News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Paul Daley's New Book
« on: December 07, 2002, 01:47:41 PM »
Here I sit on a Saturday, with the fire crackling in Phoenix, and what should appear from across the world but Paul Daley's new book, "Golf Architecture -- a Worldwide Perspective". Thanks Paul, you did a wonderful job. A tremendous effort and such a diverse group of essayists. As soon as I read more I will give unconditional confirmation of the thumbs up icon, but so for it's a winner.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Brian Phillips

Re: Paul Daley's New Book
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2002, 02:25:33 PM »
Forrest,

Paul is working very hard on the next volume already and I think he has a deadline of getting it together before Christmas.  I am not sure when it is due to be published though.  

How was Jeff's essay?

What was Line's essay like? She is a very talented young architect.

Can't wait for the book to arrive in the post.

Congratulations Paul.  What a great period we are living in for Golf Course Achitectural writings!

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 02:44:37 PM »
Haven't gotten that far. I did see Line's photo kneeling by a drainage pipe and showed it to my daughter for inspiration. She still wants to sing and dance which is OK with me.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 04:00:49 PM »
I have put Paul's book on my Christmas Wish List as per the kind things that people have said about it.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Jeff Mingay

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 04:06:05 PM »
Hey Brian,

Kinda vague, don't you think? I presume you're asking about Jeff Brauer's essay, when another Jeff also contirbuted an essay to Volume 1 of Paul's anthology... now, who could that other Jeff be? Hmmmm...

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2002, 04:46:50 PM »
The only essay by a "Jeff" that I noted is that by Jeff Ross, cousin of the grandson of Donald's older half brother.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Geoff_Shackelford

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2002, 05:05:06 PM »
My copies arrived today. I'm a biased reviewer, but the book is spectacular. I can't wait to get into the essays. What a variety of topics and contributors. The design is perfect. The size is large enough to show off the spectacular printing quality (Paul who prints your work!?!?!), but small enough to comfortably read. The sepia artwork by a Melbourne artist is used as a design addition, and makes for a great touch. The paper is of the highest quality, ah, enough, just get this book!

Paul, congratulations, you are publishing books the way they are meant to be done and I know readers will appreciate the extra touches. Thanks for your efforts.
Geoff

PS - If you are looking for a great gift book, Paul's book with David Scaletti on the sandbelt courses features the most exquisite modern golf course photography you'll ever see, and of great subject material. It's available in a special edition I have not seen, but I'm sure is fantastic based on Paul's other work.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2002, 11:11:54 PM »

All the positive feedback is correct.

Paul's latest offering is possibly his best yet, and his previous two works (Links Golf, and The Sandbelt) are excellent. As you said Geoff - just the right size, and some glorious photography. The pictures of Pacific Dunes especially are brethtaking. Written contributions are diverse, of good quality, and some are exceptionally well written.

I've been luck enough, being here in Melbourne, to get a copy early.  It is really a great book.

Cannot wait for Volume 2...

Keep up the sensational work Paul !

Matthew
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Dunlop_White

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2002, 11:41:49 PM »
Paul,

Congratulations on your most recent effort, "Golf Architecture: A Worldwide Perspective: Vol. I." I do hope to receive my copy soon!

Best wishes!

Dunlop

Paul Daley

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2002, 06:55:55 AM »
Forrest:

Delighted to read that the book made it safely to Phoenix. I've never been there, but like so many many US cities immortalised in song, you feel as though you have.
I still pitch for Glen Campbell's rendition of ... By the time I get to Phoenix as the best.

Congratulations on your ground-breaking essay that debunks the traditional method - and shortfall - of assessing holes and individual golf shots as: penal; heroic; and strategic.

Without giving the game away too much, Forrest has re-defined what these terms mean, plus added a couple of new terms, that might just become part of everyday golfing lexicon.

Good luck with your book on Routing the Course.  

Brian:

Hope you're enjoying your four week break. Both Jeffs - Brauer and Mingay produced essays they can be proud of.
JB chose to write about the options/variations that architects have up their sleeves to entice, titilate, confuse, disorientate golfers when standing on the tee. Jeff has assigned catchy titles to each option: battlefield tee shot; the dictator tee-shot; the we're surrounded tee-shot; the position paradox tee-shot; the democratic tee-shot; the diminishing returns tee-shot; and so on.

Jeff Mingay has drawn upon the architectural lessons that the Old Course has provided us - if we can only stop long enough to observe and incorporate into modern designs. He plummets for the value of providing liberal fairway widths, fast-running conditions to best test players, and signals the death-knell of slow moving, narrow, corridor widths. By way of comparison to the example of TOC, JM cites Oakland Hills South Course as being devoid of options and strategy, due to its overly penalising nature.

JM has written about the influence of fairway watering and how this has hugely - and adversely - affected courses around the globe.

Paul:

Carol has organised eveything: should be there in one week!

Geoff:

I am humbled by your most generous praise of the book. The printing was done in China by Everbest Company, and I agree it has done a very good job. I tried out the relatively new technology of computer-to-plate, instead of the traditional film-to-plate.

Glad you liked the artwork of local artist, Barry King, who has only recently completed 40 fantastic water-colours to accompany volume two essays. I love his work, and living only two minutes away is a great bonus.

I agree with your assessment of David Scaletti's photography in our Sandbelt book: his "snapping" is hard to beat. There is a regular edition, plus a leather-bound Limited Edition (100 copies only) of which there are around 40 left. It is named The Mackenzie Edition, in honour of the visit by the great man in 1926 to our shores, and subsequent influence over the quality of Melbourne/Australian architecture.

