News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Pevoto

Golf Course Photography
« on: December 14, 2002, 10:46:20 AM »
Here's one for Matt Ward.  ;)

By the spring or early summer, our new place (French Creek Golf Club) should be largely ready for photos to be taken of the mostly completed course.  Does anyone have recommendations for a photographer?  

Obviously, budget is a factor, but I'd like to consider as many options as possible here in the early going.  

Prior to construction, we had a gentleman named Tim Rice come out and take landscape shots.  He's a past winner of the Eisentstaedt Award, is very much a craftsman, and the black and whites he did are impressive.  He's definitely a strong consideration for taking the completed course shots.  In many ways, I like the fact he brings a non-golf background to the table.

Any thoughts on advantages to hiring a "golf course photographer" versus any others?

Recommendations and advice is welcomed.  Post on-line, instant message, or contact me at epevoto@frenchcreekgolf.com  

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

Tim Weiman

Re: Golf Course Photography
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2002, 11:32:43 AM »
Eric:

Three well known American golf course photographers whose work you can sample are Larry Lambrecht, John Henebry and Joann Dost.

All three have done lots of work. Larry travels widely but is based in New England. I think he did work for the USGA at Bethpage. Bill Quirin's "America's Linksland, A Century of Long Island Golf" includes many of Larry's pictures.

John Henebry did the pictures for the Steve Wynn/Tom Fazio book on Shadow Creek, perhaps the best modern documentation of a golf course I've seen.

Joann Dost is best known for her picture of the Lone Cypress, but when I last saw her I insisted that her picture of #11 at Pacific Dunes might be the single best golf hole picture Ive ever seen. Even John Henebry, not one to shy away from challenge, admitted Joann's picture would be tough to top.

As for budget, I really don't know what you should expect but I think it is a pretty small fraternity and all the leading players charge about the same.

From the little I saw of French Creek, the property seems pretty dramatic. It would be a shame not to capture it with a world class golf photographer and do so before any real estate development intrudes.

cindy

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2002, 12:18:32 PM »
Robert Walker is simply the best!!!

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2002, 12:31:16 PM »
Eric:

I'll do it and I'm quite competitively priced. You're a lucky man because I didn't actually throw my wife's camera (the only one I use at the moment) into the bay at Kittanset! I've figured out how to turn it on and I'm pretty sure I can work it but if not I certainly will have figured it out when your time comes!

Forget about that fellow Price and his black and whites. I believe my wife's camera can actually do photos in color--can you believe it? It's amazing where all this technology is taking us, don't you think?

wsmorrison

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2002, 12:42:04 PM »
Tom,

Is that digital camera you got gonna be like my treadmill?  At least I can hang clothes on my treadmill.  As I have the same digital camera, I must say the instruction book is nearly worthless.  Can't a Japanese company the size of Olympus hire someone that actually speaks English to write their English version manual?  It would seem they used the cheapest translation program they could find.

Your mission, Tom, should you decide to accept it, is to take at least one good picture that will be used in our Flynn book.  I know you can do it!  

By the way, 2:1 that your wife's camera is smashed to the ground at some point in frustration.

Regards,
Wayne
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:12 PM by -1 »

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2002, 01:10:51 PM »
Tim, cindy:  Thanks.  You're right Tim, it would be a shame.  

As for real estate development, it is very limited in scope immediately around the property, and if goes as planned I think could enhance the environment.  Think of the number of top courses with homes on the property.  But that's a discussion for another thread.

Tom and Wayne,

One instance where technology has helped, though the b & w are beautiful for certain purposes.

I do believe the top three items on the syllabus for Photography 101 are: 1) Turning on the camera, 2)  Working the camera, and 3) Self control and learning not to throw the camera.  Talk about action photography!   Tom, what does a guy who doesn't like visual direction on a golf course look for in golf course photos?

I've taken hundreds of digitals of the course in the last 8 or 9 months.  Some have been good, but I certainly trust the eye of a trained photographer more than mine.  Is the resolution of a shot taken with a 4.1 pixel rate high enough for high quality printing?

Don't stop now with the ideas!  Keep 'em coming.

Thanks,
Eric

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2002, 01:27:54 PM »
Eric,  For a different avenue to ponder . . .  check out

www.handpaintedphotography.com      (Click on GALLERY  link)

(I was actually looking for a fellow to tell you about that specializes in landscapes but I couldn't remember his name and found this.  The idea is the same though.)

TEPaul

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2002, 01:34:57 PM »
Look Eric, I'll take the photos and they should be world class but if you're going to give me a photography 101 class don't start by throwing around words like digital, 4:1 pixel rates and particularly 'syllabus'. That sounds like a sci-fi movie where a big laser beam is trying to destroy the Earth!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2002, 04:53:31 PM »
Joanne Dost is a must. Her photograph of the 15th at Cypress Point is, in my opinion, one of  the greatest shots of a hole., ever.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2002, 06:19:56 PM »
Eric,

You may want to consider Jim Krajicek.

You can see examples of his work at www.krajicekgolfphotos.com

His photos of Bethpage Black graced the covers (& interiors) of Links Magazine and The Met Golfer for their pre-Open issues.

He is resonably priced and outstanding! I am using him for a book project of mine and so my recommendation is based on my own actual use of his work!

His contact info is on his web-site.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2002, 01:47:20 AM »
Mike Houska of Dog-leg Studios is a hard working and talented fellow. You may catch him back east -- (800) 574-4497.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

sjensen

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2002, 08:10:27 AM »
Eric:

Bill Kittleman......you should see the photo's he did when he was at Merion!

