News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DMoriarty

GCA Slang
« on: December 22, 2002, 10:39:55 AM »
Didn't have much creative or original to add to JakaB's "Alter Egos and Regional Slang" thread, so I thought I would make up my own 'slanguage' based on some of the personalities and topics on this site.  Please believe me when I say that no ill will was intended.  Well, not much anyway.  

Feel free to modify mine and add your own.

The Doyen:  The player with the highest score at the end of the round.

GCAing:  Spending a long time analyzing a shot or putt before or hitting, and/or after hitting.

Thinking Outside the Box:  Accidentally hitting a shot to a location where no one would dare go on purpose.  

A Tommy N:  A golfer who claims his questionable result was actually intended. ("Sure 'Tommy N.' you meant to hit into that bunker.")

A TomPaul:  A hole or course that is substantially longer than the norm.  ("The third at Barona is a real TomPaul.")

A TomPaul Putt:  Putting before reading the green.  

A Geoffrey and Mike:  Any foursome with two lefties.

A Restorer:  A golfer who, over time, modifies and misrepresents the details of his round.  

An Architect: A golfer who heaps high praise on his own game.  

A Duran:  The lone golfer lugging is own bag amongst a course full of carts.  

A Mucci:  A player who questions his companions' scores from the green all the way to the next green but refuses to divulge his own, then repeats.

Mucci Bias:  A course or hole strongly favoring one type of golfer over another.  

Coore and Crenshaw:  Opponents who can do no wrong in a match.  

Rees and Tom: Opponents who can do nothing right in a match.

A Goodale:  A player who opts out of buying after-round drinks (because he thinks his very presence is payment enough.)

A Huntley:  An extremely entertaining anecdote of questionable veracity.

A Mr. Huntley:  Same as a Huntley, only involving at least one character with a formal title, such as a Lord, Duke, young Duchess, or the Queen.  

Huntleyed:  To be handed an insult so cleverly masked in politeness and eloquence, that the insulted person feels honored to have received it.  ("Mike Cirba 'huntleyed' the head pro when the pro asked Mike what he thought of his CCFAD.")

Field Work:  A stumbling player hitting from rough to rough, trap to trap, hazard to hazard, feature to feature.  

A Huckaby:  A golfer or commentator who always praises everyone's shots.

A Shivas:  A shot that starts right and goes more right.

A Moriarty:  A shot that starts left and goes more left.

A Dan King:  A shot that goes way off the course.

A Barona:  Any highly enjoyable golf trip or outing.

A Rustic: A golfer who is very sensitive to criticism.

A National: A shot that is so good, it is praised . . . and praised . . . and praised . . . and praised.

A Barney or JakaB:  A swing so incredibly unorthodox to be humorous, but that somehow manages to produce good results.

Barney's Wife:  Anyone who drinks inexpensive wine, preferably Mad Dog, near or on a golf course.

Warding it:  Insisting on playing from the very tip of the tips.  ("I'm feeling strong, let's 'ward' it today.")

A Martha Burk:  A foursome or golf outing that includes men and women.

A Hootie:  A foursome or golf outing made up of only men.

A Brad Miller: The golfer in your group with the most impressive array of club logos on his golfing garb.

A Mark Miller:  A golfer showing an artistic touch around the greens or anywhere on the course.  

A Lynn:  An incredibly smooth and fluid left-handed swing.

A Reverse Lynn:  An incredibly smooth and fluid right-handed swing.

JohnVeeing:  Asking for a ruling, or checking or talking about the rules during a match.

A Pelican:  An overpriced and overrated course.  

A Wild Horse:  Exceptionally firm and fast conditions/course.

A Rustic Range:  A course with an exceptionally ugly practice area, compared to the course.  Or, an ugly man-made  backdrop on a beautiful hole.  

Melding:  Having all aspects of your game come together at the same time.

Maintenance Melding:  Going to the range to try to work on Melding.

A Pete L:  An exceptional and generous host.  (For those that would like to be a Pete L., homemade beer, quality scotch, and great food all help.)

A Morrissett.  A host that may even be more exceptional and generous than a Pete L.

Thanks Ran.  And Happy Holidays to All.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

ForkaB

Re: GCA Slang
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2002, 10:51:44 AM »
Dave

You forgot the most important "slang" on this site, the incomparable Slang Bandoo.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

DMoriarty

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2002, 10:53:26 AM »
Sorry Slang,  royalty check is in the mail.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2002, 11:04:24 AM »
David, Of course you do know that this means war.:)

And yes, hard to believe, it maybe questionable to some, but I did intend to hit it in there, just as I intended to hit it into the Road Hole bunker, (But missed and ended up near the wall) and as I inteneded to hit it into Hell, and missed there too. I also intended to hit it into the GREAT bunkers left of the green at Pacific Dunes #6 and missed there too, only to end up in a precarious position next to the tree where I pulled-off a miracle shot and placed it three feet from the hole. However, I missed the putt, in fact I think I three-putted.

Those misses are the bane of my existence.:)

Dan King

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2002, 11:38:39 AM »
DMoriarty writes:
A Dan King:  A shot that goes way off the course.

My friends call a DNF a Dan King. The sooner you can pull a Dan King in a tournament the cooler it is. A Dan King doesn't mean Did Not Finish in the classical sense. You just decide there is no point in letting a single hole defeat you, so you pick up on that hole, but keep on playing the rest of the round. A late Dan King with a god score going is also something to be admired.

