News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Sneddon

Kenwood CC - Cincinnati
« on: July 11, 2005, 12:50:58 PM »
Played this course the other week a a practice round for the USGA Sr Am Qualifier to be held there in August.

Beautiful course on some really good land.  Architect was Bill Diddel, built in 1928 and opened for play in 1930.  At first I thought I was playing a Ross - it is very close to his style.  The bunkering was flat with a usually steep grass face.  Sand was some of the best i'd ever played out of.

The greens were fast and very firm, with tremendous interior contour.  I took a couple of practice putts of no more than 35feet which had 12 feet of break.

Apparently Diddel was a founding member of the AsGCA, a contemporary of Ross and Thompson.
There is an excellent page of his life at:
http://ronkerngolfarch.com/bildidas.html

Kenwood CC:
 http://www.kenwoodcc.com
click on Courses/Kendale then use the drop down menu to view individual holes.
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

JLahrman

Re:Kenwood CC - Cincinnati
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 04:26:05 PM »
David, qualifying is on the Dale?

David Sneddon

Re:Kenwood CC - Cincinnati
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 10:35:12 PM »
JAL:

That is what the Director of Golf told us.  Playing from the Back tees, not the Championship apparently - around 6700yds.

Has anyone else played this course or any other of Diddel's designs in the mid-west?????
Give my love to Mary and bury me in Dornoch

JLahrman

Re: Kenwood CC - Cincinnati
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 01:57:01 PM »
Bringing this'un back up,

Kenwood will be hosting an LPGA event this week as the Tour returns to Cincinnati.

I believe there has been a fair amount of rework to the Kenwood courses since this post way back in 2005.

Anyone planning to go to the event? I would assume they'll be playing Kendale?

https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/kroger-queen-city-championship/overview

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 09:53:08 AM »
The only 2 courses that I still need to play within an hour of Cincinnati. I believe both courses were renovated not too far in the distant past. Is one course quite a bit hillier than other?
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 10:38:52 AM »
The only 2 courses that I still need to play within an hour of Cincinnati. I believe both courses were renovated not too far in the distant past. Is one course quite a bit hillier than other?

Rich, one of my brothers worked in the bag shop there for a couple of years way back when, but I don't have much experience there myself. I believe Kendale is the longer, less hilly course that I would expect would be used for the LPGA event. Kenview is shorter and hillier. But TBH I've played a total of 27 holes there - I think I played the full Kenview course and the front 9 of Kendale - but it's been probably 25 years. Damn I'm old. And like I said I believe there has been some restoration work so even if my memory wasn't crap I'm not sure I'll recognize much if I catch the highlights!

Steve Kohler

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 04:36:01 PM »
The Kendale course (the one the LPGA will play) received a multi-million dollar facelift in 2020/2021.  Extensive work was done across the property including tree removal, bunker and tee rebuilding and even moving some greensites.  Visually, it checks all the boxes of the current en vogue style of course renovation: bunker shaping, green-to-tee transitions, etc.  The land and routing is mostly unremarkable though and doesn't introduce many moments of excitement or suspense.  The club has also had some grow-in and maintenance issues getting the course to tournament condition.

Kenview is the other course and has not gone under the knife yet.  It is clearly the lesser of the courses on property.  It's routed across some extreme terrain that makes for some very odd holes.  It's actually a fairly tight property for 2 courses and in an alternate universe the land would be refashioned into 27 quality holes.  Kenwood has a huge clubhouse and bustling social scene, so the golf has to compete for attention and resources among its many amenities.

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 10:13:37 PM »
Thanks Steve,

You're obviously more knowledgeable about Kenwood than I am, but I know it is perhaps the most complete country club in the area given all its amenities.

It's also probably the best-positioned logistically to host an event with crowds given the second course and the close proximity to I-71.

I'll be interested to see how the event goes. The LPGA Championship was held at the old Jack Nicklaus Sports Center back in the 1970s and 80s, and they had a Senior/Champions Tour in Cincinnati for quite a few years but I bet it's been 20 years since that ended.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2022, 11:38:04 AM »
I have never played either course, but I have driven by them many times. It has always looked pretty cool from the interstate. I always imagine it as having Cascades type features in the middle of a city. Maybe one day I will take the time to look closer. Bill Diddel did the original design, and I have played a ton of his courses living in Indiana. I always felt like this could be some of his best work judging from the pictures.

JLahrman

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2022, 08:48:09 AM »
Some first round highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjJVMgelctU

Not knowing the course well at all, all I can really say is that the tree clearing appears to have been extensive!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back