News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Buie

Re: Grove Park Inn
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »

BCrosby

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:55 AM »
Perhaps it has been mentioned, but GPI was bought recently by a private equity fund. As I recall they plan to invest $25MM in upgrades. The press release I saw did not specify if some of that money would go towards the golf course.

GPI is a terrific place. I hope it retains its old historical charm.

Bob

Ed Oden

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2014, 12:16:59 AM »
I stumbled across a couple of articles from 1923-24 relating to Ross at what is now the Grove Park Inn course (formerly Asheville Country Club) while looking for something entirely different.  I remembered this old thread, so thought I would post them here.  Both articles are large pieces on Asheville generally, so I have cropped them down to the relevant portions in order to make the images readable.  The first is from the June 24, 1923 Charlotte Observer...

The second is from the June 8, 1924 Richmond Times Dispatch...

Both articles credit Ross with laying out the course.  The first can be read to imply that he did so in roughly 1913, although that certainly isn't clear.  While I don't think these articles are necessarily dispositive, they tend to support the Inn's position that Ross designed the course.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 12:18:55 AM by Ed Oden »

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:40 AM »
Ed:

My read of the first article is that it is suggesting Ross laid out the course "over 20 years ago" or around 1903, not 1913.  I do not think that was the case.

As for the second article, it seems to be giving Ross credit for "laying out" the course due to his having lengthened it.  This was during a time when the Ross name was a bit of a marketing weapon.

Sven

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Howard Riefs

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
I didn't realize that the Grove Park Inn course was previously known as Asheville Country Club. 

It's also interesting that Ross is also credited for having "designed and built" the similarly named Country Club of Asheville in 1928. 

http://www.countryclubofasheville.net/index.cfm?ID=80
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #105 on: September 18, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
I didn't realize that the Grove Park Inn course was previously known as Asheville Country Club.  

It's also interesting that Ross is also credited for having "designed and built" the similarly named Country Club of Asheville in 1928.  

http://www.countryclubofasheville.net/index.cfm?ID=80

Up until 1976 the current Country Club of Asheville golf course was know as Beaver Lake golf course. That year The Grove Park hotel purchased their current course from CCA and then CCA purchased Beaver Lake. The club was knows as Asheville Country Club from 1905 until the mid 40's, when the name was changed to Country Club of Asheville.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:23:35 PM by Ben Hollerbach »

Ed Oden

« Reply #106 on: September 18, 2014, 03:37:03 PM »
Ed:

My read of the first article is that it is suggesting Ross laid out the course "over 20 years ago" or around 1903, not 1913.  I do not think that was the case.

As for the second article, it seems to be giving Ross credit for "laying out" the course due to his having lengthened it.  This was during a time when the Ross name was a bit of a marketing weapon.

Sven

Sven, you are right on the date.  My math skills are weak that late at night!  As for what Ross did, I have no idea.  As I said, I don't think these articles are dispositive.  My point is just that they can be read to support the club's version of events.  Who knows whether that is what actually happened.

Ed

Howard Riefs

« Reply #107 on: September 18, 2014, 05:19:29 PM »

Up until 1976 the current Country Club of Asheville golf course was know as Beaver Lake golf course. That year The Grove Park hotel purchased their current course from CCA and then CCA purchased Beaver Lake. The club was knows as Asheville Country Club from 1905 until the mid 40's, when the name was changed to Country Club of Asheville.

Thanks for explaining the interesting history. I'm glad there's not a quiz.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back