News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Committee educational reading material?
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2002, 02:18:27 PM »
Ronan:

I agree on that one too. In my opinion, GeoffShac's own incisive architectural take and his writing on it is the best of our time. Lot of beautiful paintings for them to look at too.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2002, 03:31:17 PM »
TEPaul,

Unless future architectural changes are contemplated by your club, don't have them read anything, except your book.

Then reduce the number of people on the committee,

Then explain the theory of "Maintainance Meld"

And your course should be perfect for the next 20 + years.

A little knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
I don't know that I would want to fuel the "amateur architect"
syndrome, and would prefer that green committees focus on the "maintainance meld" and conditioning to the exclusion of everything else.

However, if a club is considering the alteration of their golf course, or the restoration of same, have them read every book you can get your hands on.

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2002, 06:00:40 PM »
Patrick:

They already have a little knowledge, so measures need to be taken. What're you doing posting anyway? You're supposed to be lying down at all times! Get off the computer right now! I'll send you some audio tapes of the things you need to know about golf architecture, you can lie down and listen to them as you sleep--knowledge will filter in subliminally and you will never need to question much of anything again, it will be like second nature and your understanding will be semi-complete!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2002, 07:05:17 PM »
TEPaul,

Starting tomorrow I'm going to have plenty of time to lie down.

I think those on any committee who are really interested in golf course architecture will have a desire or thirst to learn as much as they can about architecture without being force fed, or led by the hand.

And, I genuinely feel that the blend of conditioning in conjunction with the maintainance meld is by far the most important item that a committee member can focus on.

A green committee studying architecture somehow implies that changes are about to be made, and I find that more than a little scarey.

I do however, firmly believe, that a smaller committee, is usually a better committee.

I also find that a committee of one, takes their responsibity far more seriously than each member of a larger committee.

But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Mark_F

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2002, 10:29:39 PM »
Isn't it a bit pointless asking what reading material a club committee should have?
Aren't they only going to see what they want to anyway?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back