News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Cateechee
« on: July 14, 2005, 06:48:33 PM »
I know that Cateechee, in Hartwell, GA, is known to a number of you, but I was there yesterday for the second time and wanted to put in a word for the course for any of you that might be travelling in either the Atlanta, Athens, or Greenville/Spartanburg areas.

For those of you that aren't familiar with Cateechee, it is the work of Mike Young, a frequent contributor here on GCA.  The course is 8 years old, public, uncrowded, wonderfully scenic, and an Audubon and wildlife sanctuary.  The beauty of the place is second to none, I assure you.

In my view, the last 5 holes make up as good a finishing stretch as I've ever seen.  
#14  a mid-length par 4, slight dogleg left, fairway sloping slightly right, large hump in the fairway along the left side, with a green running away to the right.  If the drive isn't far enough out and right, the shot in is semi-blind, but it is visually difficult to throw the tee ball out to the right.  Wonderful strategic design elements.  

#15  A wonderful short par 4 (305/278), slightly uphill.  It has a split fairway, with the two fairways on different levels.  The direct route makes the hole driveable if you kill it off the tee, but that path is heavily bunkered, and the green will be 10' or so above you.  The upper fairway is very generous, but you are left with a partial wedge to a green that has a lot of contour.  Just a great strategic hole.

#16  A reverse Redan par 3 (178/150), and the drop-offs around the green are severe.  Easy to hit the front of the green, but the back left pin position is a thriller, either to attack or to putt to from the front.

#17  A monster par 5 (628/616).  When you stand on the tee, the green is visible, but looks like another zip code.  Landing area really narrows down at around 250 from the tee, and left is death.  The landing area for the second shot has two steep-faced diagonal fairway bunkers to force most players to layup at around 160 or 170.  The third shot was the highlight of my day; I could only see the top of the flag from behind the bunkers; my 6-iron ended up a foot away for a 4.  (I think I had a BIG number the first time I was there two years ago from trying to overwhelm the hole.)

#18  An excellent finishing par 4 at 397/394.  A hard dogleg right, with a tree guarding the corner forcing you to turn the ball if you want to be inside 150.  If you go straight out, you can easily hit through the fairway into either of two very difficult fairway bunkers on the outside of the dogleg.

Wonderfully contoured greens, highly affordable, beautiful conditions.  Get there if you can; any extra driving you do will be well worth it, I assure you.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 06:50:56 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Michael Whitaker

Re:Cateechee
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 07:37:02 PM »
AG - I totally agree with your comments. Cateechee is an outstanding layout and loads of fun to play. Plus, they're always running some kind of "internet special" on their website. We took a group of twelve players over to Cateechee on the 4th of July and played for $35 each... including cart... including unlimited range access!!! Only in America! It is virtually impossible to walk because of the severe terrain and they must use gas powered carts because of the hills between some of the holes, but other than that it it suits me just fine. It has one of my favorite shots in golf... the second on #4 to the skyline green. I've got a photo of that shot somewhere. If I can find it I will post it on this thread.

If you like Cateechee wait until you see Arrowhead Point. I understand you are playing there soon as well. I'm looking forward to your reaction. By the way... they've got some comfortable (and very affordable) cabins at Arrowhead Point that would make great long-weekend outing accommodations, spliting your playing time between Cateechee and A.P.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 11:52:35 PM »
View from 18th fairway.

Second shot on 18 with view of clubhouse.

View of second shot on 4 with skyline green.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2005, 07:06:15 AM »
#4 feels like the top of the world, which was a huge surprise to me the first time I played Cateechee.  I was expecting something much flatter; the elevation changes are spectacular.  #4 is one of those holes that if you hit it at the pin, you can convince yourself that it might be really, really close!  At least until you get up there...
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 09:51:37 AM »
Agreed on Cateechee. A first rate course by Mr. Young that gets much less attention than it deserves. That will change. I think it is the best course in the area.

I am looking forward to the completion of Madison Downs, Mike's new course in Madison, Ga. It should open next spring/summer. I have walked it twice and it's got one good hole after another. The massive punch bowl 220 yard par three 17th is incredible. I've not seen anything like it in the US, though it's got several Scottish predecessors. (My only quibble is with the 16th that runs along a lake. It seems out of character with the rest of the course.)

Mike has a no-frills style, a sort of a Raynor/Ross look. No fancy bunker edgings, minimal "landscaping". What sets his stuff apart, I think, is the "verticality" of his features. Madison is built on gently rolling land, but there is a "depth" to the course's contouring. Bunkers, swales, ridges feel big and deep. Not unlike the way bunkers feel big and deep at Merion, though Mike's have a very different look. No Fazioesque eye candy. None. For that reason his courses may appeal initially to more sophisticated architectural tastes. Regulars on GCA will like Madison Downs as soon as they pull through the entrance. The rest of the world may need some time to disgest it.

I am looking forward to opening day.

Bob    
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 05:22:15 PM by BCrosby »

john_stiles

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 10:16:22 AM »
The greens are very interesting and the course is a lot of fun to play.

I would echo all the observations (and nice words) about Cateechee by Whitaker, Crockett, and Crosby.

Steve Lang

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2005, 10:26:05 AM »
 8)

when i visited a friend in greeneville, sc the first place he wanted to take me to play was to cateechee, fairly short drive.. very much fun, but lots of hard walking there! .. second venue was to be clemson.. but time didn't permit..

« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 10:27:44 AM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2005, 10:29:34 AM »
Another Cateechee memory...

Mike Young (Green Shirt) and Bob Crosby (Blue Vest) enjoy some of the fine fare at Cateechee's grill.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2005, 10:33:33 AM »
Steve - if you walked Cateechee you are a better man than I (which, now that I think about it, is not too hard!). I enjoy walking as much as the next guy, but I would NEVER walk Cateechee... not unless someone had a MedEvac copter standing by!!!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2005, 10:34:07 AM by Michael Whitaker »

Steve Lang

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2005, 01:23:24 PM »
 8)

only about 60% of it..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Mike_Young

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2005, 08:52:17 AM »
Michael W,
Gosh that Crosby guy is ugly...That is John Stiles on the left and sorry but who is the fourth...do you know?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back