News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

Favorite hole on Pacific and Bandon Dunes?
« on: December 15, 2002, 07:47:55 PM »
What is your favorite hole on Pacific Dunes and on Bandon Dunes and why?  I'll be heading to Bandon next June and can't wait to play these two.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

ian

Re: Favorite hole on Pacific and Bandon Dunes?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2002, 08:52:27 PM »
Pacific Dunes is easy for me. The short par four 6th, it's Tom's version of Cypress Point's 9th hole; and the hole is just as good. There are many other great holes too, but I talked Don Pleasac into playing it three times in one day. It is simply one of my favourites I have ever played.

My favourite at bandon is the 4th, I love the slow build from the tee to the green. You hear the ocean from the tee (but can't see it because of the dunes), and play a precission tee shot through the dunes. Walking up the fairway and anticipating the view of the ocean from the landing area. Seeing the green out on the cliffs with the coastline in the distance and the huge breaking surf below makes for a thrill. The shot is tough with the wind blowing towards the trouble. Fun stuff.

Enjoy you trip.

bakerg (Guest)

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2002, 06:43:32 AM »
Absolutely the 4th at Bandon is the best hole out there in my opinion.  I just love the build up to it.  You hit a nice iron to the opening of the mounds and just listen to the sound of the ocean crashing into the shore as you approach the shot.  I just love it.  I also like 17 from the Owner's tee box.

Pacific.  I love 13.  When you are on that green the only thing you can hear is the ocean.  Nothing else.  It is awesome.  

Jim_H

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2002, 07:44:14 AM »
The 18th at Pacific Dunes--the most outstanding bunkering I have seen in the US.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2002, 07:47:14 AM »
Pacific Dunes 2nd.  It's the most beautiful, the way the fairway pitches and rolls.  Lovely green too, set in a kind of bowl with all kinds of curves.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2002, 08:22:40 AM »
JimmyVA:

Let me answer your question this way -- the best holes at both courses usually come in tandems.

I really like the 5th and 6th at Bandon -- into the wind these are two of the most demanding holes you will play ANYWHERE!
The 5th is a superb long par-4 that runs along the Pacific and has all the options you can ever ask for. There is great reward, but the potential for a major league number on the scorecard exists. When you sit in the fairway and see the "long narrow tunnel" that guards the approach you must then decide if you are capable in handling the immense challenge.

The 6th, is a dynamic long par-3 that calls for control and appropriate length. Even if you play both holes downwind, likely in the winter months, these two holes never disappoint.

On Pac Dunes I agree with Ian about the 6th and would also add the hole that follows. The 7th is a gem of long par-4 and since both holes go in opposite directions you are sure to face the wind in some manner. The 7th requires a well placed tee shot and it's critical that the player deal with the rolls and bounces of the fairway -- great stuff indeed! The putting surface is also well contoured and requires a good deal of thought back in the fairway.

Play these back-to-back holes on both courses and you will be tested to deliver high quality shotmaking.

Enjoy your time there -- it's a trip to Mecca indeed!

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2002, 09:05:40 AM »
I agree with Jim H., the bunkering on 18 (which is my little picture to the left) is spectacular, blew it up and hung it above my desk.

Fav Holes: Bandon 4 and 16.
Pacific: 7, 16, 17, 18.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2002, 01:10:35 PM »
AH, Pac dunes...what a place.  #2 is great.  #5 and #6 are great.  I love 7, it is darn tough.  8 is a great hole.  #9 is the hole that surprised me the most, what a tee shot.  If this hole doesn't embody the spirit of links golf then I'm Tommy N.  #13 really is beautiful and spectacular.  #14 is beautifully rugged and #15 also possesses great bunkering  I agree with the guy who commented on the bunkering onb 18.  It is absolutely stunning.  I must go back soon

Bandon; I like Bandon.  But I liked the holes early on more than anything.  It is only my personal opinion but I don't see the deal with #4.  I guess my problem is that the bunkering on both 4 and 12 seem redundant.  I liked 1, 2, and the tee shot on #3 a lot.  I also really like 7 and 8.  The greensite on 7 is dramatic.  The views are great.  It may only be me, but Pac is head and shoulders better.    
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tim Weiman

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 01:24:25 PM »
Jimmy:

My feelings about Pacific Dunes are in line with mdugger. There are many holes one could chose. Though I wouldn't call the hole my favorite, I do think the approach shot on #8 is really interesting. I could go out there and replay the shot for a couple hours and never get bored.

I have walked but not played Bandon, thanks to a hand injury during my one visit. However, the course does have one special treat worth noting: the view from the 17th tee. It might be the perfect place to fantasize about where you would like to build another course.....sorry it will never happen.....at least that's what I'm told.

Doug Wright

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2002, 06:11:26 PM »
JimmyVA,

Pacific Dunes #6. The huge blowout bunker to the left of the green and the greensite are superb. Honourable mentions: All the rest of the holes  ;D  

Bandon Dunes #15. I love this short par 3 that plays back towards the ocean. Great greensite, fearsome bunker front right.