Matthew:

Great to hear from you, and I do appreciate your words. You've taken the trouble to mention the glorious pics of Pacific Dunes in Oregon. All praise to US photographer, Wood Sabold, whose work in capturing Pacific and Bandon Dunes verges on the quality of Mr Scaletti. Looking forward to our twilight hit next Friday at Huntingdale. So soon after the tournament, it should be in great nick.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2002, 10:03:55 AM »
I've now managed through more than half of this terrific book. Geoff S. is on target with his praise of the quality -- very refreshing to see such good printing and, I'm sure, considerable time on Paul's part securing decent images from the contributors.

For those not familiar with the book, it is a compendium of 42 essays from  different writers. Most golf architects and writers. Each essay consumes 4-5 pages and is broken up by photos, drawings or historical images.

It's simply full of good reads. Martin Hawtree's description of Lahinch is masterful, Gil Hanse's chant to stamp out conformity is a great sound-off, and Mike Keiser's insight into Bandon was a nice surprise. I had to put it down last evening to attend a charity dinner, but kept it on my mind even through conversation with a few Arizona politicians sitting at our table. (Anyone familiar with Arizona politics will know that there is nothing uninteresting about our politicians as they often get indited or impeached.)

Paul's book is very interesting and refreshing in many ways -- each essay is the right length (only Pete Dye's could have been longer); the thoughts expressed make you think, even if in disagreement; and the topics are wonderfully different. I believe this to be the books hallmark -- diversity. Yet there is a common theme: love for golf courses and their make-up.

www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Scott Seward

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2002, 01:34:51 PM »
Where is this book available?  amazon.com says it will not be published until March.

Tim Weiman

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2002, 02:02:22 PM »
Scott,

The book is available in Australia.

Contact Paul Daley directly at: fswing@bigpond.net.au

NAF

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2002, 06:24:11 AM »
I got Paul's book over the weekend (after seeing it with him in Oz) and it is terrific.  

A perfect coffee table book and every essay is well written and contains wonderful insight.

I was especially impressed with some of the essays by people I didnt know like Graeme Grant (who I know of now after a Sandbelt trip), Tony Ristola and Jeremy Glenn.  I also liked Forrest's piece as well as Geoff Shackleford's and Michael Clayton's.

Brian Phillips-Line's essay is just like her.  Direct, well thought out, to the point and poignant.  She is a great one and I hope she makes a big name for herself going forward.

Our own Mr. Ran Morrissett also gives the evolution of GCA as a contribution.

The pictures are wonderful as well.  Congrats Paul on all your hard work.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2002, 07:28:08 AM »
Just for the record, I serve more than coffee at my coffee table. Hope this is OK.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jeremy_Glenn.

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2002, 07:48:43 AM »
I still haven't received my copy yet, but am anxiously awaiting...

It'd be perfect timing if I got it today, though.  I'm home sick, big time.

I could think of nothing better than spending the day curled up in bed with a pot of honey tea, my dog at my feet, a fire crackling, and Paul's book in my hands.

PS  Yes, Forrest.  Up here in Canada, crackling fires are quite appropriate at this time of year.  I can't for the life of me figure out why you'd need one down in Phoenix!  ;)

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2002, 08:12:55 AM »
Jeremy -- We need fireplaces here in Phoenix to help us recall good times in Canada, and other fine places. Hope you are feeling better by early evening, or before.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

bakerg (Guest)

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2002, 10:01:17 AM »
I am reading these posts and laughing to myself.  Most of us in America are anxiously awaiting this book to arrive at our Amazon.  When was the last time America waited for stuff to be released.  It ususally starts here and the rest of the countries are waiting on our movies, books, etc to reach them.  Kind of nice to see things reversing a bit.  Don't get me wrong I want this book as soon as possible can, but I don't mind the wait.  

Tim Weiman

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2002, 10:15:01 AM »
Guys:

My copy arrived this morning and while I've just had a first look, I can see already that Paul has put together something special.

I'll need a few days to fully digest the book, but one thing that immediately stands out is how different Paul's first three books are. "Golf Architecture - A Worldwide Perspective" is nothing like his earlier efforts (Link's Golf and The Sandbelt).

If one test of a book is coming up with something new, Paul has passed with flying colors.

Thanks, Paul, for all your work putting this book together. Thanks also to all the many contributors. This is a great time to be a golf architecture junkie.

brad miller

« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2002, 01:20:46 PM »
Does anyone know when Amazon will be shipping in the USA?

Tim Weiman

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2002, 06:21:52 PM »
Brad Miller:

Don't wait. Get in touch with Paul and treat yourself to a Christmas present.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2002, 10:02:54 AM »
I have just received my copy of the book and I am very impressed.

I would just like to say one more thing about his books.  I ordered limited edition books and they are worth the money!!  The Sandbelt book is absolutely beautiful as well is the latest book.

If you can afford dropping buying another book for a limited edition of one of his books then do it, they are really great gifts for not only yourselves but maybe also clients or friends.

Paul,

One small tip.  SIGN YOUR NAME LARGER!!  

Congratulations.

Brian.
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2002, 03:45:32 PM »
I noted that, as time permitted more reading, I would say more good things if warranted. And there is plenty to congratulate Paul for bringing to us! A tremendous effort to gather all these thoughts in one place. Thanks, Paul!
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tim Weiman

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2002, 04:02:38 PM »
Forrest:

On another thread Tom Paul asked about reading recommendations for club committee members. Obviously, there are many suggestions one could make, but I felt Paul's book should be considered as a good way to enter the golf architecture dialogue and encourage further reading.

What do you think? Do you think it fits for people with an interest in golf architecture but who may not be widely read?

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2002, 04:11:16 PM »
I do. The only drawback would be that there are basics to cover first...perhaps Paul's book might be considered "3rd year material" out of a four year course.
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back