other alternatives, be it new workers if a new contract beneficial to both sides can't be negotiated, and/or the utilization of new technologies and proccesses that improve productivity.  Finally, I think that we underestimate the ability of our labor force to adapt to change.  Most jobs do not require a high degree of specialization that a worker cannot attain through training.  It may be difficult for laborers to relocate, but that is something that many managers have had to contend with numerous times during their careers, and it is not easy for them either.

On the issue of rising health costs, I think that administrative and other bureaucratic costs are much less of a factor than rising life expectancy; the legal environment which makes medical professionals more conservative (ordering more tests, longer hospital stays) and transfers funds to the trial lawyers and the enablers of this mess (who do you think that the lawyers funnel the money to?); and that as long as someone else is paying for the medical services, there is an inherent propensity to consume.  In the perfect world, people would not smoke, they would watch their diets, exercise, drink moderately, brush their teeth, and focus on preventive health care.  Many in our population, specially those with the least resources, due the opposite and develop cancers, heart problems, diabetis, and other dreadful diseases which are hyper expensive to cure, and equally costly to provide some comfort and dignity until death.

I am not smart enough to provide a solution to the medical cost problem in a free society.  But I do know that technological advancements can alleviate the situation.  Doctor MacKenzie believed that golf promoted good health.  Perhaps Medicare should provide an optional benefit to get people outdoors and active as opposed to drugging them up.  Maybe more courses modeled after Wild Horse and Rustic Canyon (interesting, walkable, and affordable) would make for a healthier society and lower medical costs.  (Ok, I know I'm reaching!)  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2002, 01:08:24 PM »
Lou, I get the feeling that you and I could go on for many exchanges on the discussion of our ideas as to our perspectives on the issues of affordable health care access to the citizens of this country and workers rights.  But, we'd wind up with interminable point counter-points that may rival the exchanges between Mucci and TEPaul  ;D ::)

Albeit too simplistic, yet a point of common ground in our day dreams of an idealistic world patterned after the thoughts of "the Good Dr.", we can agree that the promotion of good health in the form of affordable golf for the masses like WH and RC would be an invigorating and holistic approach where the golf pro takes on the role of healer! :o

But, like the spiralling cost of health care based on over use of technology and construction of lavish-expensive courses in already overbuilt markets, (sort of like having 10 MRIs in a market that only needs 2) the little guy is getting squeezed out of access to the healthcare and the golf game.  And even the golf course architects like the health practitioners are begging for tort reform and some brakes being applied to potential outrageous awards in claims for risk liable design or treatment.

Like you Lou, I am struggling to keep our philosophical political points of view within the realm of GCA, and not bore our GCA family.  I guess we will have to postpone our always enjoyable exchanges to a 19th hole environment the next time we get together for our physical-mental golf holistic health retreat. ;) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

JakaB

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2002, 07:28:56 PM »
Jim.

I'm sorry for the direction this thread has taken and take full responsibility for its demise...I further apologize to anyone who chooses to copy and paste any article or book for the purpose of continued discussion on this site...

Lou,

Whatever the hell a populist is..I don't wanna be one anymore.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2002, 12:47:38 AM »
JakaB,
No apology necessary, all discussions have their tangents but
they seem more prevalent in discussions where no collective wisdom can be identified.  8)

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Lou Duran

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2002, 12:11:40 PM »
Jim,

Would you care to explain what "where no collective wisdom can be identified" means?

Personally, the copyright issues raised here were not particularly interesting or meaningful.  I could see someone possible being sensitive about plagiarism, but cutting and pasting short excerpts of books or articles on this site is hardly a significant problem.  If we were limited only to original thought, this site would need but a couple of pages.

JakaB,

You know very well what a populist is, and no, you are not really one unless it presents an opportunity on ocassion to be provocative.  Sometime I would like to see the collection of books you bought at auction (or was it an estate sale).  I suspect that if we were in Medieval times, a book burning would be in order.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2002, 03:00:27 PM »
slightly off the subject but relevant nonetheless.  What is the deal regarding information on the internet?  I.E. pictures, graphics, etc.  If I did not ask for Ran's permission, for example, am I not allowed to use pictures from GCA on a website of my own???  Just wondering?
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2002, 04:33:10 PM »
Sure Lou, here goes:

I was referring to non-GCA related topics in general, not necessarily this one, that seem more prone to losing sight of their objective and sometimes never return to subject whereas GCA topics have more "collective wisdom" as a base for discussion and more easily return to topic. JakaB was apologizing, I was trying to be gracious.  

This topic, by its title alone, should have been seen as fairly dry and not one where much discussion was going to happen.  It was originally started to address the concerns raised in another thread about the potential misuse of copyright material and it served its purpose.  
I'm sorry that it did not turn out to be particularly interesting or meaningful for you.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back