News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Wilson

Oakhurst Links
« on: December 26, 2002, 08:17:41 PM »
Forigve me if this has been asked before, but on the Christmas Wish thread Paul Richards (I think) mentioned his experiences at Oakhurst Links.  I have also played there and enjoyed it tremendously.  I wonder how many GCAers have been to this ultimate retro site.  I also wonder if this wouldn't be an excellent place for a gathering sometime.  After all, for the high rollers, it's not that far from the Greenbrier (two miles at most) and the Homestead is only a ridge or two away.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

Paul Richards

Re: Oakhurst Links
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2002, 08:38:54 PM »
Steve:

As I have mentioned before, my visit to Oakhurst Links was one of the most fun rounds I have ever played!  Taking your best crack at the ball, you are lucky to send it 150 yards!!  It is a great time to play at this historic place.
 :)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Steve Wilson

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2002, 08:45:16 PM »
Paul,

I was there in 99 and was both humbled and exhilirated by the challenge.  It made me appreciate how much harder this game was in its infancy.  I pretty much scraped the ball around and had all the flaws in my swing revealed as they were magnified by the beautiful but less graceful implements.  The only thing that worked all days was my putter.  I had five or six one putt greens including a couple of more than 20 feet.  I exhausted my supply of snakes for the year and was able to leave the course with a respectable score and some insight into what the origins of the game were like.  Now if only someone would open a course where we could play featheries....
Some days you play golf, some days you find things.

I'm not really registered, but I couldn't find a symbol for certifiable.

"Every good drive by a high handicapper will be punished..."  Garland Bailey at the BUDA in sharing with me what the better player should always remember.

ChipOat

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 06:09:55 AM »
Will be at The Greenbrier over New Year's.  Weather permitting, I'll be able to give the Treehouse a report.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2002, 07:40:30 AM »
Better call Oakhurst before you go. Last I knew it closed Oct. through March. I try to get there annually to reconnect with all the reasons I play this game. It is truly a fabulous experience. The golf collectors' society has an annual tournament there. It's a great place to go with a few close friends who really understand that golf is a game. Hope it works out over New Years.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

ChipOat

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2002, 12:54:49 PM »
jesplusone:

Thanks for the heads-up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back