News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Ross in Asheboro, N.C.
« on: December 24, 2002, 10:51:25 AM »
On a trip to pick up furniture Asheboro, NC in January, I'm going to try to work in a round at Tot Hill Farm (Strantz), which is something of a no-brainer if you're going to Asheboro anyway.

However, there is a listing for a 9-hole course, Asheboro Municipal Golf Course, which is a Donald Ross course that is supposedly relatively the same as when it was built, circa 1936.  Has anyone played this course?  Is it worth the time expenditure on my trip to work in a round there as well?

Thanks for you input.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Austin

Re: Ross in Asheboro, N.C.
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2002, 04:52:28 PM »
Tot Hill Farm is a "no brainer" alright.  You would have to have NO BRAIN to waste your time playing it.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2002, 08:22:22 PM »
A. G.

I wonder if the course you have in mind is the one that could be spotted on the left when travelling down 220 south.  There was one green complex that looked like a volcano.  I often wondered about the rest of the course, for that one green looked challenging.  

As I was always on my way to Southern Pines/Aberdeen/Pinehurst area, I never managed to stop and satisfy my curiosity.

I'm hoping you get a response from someone who's played it and perhaps answer this question.

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

CHrisB

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2002, 09:14:31 PM »
In the years that I lived in Greensboro, NC just north of Asheboro, I never heard a single word about Asheboro Municipal and I never once checked it out.  I played Tot Hill Farm quite a few times and always enjoyed it because (1) it was so incredibly strange and (2) the penalty for missing is often so severe that I was usually able to focus in on the target pretty well and hit it there.  Just don't take your score too seriously.  I always enjoyed playing the semi-private Asheboro CC (designed by the local professional in the 50's), because the greens are pure and the holes are short and fun with good elevation changes.  I'd say check out Asheboro Muni but if you don't feel like playing there then a round at Asheboro CC would be fun.

Steve,
The course on the East side of 220 is Pinewood CC, a Tom Jackson course with some pretty sloping greens but just a slightly above average course by all accounts.

Boo (Guest)

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2002, 01:45:45 PM »
As a huge Stranz fan, let me say that Tot Hill Farmis by far his worst work.  Many hazards are rocks, boulders and rip rap.

I'd suggest making the 45 min drive from Asheboro to Sanford and playing Tobacco Road.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2002, 05:33:54 PM »
Boo,
I've been to Tobacco Rd., and loved it.  Unfortunately, it doesn't fit on this particular trip.  If Tot Hill Farm is the worst Strantz has done, I'll be curious to see it anyway!

Out of curiousity, what was it about the course that you don't like?
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2002, 06:02:05 PM »
A.G. Crockett;

A few weeks ago, I picked up a neat book called "Great Donald Ross Courses You Can Play", by Paul and B.J. Dunn, which is handy in providing short synopses and pics of all known Donald Ross courses open to the public.

According to info listed in that book, the course was built in 1937 by WPA workers and for many years the architectural lineage was unknown.  Evidently, recent research uncovered an old newspaper article and cited Ross as the architect, "an expert at such work who worked at a very nominal figure", as well as Ross's original plans.  Those plans are now proudly in the possession of the city of Asheboro.

Apparently, the course has undergone very little in the way of change, with the exception of tree plantings.  THe course is supposedly hilly, tight, with water coming into play on 3 holes and a "myriad of sand and grass bunkers".  

Let us know if you make it there and what you found.  

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2002, 07:53:43 PM »
Mike,
Thanks for that information.  I'm inspired to make sure I get there now.  It should be in the middle of Jan.;  if I can get any kind of decent weather, I'll play and report back.

Steve Wilson

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2002, 08:01:59 PM »
Chris B

Thanks for the info on the course bordering 220.  Perhaps that one towering green site visible from the road is what makes the course slightly above average.

Mike C,

The Dunn book was on display but not for sale at Bedford Springs in Pa when I played there in September.  It appears Ross did at least three courses as WPA projects, Wilmington, Asheboro, and Mark Twain.  Somehow I doubt that Asheboro is in the same class as the first two.  I know Mark Twain has some great holes and have heard only good things about Wilmington since the restoration.  Does the Dunn book mention any other WPA projects the Good Donald designed?

Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2002, 08:25:04 PM »
Steve;

To be honest, other than a few of the Ross "Hidden Gems" I've played and others I'm interested in playing soon (like Bedford Springs), I haven't really read much of the book in depth yet, so I'm not sure I can answer your WPA question with any accuracy.

If I come upon anything in coming days, I'll start a thread.  Thanks for asking.  See you at Alpine! :)

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2002, 09:13:19 AM »
The Asheboro Municipal course is nicknamed "city" by the locals.  It is a tight, tree-lined par 35 layout.  Its best players typically fare well in local competitions because of its shotmaking requirements.  Its worth your time for a quick nine holes to distinguish its Ross features.  You will find small greens (which are most likely overseeded rye), with several that slope from back to front.  Play the back tees and opt for postion off the tee as many sloped fairways will lead a longer shot into trouble.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back