News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Champion Bermuda grass
« on: September 25, 2005, 10:12:45 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing yesterday morning at The Oaks, a 1933 course in Covington, GA, whose origins trace back, at least in part, to Bobby Jones.

The course has just reopened its greens (within the last month, I think) after regrassing them with Champion Bermuda.  This was the first time I had seen this grass, and it was impressive, to say the least.  I was told the following, though I can't verify all of this:

1. It took only about 3 months to completely regrass all 18 greens.  They killed the old Penncross Bent greens that had become infested with bermuda, threw out sprigs of the Champion and sanded, and let them grow in during the summer.  I assure you, all 18 were perfect.  Absolutely no bare spots, no evidence of fungus, and NO pitch mark scarring!

2. The cost to the club was around $100,000.  I don't know much about the economics of this, but that certainly sounds reasonable.

3. The greens can run as fast on the stimp as most bent grass greens.  They were at least as fast yesterday as average bent greens on daily fee courses, to give a rough estimate.

The grass looks like bent, but rarely leaves ballmarks.  It definitely putts like bermuda in terms of limited break, but the effects of up vs. down grain on the speed of putts seemed much less than is normally the case with bermuda greens.  Given the tremendous difficulty that we've had with bent greens in GA this summer, it would seem to be a great alternative for many courses to consider.

Anyone else have any experience with this strain of bermuda?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

cary lichtenstein

Re:Champion Bermuda grass
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 10:16:04 PM »
Ritz Jupiter...excellent
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 10:25:27 PM »
AG,
  Give it time and the champion will develop some grain, but hopefully it will be minimized by brushing, grooming, verticutting and topdressing. From what you've stated, it sounds like that they did a "no-till" meaning that they kept the sub-surface and just killed off the bent and removed any thatch. This is good and bad in the fact that if the sub-surface isn't a good draining greens mix, they've wasted alot of money in with going with the no till. We have Tifeagle greens and it is a thatch maker-I beleive that Champion is a less thatch grass. There is nothing better than Bentgrass though!!!

Tony Nysse
Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 10:26:06 PM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 11:22:44 PM »
Our tifeagle has thatch issues as well. I still feel these new burmuda grasses are the beginning of a new dawn for southern greens.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 11:53:20 PM »
AG - The Crooked Oaks course on Seabrook Island switched to Champion this year and also only took 3 months to complete the process. I played there just a couple of weeks ago and the greens were some of the finest putting surfaces I have ever seen. Absolutely flawless!

By the way, Caledonia also switched over to Champion this summer and were only closed 2 months! I played there about 10 days after they reopened and the greens were outstanding... not up to Crooked Oaks standard yet, but well on their way.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005, 06:20:45 AM »
Anthony Nysse,
I was told (again, can't verify) that the guy who has developed Champion and that did this work at The Oaks will NOT sell Champion to a course until he is certain that it will not fail.  Supposedly, he made several site visits to assure himself that drainage issues, etc., were not going to be problems.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

S. Huffstutler

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 09:02:53 AM »
Morris Brown and his son Mike own Champion Turf Farms. The grass is patented and they are the only growers, so quality control is as high as it can be. Mike or Morris come out and evaluate your greens and subsurface before they will sell you the grass for a no - till renovation, they plant it themselves and give you a cookbook on how to grow it. They visit regularly and put on seminars for caring for the grass.
I did not do a no till renovation, I stripped the sod off, reshaped and regrassed my greens, but they were ready to go in 8 weeks, I wish the 419 was playable this quickly.
A no-till renovation saves considerable money and as long as the soil and drainage is ok and you are not doing any reshaping, it's the way to go.
www.cturf.com

Regards,

Steve
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 09:04:09 AM by S. Huffstutler »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back