News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tyler Kearns

Hawktree GC -- Jim Engh
« on: December 06, 2002, 12:24:53 AM »
Due to the recent thread regarding both the quality of Jim Engh's design work, and the general lack of discussion of his projects here on GCA, I felt this could initiate some responses.

At Hawktree, Jim Engh was successful at providing a good golf experience at an affordable price; hence all the acclaim it received upon opening. However, upon playing there a couple of times in late summer, I was struck by my lukewarm reception of the golf course.

The first issue is walkability. Virtually impossible if attempted on successive days. The golf course is situated on a fairly severe parcel of land, and the holes play repititiously from tees located on high points down into the numerous valleys where the fairways and greens have been constructed. This is followed by a steep climb to the next tee, and so the story goes on and on. The problem here being, that the topography is not negotiated in a more gradual manner, and the residual slopes are a formidable challenge to both ascend and descend (requiring a golf cart yields it much less affordable!).

Because of this treatment of the land, the repetitive elevated tee shot looses its charm quickly. It is a difficult task to gauge distance from such heights, some dropping nearly a hundred feet (No.3, No. 7, No. 10, No. 16), which tends to make the experience unnerving rather than exhilirating.

Engh is definitely not afraid to move a lot of dirt in creating his golf courses, and although the bold undulations of the natural landscape warrants such earthwork to make the land golfable, at the end of the day, the work does not seem to exist harmoniously with its surrounds. The mounding is simply too uniform and gracefully sculpted.

In sum, Hawktree GC is a good course that provides a fair, affordable test of golf and enhances the golfscape of the Midwest. I focused more on the negative aspects in an effort to stimulate discussion, and would say that the $45 green fee is worth a couple hour drive to the course (just playing out of black sand hazards is worth at least $10!). For the value of the money, it is a positive step forward in the realm of golf course architecture; small budgets can provide a solid product. And maybe that's where the high ranking stems from, because in comparison with other new designs in recent years, it's not obvious to me.

Tyler Kearns  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Joel_Stewart

Re: Hawktree GC -- Jim Engh
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2002, 02:57:29 PM »
Tyler:
Good write up on Hawktree.  I probably should know this but where is Hawktree located?  For $45 it sounds like good value. Also, are they able to keep it in good condition?

For what its worth, Sanctuary is basically unwalkable as well.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2002, 03:57:26 PM »
Joel,
       Hawktree GC is located just outside of Bismarck, North Dakota in a soon to be very affluent suburb. A few estates have already been built on the periphery of the course, and as they continue to encroach upon the property, it will regretably lose a great deal of its prairie charm.
       The golf course does not maintain $45 green fees at the expense of the conditioning of the course. The turf seemed miticulously manicured and overall conditions were superb. In fact, they could stand to limit their maintenance, for it appeared a little too polished for not only my personal taste, but the surrounding landscape as well. But, as we all know, they will yield to what the market demands!!
        If you happen to make the trip to Bismarck, it's only another 3 hour drive to the north-west to the extremely remote metropolis of Ray, North Dakota; home of The Links of North Dakota. This is quite a gem, designed by Stephen Kay, and again, only $45.

Tyler Kearns

Matt Schulte

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2002, 09:08:44 PM »
I have played a few of Jim Engh's courses including: The Sanctuary, Red Hawk Ridge, Redlands Mesa, and Tullymore.  While they are visually pleasing I find a very repetitive style about his bunkering.  I hasten to say cookie cutter, however the basic design of his 18th green at Red Hawk Ridge design is basically copied at Redlands and Tullymore.  Certainly not duplicated, but you feel as though you have already played the hole somewhere else.  

Frankly, I am surprised that his designs continue to win best new awards.  The feel at Redlands Mesa is only unique from his other work because the site was so special.  Otherwise, the bunkering style is also identical.  

Does anyone else who has played a few of his courses feel this way?

L.O.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2002, 06:26:08 PM »
Tyler:  I agree with several of your comments but would like to mention a few things. I do not feel that Hawktree is unwalkable. Hawktree is my home course and many of us walk on a regular basis. In fact, I play with my 72 year old father  weekly and he walks. This walk on the prairie doesn't compare to what would be a difficult hike through the foothills of the Rockies at The Sanctuary.

Regarding the amount of earth Jim Engh moved on this golf course, the majority of the earth moved was for flood control. Much of the earth moved was to keep a portion of  the course above the flood plain of Burnt Creek which flows through the property. This will prevent future maintenance problems caused by spring floods.

The housing around the golf course is limited to along Hole #1 and far beyond holes #14, #15 and #18. Hawktree will keep its prairie feel with the wide open vistas from several of the elevated tees. Great place to feel the wind in your face on a warm summer day.

Tyler, hope you come back. We love to see visitors enjoying Hawktree.

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2003, 06:07:56 PM »
Just thought I'd bring this thread back up, since the discussion has once again returned to Jim Engh, this time in Ireland.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back