News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

If you could design one hole
« on: December 23, 2002, 05:37:07 AM »
If you could design one hole, which would it be,
A par 3, a par 4 or a par 5 ?  And why ?

And at what length would it play ?  And why ?

And..... would you copy an existing hole  ?
If so, which one ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

ForkaB

Re: If you could design one hole
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2002, 06:01:13 AM »
Short "par" 4.  300-360, depending on which tee played.  Reachable in one for the big hitter (with risk), reachable in two for all but the most infirm.  Probably modelled after the 5th at Dornoch (with the left front bunker moved about 10 yards further left to allow a slot for the big hitter, and the nearly infirm, to get onto the green IF they judge and execute their approach shot perfectly).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Paul Richards

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2002, 06:05:05 AM »
I am sort of partial to agreeing with Rich.  A driveable par 4 is always fun to play.  I can think of many good examples, especially from Morrish/Weiskopf courses, such as at Loch Lomond and from Pete Dye's Blackwolf Run River course.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

allysmith

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2002, 06:47:58 AM »
While fully agreeing with Paul and Rich that a Driveable Par 4 is a 'fun' design I reckon I would like to design a dramatic par 3 as follows.

Probably in the 160 - 185 yard range from an elevated tee over a sea ravaged ravine to a slightly less elevated green.

The green would be open to the vagaries of the wind and sea but be protected by a bank on the windward side of the prevailing gusts.

To protect the golfer from over hitting I would have two fairly deep bunkers at the rear of the green but none at the front.

The green is basically pear shaped, split level with a bias from back to front.

The green will NOT be watered from an automatic system but rather thru a 'wicking effect' into natural aquifers below ground level.

The green size will be a generous 60 yards long, 45 yards wide at the back tapering to 25 yards wide at the front.

Trees will not play a part in order for the golfer to make intelligent club selections. Rough will be thick penal but Short to allow ease of discovery and speed up play.

I am thinking along the lines of an elevated 15th at Kings Barns

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2002, 01:42:26 PM »
Rich & Paul,

I too, would intitially opt for the short par 4 in the 300-320 range.

Shallow green, or a green that plays extremely favorable from the right, severely bunkered short, long and left, open on the right.  The drive would require a heroic carry over sand and unpleasantness down the right side to get the prefered angle into the green, with the safer, shorter drive facing terror on the second shot.  Once on the green, one would still have some work to be done with undulations/tiers.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2002, 01:45:10 PM »
But Patrick....

The first hole at Garden City already exists! ;)  ;D

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2002, 02:49:31 PM »
Mike Cirba,

True, but not with my version of the 1st green at NGLA angled into it.

The existing green is terrific, especially downwind, but, with today's driving distances, a shallower green would be more in line with my hypothetical design.

I would also like to see the 1st at GCGC restored to its original sandy self.

Dan King

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2002, 07:07:40 PM »
If I could design one hole, it would be along the coast. I'm not a big fan of par, but if I had to assign a par to it, I'd call it a par-84.  It's be about a mile or so long. It's probably a copy of some hole in the distant past that a couple of Scottish shepherds played, but I don't think it has been designed in a number of centuries. It would have a number of alternate routes and strange hazards.

Actually I think it is a hole similar to the one Ralph Bingham and Arthur Jukes played for the hand of Amanda Trivett. The hole would even allow for the assistance of autos and boats and animals.

Dan King
"I'll tell you who might know," said Amanda Trivett, after a moments thought.
"Who is that?" I asked.
"My fiancé. He has just come back from a golfing holiday. That's why I'm in town this morning. I've been to meet him. He is very good at golf. He won a medal at Little-Mudbury-in-the-Wold the day before he left."
There was a tense silence. I had the delicacy not to look at Ralph or Arthur. Then the silence was broken by a sharp crack. Ralph Bingham had broken is mashie-niblick across his knee. From the direction of Arthur Jukes was standing there came a muffled gulp.
"Shall I ask him?" said Amanda Trivett.
"Don't' bother," said Ralph Bingham.
"It doesn't matter," said Arthur Jukes.
 --P.G. Wodehouse (The Long Hole)

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2002, 07:10:37 PM »
I would  design a par 5 in the general style of the Lido hole with 4 or more options to give one a lifetime of memories and opportunities for shotmaking.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back