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matt Schulte

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2002, 10:04:35 PM »
BANDON:
I have always been a fan of the tee shot on #3.  This may be a big stretch but for some reason it feels a little bit like #1 at Sand Hills.  I was also nodding along with those of you who sited the "build up" to turning the corner on 4.  I think the changes to number 5 have dramatically softened the hole.  They removed too much of the trouble both in the fairway and around the green.  That used to be a real decision depending on your drive.  Now, I see no reason not to go for the green.  I have also always loved #14.  For those who can't over power this hole.  The fairway bunkering provides several options of the tee.

PACIFIC:
WOW!  The tee shots on 2, 3, and 4 are all thrilling.  I think the greensite for #5 is PHENOMINAL.  It is especially fun with a front pin position by using the slope to the left.  The bunkering down the left side of #7 is a thing of beauty, but not quite as beautiful as a 4 on your scorecard on that demanding hole.  #11 is sublime.  Anyone who thinks a par 3 must be long to be demanding should study this hole...closely. In three rounds, I saw 0 of 12  balls find that green.  It measures 148 yards.  Good stuff.  #13 offers as thrilling a second shot as you will find.  #18 as stated offers more eye popping bunkering.  A great risk reward tee shot.

Oh, sorry!  You asked for only one each.  I would be surprised if you didn't have the same problem after your experience.  ENJOY!  

Matt_Ward

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2002, 08:18:29 AM »
Matt Schulte:

Can you elaborate on how things have "softened" at #5? Was there a major shift in thinning out the high fescue grass that formed sort a tunnel effect for the last 100 yars or so to the green?

I was told there have been changes made to the 6th green.

I played both in their original form and I would hope these "changes" have not altered either of the holes in a detrimental manner.

Any comments from anyone familiar is appreciated. Thanks. ;)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2003, 07:42:44 PM »
I guess the reason I liked Pacific Dunes better is the overall greater memorability of Pac Dunes vs Bandon.  I can recall every hole at Pacific in detail but get hazy about many at Bandon.  I thought the tee shot on #4 was fabulous, but my favorite hole was #11.  Matt Schulte says it's 148 yds, could be, but I hit 4-iron on the green the first time we played it, into maybe a 4 club wind.  Cliff in front and left, bail out bunkers to the right, little bunker to the left which looks like it's been there for 50 years.  What a par 3!

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2003, 09:59:39 AM »
I've yet to play the courses, can't wait until next June.... but from the photos that I've seen, #13 on Pacific Dunes looks incredible.  It looks like it has it all, a demanding tee shot, the dunes down the entire right hand side with the Pacific on the left.  And the huge dune to the right hand side of the green, it looks like a demanding and beautiful hole.  

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2003, 12:19:59 PM »
I also like the tee shot on #3 at Bandon.  Great view of most of the course.  A big carry to the fairway, also.  I also feel #14 is underrated.  #17, too.  #11 into the summer wind is a bear.

I like the options for the approach to #8 at Pacific when the pin is on the right.  Tee shot on #9 into a driving rain is a beyatch.  Terrific bunkering on all of the par 5's.  Love the Redan effect on #17 and watching my partner hit one out to the right and watching it bounce and roll all the way across the green.  

I'll probably get blasted for this, especially considering Ran's love of Westward Ho!, but the fairway on #16 turned me off for some reason.  I realize the natural mounds were already there, but to me, it looked fake!  They looked too perfect, too rounded, and to steal from Hannibal Lecter, too random.

Matt Schulte

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2003, 11:08:28 AM »
Matt Ward:

Yes, on #5 they thinned out some of the fescue grass along the "tunnel" through the last 100 yards.  To the west of the green the sodded some of the bank.  They also thinned out the grasses in the middle of the fairway around the little scotch pines.  Unless you are playing into a severe summer headwind those patches in the middle of the fairway aren't really in play.  

On #6 they have added a sod faced bunker in the front left of the green complex.  They have also flattened the slope to the right of the green.  Added much sod to provide a large bailout area to the right.  Certainly makes the hole MUCH more playable for the average player.  But it isn't  frightening like it was when it opened.  

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2003, 11:32:38 AM »
I've played Bandon 10 times and Pac 6 times and return there annually.  Of the 36 holes, there are only a few that aren't just plain wonderful.  There are many 'best' holes out there.  My only worry with both courses continues to be the pace of play.  I have played Bandon in 5hrs and 45min, which is simply intolerable.  As both are fairly stern walking courses the challenge to the Bandon management will continue to be getting folks around at a pace that won't sour the special golfing experience.

JC

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2003, 12:10:58 PM »
If I must pick one hole at PD I think that I will choose #2.  Short par 4 absolutely full of indecision.

As for Bandon, I haven't seen #7 mentioned so what the heck.  The seventh offers a wide open shot to the right off of the tee. However, hidden to the left is a broad landing area which allows a straighter shot into the green.  The hole itself plays east or back inland.  For this reason the second shot plays across either the northerly or southerly breeze.  To hold the green and then have a putt for birdie is a rare event.  

Have a great time!  It would be an easier task to discus the bad holes at either of these course because there are far fewer of those.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back