GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Friar's Head

<< < (5/6) > >>

Lance:
it is unfair to call this a "waterfront" course! Long Island sound can barely be seen on one hole. I'd call it more a "bluffs" course which utilizes treed bluff dunes for half of its holes to much delight. What the close proximity to the sound does however is cause windy conditions every afternoon. One thing nobody has mentioned is that there are no yardage markers of any kind and that the scorecard HAS NO YARDAGE listed for individual holes. The course played this year as mandatory walking but that may change when the course is officailly opened in the future. Lance

guest:
Back to the original request, there are some FH pictures on C&C's design site.

http://www.bencrenshaw.com/

Michael Dugger:
true dat, but is it the same one that's been there forever???  I want new, I want every hole.

Michael Dugger:
ah yes, it is the same few.  Must be careful in here, others, that will go unmentioned, will bite of your head for being redundant.    

Greg Stebbins:
My round at Friars Head in the fall was one of the most enjoyable golf experiences I've ever had.  The course is spectacular and a lot of fun to play.  The greens are creatively sloped and contoured making local knowlege a must to score well, but there is nothing overly tricky at the same time.  

My favorie hole is the uphill par 5, 14th.  The sand dune behind the green makes for an intimidating backdrop. I love how the green extends back and right into crook between the dunes.  It takes a very heroic shot to get the ball all the way back there.  

One could spend a day just at the driving range and on the putting green.  They are very well designed.  One could concievably practice any shot there (but it is much more fun to play them on the course).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version