A Slag Bandoo is playing army golf (left-right-left-right) running between shots with a big smile on your face, with some fist pumping when you make a putt for a nine.

Tommy_Naccarato writes:
I also intended to hit it into the GREAT bunkers left of the green at Pacific Dunes #6 and missed there too

Damn, that is one hell of a big target to miss. That should go down in history, comparable to Ian Baker-Finch going O.B. left on the first hole at TOC.

Dan King
"It is my hope that when this evil electronic media meets the fate it deserves we who have hoarded large caches of the written word will stand at our doorsteps and read to the starving masses or simply frolic along the countryside giving out obscure books to young children and forgotten women asking for no more than a smile...and turning before we even know of payment."
 --JakaB

Dan King

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2002, 11:47:38 AM »
You're also missing the Gib. At one time it was a swing where all the other members of the foursome would look the other way in fear that if they watch some of the twitches would enter their own swing. But it has changed into someone swinging and talking at the same time.

Dan King
"For many years I had an impression of my golf swing, which was: that I vividly resembled Tom Weiskopf in the takeaway and Dave Marr on the downswing. Unfortunately, there came a day when I was invited to have my golf swing filmed via a video camera. Something I will never do again. When it was played back, what I saw -- what you would have seen -- was not Weiskopf and Marr but a man simultaneously climbing into a sweater and falling out of a tree."
 --Alister Cooke

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2002, 12:00:29 PM »
Is alright.  I know Field Work slang is mine anyway.  

Hmmmm... How about Field Marshall Bandoon ?  I like it.  

A Dicky Daley...  When your ball settles on yesterday's hole location.  (Par 3, 11th at Wild Horse)

11 Miles south of Mullen . . . A critical yardage read.

A Clayman . . .  A no look / no read putt that goes in for a bird.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2002, 12:25:29 PM »
How about a Boab Huntley; a golfing recollection that incorporates the wearing of a pith helmet and the presents on the course of a large wild beast that should be in a zoo! ;D 8)

Surely I don't need to define a "SlagBagger"; but asking to use a handicap registered some time in the previous decade, well... :-/ ::) 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

DMoriarty

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2002, 12:32:49 PM »
Shoot, meant to include Gib.

A Gibber:  An extremely low line drive shot, intentional or unintentional.

A Giblet:  A short, extremly low line drive that may not make  it to the fairway.

A Gib-to-go.  An open can of budweiser on the course.  

A Pa pa pa pa pa pa pa pazian.  If you saw Gib's old swing, you know what I am talking about.  

Thanks for the reminder, Dan.  

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2002, 12:33:55 PM »
Dan, The two times I played the 6th at Pacific Dunes, I was slightly right of it, short of the green, and long left, past the great mammoth hazard.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2002, 12:55:21 PM »
The Gib Blessing:  the mojo voodoo passing of the blade over the ball, behind the ball, over the ball, hooded wisk, hooded wisk, hooded wisk, imaginary coaxing of the ball forward, willing the ball forward, hood, hood, hood, set, waggle, do above all over again, pull trigger with 18" back swing zinger...

I just went nutz thinking and visualizing it again... :P  
I'd rather catch channel catfish with my bare hands.   ;)8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2002, 01:06:38 PM »
Dick, that was hilarious and would fit in well on the JakaB Haiku thread as well.  Have you been reading Jack Kerouac?  He would've been proud to have written that one.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2002, 03:05:56 PM »
Dave;

I must admit that I've been on some overhyped courses where I begin to conceive of "Huntleying" lines as early as the 7th hole.  

I've found that it helps to have a hierarchical structure in mind, and you can (almost) always find something to praise.

Something like the Doak Scale, it goes like this...

10 - Absolutely fabulous world-class course - Praise is unncessary here...just a knowing nod and thank you is enough.

9 - Great course that is just a shade below the very top notch courses - "I really loved the strategies and green complexes out there...is the (unremarkable) 5th hole part of the original design?

8 - Another special place with just a few notable flaws - "Some of the best holes I've seen and I imagine that you normally keep it just a bit firmer during the summer months?"

7 - Lots of high-budget modern courses hit the 4-7 range, but these are among the best - "Rees, or Tom, or Jack, or Tom, or Art really had some wonderful land to work with here and produced a very solid, enjoyable course."

6 - Again a solid design, but perhaps lacking inspiration - "This is certainly a course I'd imagine everyone would enjoy visiting (once a year)."

5 - Generic very good golf course but nothing unique - "This region is fortunate to have such a nice place to play".

4 - Getting into that iffy area where significant adjustments must be made to critical comments - "Are they planning on building more houses here?  It seems that they're doing a lot of building out there, and I'd hate to see them start to detract from such a playable golf course (which they have already)".

3 - Usually has some really annoying design features or other over-the-top distraction in an effort to be Great - "Boy, they sure must have moved a lot of earth to build this course."

2 - Courses that start to get architecturally humorous deserve some witticism in reply - "Our group was really surprised by some of the unique features out there - those blind, well-protected chipping areas take a lot of local knowledge!"

1 - Less than basic golf - "Boy, the weather's been really tough on courses around here this year.  I imagine your superintendent has his hands full, especially trying to grow grass on all of those "links-style mounds"".  

0 - Something that shouldn't have been built - Once again, no comments are necessary here...just a knowing nod and thank you are quite enough.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back