News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

St. Andrews, the Open
« on: August 10, 2005, 07:45:58 PM »
Our UK 2005 trip ended at the Open in St Andrews, a fitting conclusion.  We saw a lot of great golf, saw Tiger intimidating his opponents with that laser stare, and saw Jack's final hurrah at The Old Course.  The Scots do love Jack and the roars on Friday followed him all around the course.

Here he is on the giant TV screen at the beer tents behind #16 green.  Believe or not, many Open attendees don't ever leave that area!  8) Why would they?  There's plenty of beer, a scoreboard close at hand, a place to sit, nearby toilets, and lots of other drunks for entertainment!

Note the standard Swilcan Burn Bridge photo op!

St. Andrews is a wild place during the Open.  The normal population is around 20,000 including students, plus maybe 1,000 tourists.  The Open adds thousands to this number, maybe as many as 20,000 more.  Every room north of Edinburgh is filled, and many ride the train up from the city for the day.  There are queues on the sidewalks outside every restaurant.

But it was a great experience.

There are other joys in St Andrews, particularly for history buffs.  Here are several shots of the ruined cathedral:

This last is Alan Robertson's tombstone in the cathedral grounds.  Note the crossed golf clubs on the side.  Alan is still not talking to Old Tom Morris, buried nearby, about the incident of the gutty on the Old Course!

Sorry there aren't more photos of the Old Course; unfortunately cameras weren't allowed inside the tournament grounds.  (Don't ask me how I got the photo of Jack and his entourage passing by!  ;))

Can't wait to get back to St. Andrews, and we just left!  Oh yes, Mike Benham, the Bellhaven's Best in the Dunvegan pub is just as tasty as ever.  

James Bennett

Re:St. Andrews, the Open
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 07:51:01 PM »
Bill McBride

your photo of Jack captured a special moment.  He looks very happy, as if he hasn't a care in the world.  A delightful moment. :)  Thanks for sharing your trip.
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Marty Bonnar

Re:St. Andrews, the Open
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 12:15:15 PM »
Nice pics, Uncle Bill.
Did anyone else (surely I know I'm not the only saddo around here) notice that Jack wore replica outfits at this Open from all his previous visits. The White shirt and Blue Diamond pullover ensemble was the first one I noticed...nice touch, JN (but we still love Tammy more!)

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back