News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Sunday River Golf Club - Newry, ME - Robert Trent Jones, Jr.
« on: October 24, 2005, 10:59:01 AM »
I have had a couple of inquiries from the West Coast regarding the state of golf in Maine, so I am pleased to announce that the Sunday River Golf Club, designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr. and many years in the pipeline, finally opened for play this year in Newry.

My first impression is that Sunday River is the most scenic course I have ever played. It is located on a plateau just north of the ski mountains, it is surrounded by mountains, and a great many trees have been chopped down to glorify these views. The course is vast and grand, but its aesthetic, especially the built-up tee boxes and waste areas, is very subdued and muted, and blends into the mountains and forest.

My second impression is one of a roller coaster thrill ride. There are but two flat holes at Sunday River - the rest is a heaving, surging, cart-ride enhanced trip across some terrain that would seem severe if the fairways were not so enormous. The course has something "extreme" about it.

The course is very difficult. We played in fifty degree temperatures with a sustained twenty mile per hour wind (note to USGA - please do not roll back the ball!). It is one of those courses that is so large that it just swallows up your approach shot. Many unven stances, difficult club selections due to elevation and wind, and giant three-puttable greens. The tips, which we sure as hell did not play in those conditions, are for the most part not built up like the other tees, a design feature that I really like.

Finally, the shot values and the options are there in spades. All of the par fives are reachable (not all on the same day!), the fairway bunkering is  relevant, the greens have nice interior contours and steep dropoffs here and there and the extreme width of the fairways has strategic implications.

Overall, a wonderful course that blew away my expectations.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Dan_Callahan

Re:Sunday River Golf Club - Newry, ME - Robert Trent Jones, Jr.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 11:16:08 AM »
Michael,

Thanks for the report. I have been following the course construction via the Sunday River Web site. The photos they have posted look fantastic, but I have yet to talk to someone who has actually played the course. Glad to hear you liked it. That will be at the top of my list for next summer.

Mike_Sweeney

Re:Sunday River Golf Club - Newry, ME - Robert Trent Jones, Jr.
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 11:26:33 AM »

My first impression is that Sunday River is the most scenic course I have ever played.

Perhaps we can get you and Matt Ward a digital camera for Christmas!  ::)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back