News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

A book about Larry Packard golf course architect
« on: December 27, 2002, 11:50:50 AM »
I have never played any course designed by Packard, and didn't recognize many of his courses listed in the appendix. However, he did work on 4 or 5 well-known courses at some point. I just briefly glanced at the book so I don't know how good a read it is. It had a printing run of 500 copies, by Fairlie Press if memory serves. The title is Double Dogleg.... If anyone has seen this book I would be interested in what you thought of it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

RJ_Daley

Re: A book about Larry Packard golf course archite
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2002, 12:23:12 PM »
Ed, I would love to see the book or buy it.  Packard's work is very prevalent in my home area of Wisconsin.  My home course (apart from Wild Horse  ;) ) is an Ed Larry Packard design that I'd be proud to show to any of our GCA critiques with their descerning eyes. 8)  I'll start checking around for that book, but if you know a short-cut I can take to a web site, or if you know that one of the book stores like Waldens or Borders has it, let me know.

I think ELP's bunkers are utilitarian in that they are always well balanced and proportioned and while some would say not overly artistic - being usually open and gapping in appearance - they are very much an integral part of the course strategy tee to green and are not displeasing to look at.  The are maintenance friendly.  The greenside bunkers are well balanced in slopes with a near equal proportion of bunker faces, lips and slopes slanting into the green and away from the greens.  Packard's routing over rolling terrain of the dairyland with good use of trees and patches of woods is always natural and clever with somewhat minimally excavated construction.  IMHO ELP built some of the most comfortable day in and day out enjoyable good old golf courses in our area.  His son Roger joined him in the 60s and I heard a grandson is following in the family tradition.  Roger was working a lot with Andy North for a time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ed_getka

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2002, 06:04:08 PM »
RJ,
 Do a google search for Airlie Hall Press and look in the bookstore section. The book is Double Doglegs and other Hazards... by Mickey Rathbun
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Gary Smith (Guest)

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2002, 07:22:40 PM »
Not germane to topic question, but I think Roger Packard was the gentleman who did the very substantial renovation of Medinah #3 back in the mid 80s, as part of the club's campaign to get the Open. The short 17th he did was done away with in the 90s in time for the '99 PGA, and now I believe the club is going back or has gone back to a lakeside setting similiar to where Packard originally put it.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2002, 07:43:08 PM »
Gary, it is my understanding that most of Ed Larry Packard's work at Medinah was on #2.  #1, the ladies course may have been tweaked by ELP, but still retains much of Bendelow.  I think you are referring to Roger Rulwich's work on #3 at the 17th.  Also, collegues of Packard's from the Chicago Gang, Killian and Nuggent, did some work on #3.  When I was there for the 99 PGA, I thought that the par 3 (I forget if it is about #7 or 8) had bunker proportions in relation to green size and their shapes that screamed of the influence that RB Harris had on all these proteges that include Killian, Nuggent and ELP.  But, I am pretty sure that #2 is the major work there done by ELP, either with or without Roger.  

Perhaps Jeff Brauer can jump in and clear some of this up.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Gary Smith (Guest)

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2002, 08:26:19 PM »
RJ,

Roger Rulewich did do the renovations at Medinah #3 in the '90s, in time for the '99 PGA. One of his renovations was moving the 17th green up the hill, away from the lake.

I'm sure Roger Packard was involved in the mid '80s renovations at #3, as I was at the trophy presentation following the '88 Senior Open, and he was at the dais, and was introduced to the crowd by the USGA bluecoat as the man responsible for redoing #3. (that redo included a whole new 17th and 18th, with the previous 16th and 17th becoming the 12th and 13th of today.

Unless I'm mistaken, the Rulewich 17th green location up the hill has now or is going to be moved back down near the lake where Packard had it. (with a softer slope to the green than Packard had done)

Paul Richards

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2002, 08:44:45 AM »
ed:  

"Double-dogleg" was another of my Christmas gifts.  I have a HUGE stack of books since so many here on GCA gave such great recommendations.  Just leafed through it so far, but I will be happy to provide more once I get to spend some time with it!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2002, 09:31:24 AM »
Paul,
 Enjoy your Xmas bounty and I will look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Packard book and others.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back