Steve Lang

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2002, 08:37:51 AM »
:)

Hi Eric,

Since your note in early Nov about missing the 70 degree weather in fall down here, hate to say it, its been even better so far in first half of Dec.. Also, you'll have to check out Timber Creek in Friendswood as well as Magnolia Creek we discussed, when you return.  Will be 70+ for next three days..  

Anyway.. while I certainly don't discount the value that an established professional photographer brings, especially if you have the budget for such, I'd advise you to open it up to amateurs too.  No knock on any of the names being offered by others.  Within my present and past companies, the photographic works and skills of those who view photography as an avocation are really pretty good.  I've seen some amazing shots come out of company competitions.  

While you can't have a hundred folks out there on an open "shoot" you might be able to have a dozen or so, with assignments to capture morning, day and twilight scenes.

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2002, 07:16:22 PM »
Eric-
I think that Mr Rice's initial photos of the land were nicely done.

I don't have any photographer advise, but I'm wondering
if you have any thought yet as to which holes a photographer
will be drawn to? #15 certainly has to be on of them.

John Morrissett

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2002, 06:34:57 AM »
I'll strongly second Cindy's thoughts on Robert Walker -- there is no one better (or as good).

He is that very rare person -- an excellent photographer who knows a lot about golf.  Just ask Ben Crenshaw -- Robert is one of the few shooters who can carry on an interesting conversation with Ben during a shoot.  In addition to personal, tournament, and architectural photos, Robert has done more than his share of landscape/golf course pictures for various books, publications, and golf clubs for their own use.  Take a look at his web site www.walkerpix.com for some examples.

Plus, as a licensced architect, he brings an interesting perspective.

But, then again, I'm a bit biased -- we hired Robert for our wedding!

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2002, 06:44:06 AM »
Has anyone mentioned Mike Klemme of Enid ,Ok.  Mike published the book "View from the Rough" several years ago and IMHO is the best.   www.golfoto.com is his website.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Morrissett

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2002, 06:57:27 AM »
P.S.  To give you an idea about Robert Walker, I believe he is the only person (professional photographer or not) who has been allowed to photograph the locker room at Seminole.

Mike Klemme

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2002, 07:14:31 AM »
Eric,

I would be interested in learning more about your project. I have been shooting courses for the past twenty years. I have photographed over 900 courses in 40 countries for a variety of developers, ad agencies and magazines. I am also a member of the Golf Magazine panel to select the top 100 in the word, US and Places you can play. Please have a look at my website, www.golfoto.com. I will look forward to learning more about your project.

Mike Klemme
Here's one for Matt Ward.  ;)

By the spring or early summer, our new place (French Creek Golf Club) should be largely ready for photos to be taken of the mostly completed course.  Does anyone have recommendations for a photographer?  

Obviously, budget is a factor, but I'd like to consider as many options as possible here in the early going.  

Prior to construction, we had a gentleman named Tim Rice come out and take landscape shots.  He's a past winner of the Eisentstaedt Award, is very much a craftsman, and the black and whites he did are impressive.  He's definitely a strong consideration for taking the completed course shots.  In many ways, I like the fact he brings a non-golf background to the table.

Any thoughts on advantages to hiring a "golf course photographer" versus any others?

Recommendations and advice is welcomed.  Post on-line, instant message, or contact me at epevoto@frenchcreekgolf.com  

Thanks.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2002, 07:52:38 AM »
Wow!  Lots of good and varied advice; thanks for all.

Steve Lang,

Ahh...the thought of 70 degree weather in December.  Just sorry that we'll spend this holiday season in PA.  We alternate years in the spirit of domestic harmony.  I hope to check out those mentioned when I get down there.

Again, thank you all.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2002, 11:14:49 AM »
I had been meaning to suggest Robert Walker as well.  Just go to his web site (linked above) to see his wonderful work.  Good story on his Brooks Robinson pic.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2002, 12:35:44 PM »
Eric:

As for knowing golf, Joanne Dost played on the LPGA Tour for a few years.

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2002, 07:45:32 AM »
Bob Huntley,

Joann Dost's work in the Pebble Beach book is certainly some of the most beautiful and impressive I've seen.    

Craig,

You're right about #15.  I started to list the others, but found myself including just about all.  ;D  There are some that don't seem to lend themselves to photos.  #12 is an example; very low profile, not a lot showing.  

If we get a break in the weather, come out.  You haven't seen the front loop (4-8 ).  The fifth looks to be a really dramatic, fun little uphill 130 yarder.   Happy holidays.

Tim Weiman

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2002, 07:59:45 AM »
Eric Walker:

Not to hijack your thread or knock other very qualified candidates (Mike Klemme included), but once again I'll plug Joann Dost.

As Bob Huntley suggests, Joann is real golf person. She would be high on my list if Augusta National wants to admit women, do so with a real golfer and someone fun to be with socially.

Best of luck.

Tim Weiman

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2002, 08:00:49 AM »
Eric:

Sorry. I meant Eric Pevoto.

RobertO4653

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2002, 09:45:30 AM »
Eric

Most of the photographers mentioned are quite good, the one I would recommend is John Johnson he has won several awards, he is also the only photographer in the bunch to have every one of his pictures used in the USGA Calendar "1997". He has had his pictures used in every USGA Calendar since. John is also one of the best at getting more bang for your buck, as he has one several national awards for not only best Golf Photographer of the year, but also best Web designer, best marketing company, etc. As you can see John would be able to provide you with a multiple of services.
Check out his web site at www.golfmarketing.biz and or www.golfphotos.com

Happy Holidays

Robert

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back