News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

NAF

Deal-Deserving of another Open Championship
« on: December 27, 2002, 10:42:54 AM »
While Donald Steel said his golfing daydreams revolve around Rye in his book, I admit my British Isles daydreams revolve around Deal (Royal Cinque Ports).  There is a slight wind off "The Downs" and the white cliffs of Ramsgate are visible on the northern horizon. The club recently updated their website and I attached some quotes from some
famous people below from it.  True, you can find effusive praise on many courses but when the Open moves to Sandwich next year I think Deal might come back a bit into the spotlight.  In some ways if only Deal could add300 or so yards I think it would be a more testing venue than Sandwich.
The course is on a spit of land that is much narrower than its neighbor but the finish at Deal is harder than any course I have ever seen especially into the prevailing wind..From the current tees the last 6 holes finish 440, 423, 223, 447,508 (would revert to a long par 4 and is the toughest on the course with that designation), 371, 410...Even without adding yardage to that into the wind and you have the most
testing Open course out there given the character of the holes.  Where Deal is weak for the pros and not for the members is in the front 9 which would need the bulk of the yardage added to it.  Anyway, the course has it all, quirk, the best greens I think in Britain (for quality and speed, not contour), and is one of the most fun to play.
Hopefully, its profile will get raised even higher post the Open as many will play rounds here prior and during the tournament.  There is also a fast train being built from London to Ramsgate which will mean Deal is only 1.5 hrs from London...easier than getting to the Heathlands in London traffic!

Here are the quotes:

Henry Longhurst – Golfer, journalist and broadcaster
"Deal is a fine start at the first but surely the most glorious 19th in all match play golf."

Sir Guy Campbell – Course designer
To play at Deal successfully is to wage a campaign rather then to fight a series of battles. Herein I believe lies its true greatness."

Harry Bannerman – Ryder Cup player 1971
"This is my kind of course. A fast links layout where imagination is so important and the greens, well, just perfect."

Sir Peter Allen – Chairman ICI
"If I had one last round to play on earth it would surely be on the links at Deal."

Jack Nicklaus – Holder of 18 Majors and Open Champion in 1966, 1970,
1978, 1981
"Deal is an outstanding links. To sharpen my game there in preparation for this years Open was a privilege and a delight beyond words."

Gary Player - Open Champion 1959 1968 1974
"I consider the last four holes at Deal to be without doubt, the finest four consecutive holes on any course in the world."

Peter Alliss – Professional Golfer and Broadcaster
"One of my favourite links courses. Straight out and straight back, the inward nine, especially if there is a wind against, is perhaps as formidable as anything in British golf."

All this being said, Deal will is on the rota for the British Amateur and I think is a Walker Cup venue candidate.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Bob_Huntley

Re: Deal-Deserving of another Open Championship
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 12:05:37 PM »
Naffer:

You realize of course that Gary Player has said that about 27 other venues, 6 of which were of his design!

NAF

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 12:12:01 PM »
Very true Mr. Huntley about GP...But I do take Sir Peter Allen's comments to heart as well as other numerous people who get it and are not out to propagandize the course...Of my experiences though on British Links, I have never taken a beating like I have several times I tackled Deal's last 4 holes..The last time I played the back 9,  I went Eagle, par, par, bogey, par and was on my way to a career round until the air came out of the balloon on 15 (double), 16 (double), 17 (par) and 18 (bogey)..and deflated my aspirations..But I still felt exhilirated out there.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

RT (Guest)

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 12:17:04 PM »
I saw NAF's first ever eagle, on 10 that day, and he jumped so high he could see over the sea wall to France.  This was set-up after a collasal drive.

RT

NAF

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2002, 12:22:49 PM »
Perhaps a better luminary than Gary Player.

Bernard Darwin on Deal "‘a truly great course most testing and severe of all championship courses’ of ‘skylarks’ and ‘white cliffs above Pegwell Bay and shipping viewed through the long plate glass windows of the clubhouse"

Russell, I do believe I could have dunked over Shaquille O'Neal at the moment, too bad your camera didnt capture the inspiration of the moment..

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back