News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

GCA Quote of the Week
« on: May 05, 2005, 05:30:55 PM »
From John Daly, re the TPC of Louisiana:

"It's a great layout, it's long, but I don't like the zits in the fairway."  

Honorable Mention:

From Mike Dynda, men's golf coach at Drexel to his players after they questioned his decision to limit the players to only 10 clubs in the final round of their conference tournament:

"Well, it's kind of obvious to me that you can't play with 14 clubs, either."

(Drexel improved their score by 18 shots in the final round, after finishing second-to-last for the first 36 holes.  Two players used only 8 clubs each.)

Both quotes courtesy of GolfWorld Magazine.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Keenan

Re:GCA Quote of the Week
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2005, 05:59:22 PM »
I must admit the drop from 14 to 10 by the Drexel coach that resulted in improved scores makes me wonder, would that have the same impact on everyone.

I thought about my bag and I only have 12 clubs in it. On ocassion I drop the 5 wood so I get down to 11. Sure makes walking better I might add.

Well something to ponder
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

danielfaleman

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2005, 06:25:28 PM »
Reducing club sellection says all about how well/or not the players are instructed and coached. My high school coach did the same thing, but early in the season during practice rounds - we'd start with a 5-wood, 5i, 7i, PW, and putter. Then, we'd add clubs as we went along; but by competition, all 14.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 08:48:01 PM »
On relatively quiet days when the HS team I coach practices, I'll say "5 irons only, boys..."

They groan and only take one club out on the course.

Low scores get dinner on me. Works well and they hit shots they never knew they had.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2005, 09:07:06 PM »
I must admit the drop from 14 to 10 by the Drexel coach that resulted in improved scores makes me wonder, would that have the same impact on everyone.

Probably not on the teams that did well the first day.  The teams that did poorly (like Drexel) obviously had more room for improvement the second day.

It's a great lesson, though.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 02:25:21 AM »
I think the coup de grace in Peter Herreid's magnificent post - "PeeWee wanted to see Pebble Beach before he passed away" - has already achieved GCA folkloric status.

John Daly may be a bit of a one-off, but will we ever see the like of PeeWee again? ;)

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2005, 05:57:48 PM »
Playing with only a 5-iron can mess up your swing a little - those low hard hooks off the tee don't help your mechanics.

But, I did play a round where I was forced to take out my sand wedge and lob wedge. Result? I shot 3-under-par. Why? I think because I had to be extremely careful not to short-side myself. I played smart, missed in all the right spots, hit a bunch of greens and had easy up-and-downs when I missed.

Interesting...

Joe Hancock

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 08:08:16 AM »
Matt Cohn,

I've done the complete opposite, whereby I played entire rounds of golf using ONLY my sand wedge.

It does require the use of a very durable ball as the intentional skulled shot all day long can be pretty tough on the ball.

Then there was the times we played left handed, and the times we played using tennis balls.....it goes on and on.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back